Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-14-2010, 06:52 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Guys used to do that where I grew up. It must be a male thing...I've never seen a woman throw nuts in a soda bottle...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBmadera View Post
Barbara Mandrel did, at least she bragged about doing it in one of her songs....
Right about the one minute mark:

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2010, 07:03 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

When I was younger I used to spend recklessly - never going into consumer debt, but buying nice things and generous gifts. As I get closer to FIRE those things seem much less important. Nowadays "reckless spending" is usually under $50, and it's more likely to be about experiences, e.g. a bottle of good wine, a book, a concert ticket.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:15 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

I didn’t think DW and I were reckless spenders but due to our current situation we’ve had to take a very hard look at our spending. In the past I would brag about how far below our means we lived - solid income working in hi-tech but living in a modest paid for home with inexpensive paid for cars. But now that I am really looking at our spending weekly, line by line, I’m pretty troubled by what I see. All we had really done in the past is keep our fixed expenses low while our variable expenses went haywire!

We are now printing off our weekly budget each Saturday morning and tracking our spending day by day.

News flash: it’s MUCH harder for us to curtail spending that it was to just keep the income moving up.
JBmadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:42 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Well now -after being a 'cheap SOB' for a reasonbly long enough period to ER and dinking around for 16 years in ER, I keep hearing this vicious rumor:

'you can't take it with you.'

heh heh heh - so I'm trying to lighten up - a tad.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:37 AM   #45
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Well now -after being a 'cheap SOB' for a reasonbly long enough period to ER and dinking around for 16 years in ER, I keep hearing this vicious rumor:

Splurging on those "designer" Carhartt bib overalls instead of the Big Smiths?
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:44 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I guess i really pushed the boat out yesterday as not only did I get my colour touched up, but I had them throw in some expensive highlights. Guess it was worth it as they make me look 5 years younger and 10 lbs lighter, well at least I tell myself that to justify the cost.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:58 AM   #47
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I guess i really pushed the boat out yesterday as not only did I get my colour touched up, but I had them throw in some expensive highlights. Guess it was worth it as they make me look 5 years younger and 10 lbs lighter, well at least I tell myself that to justify the cost.
This thread is useless without pictures...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:01 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Admitting that on this board would be like telling someone on a vegetarian board that you just had a big steak dinner.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:02 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Splurging on those "designer" Carhartt overalls instead of the Big Smiths?
Better coffee shops?
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:16 AM   #50

Photos as requested:

Sorry had to edit can't work out to insert the photo

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:25 AM   #51

I recently bought a GPS and have it in the car but haven't actually used it yet, just turned it on and set it up. Seems most of the places I go around town are familiar and on the beaten path. I need to go out for a drive and play with it and recklessly burn some gas!
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:29 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Are you sure that GPS of yours will work up in Alaska?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:37 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Photos as requested:

Sorry had to edit can't work out to insert the photo
(Assuming this is not just an excuse) I, once, gave detailed instructions how to insert a file into a post:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post929034
Old 05-14-2010, 11:46 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I bet it looks terrific. I had that done a couple of times for special occasions a few years back. My hair stylist offered to do mine "next time" for her special regular customer price but then a potential customer came asking the price. She hemmed and hawed and came up with a number too high for the potential customer. When I went in "next time" without going for the highlight/color treatment her haircut price was 12% higher. Next time I'll go to the barber shop; it's fun because they have real barber chairs, do a good job, and there is no sticker shock.

Am I the only one who feels vulnerable and ugly getting a haircut? Tense even, some of those places try to give neck rubs and I get even more uptight. Fear of Delilah? Delilah-phobia?
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:38 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Tense even, some of those places try to give neck rubs and I get even more uptight. Fear of Delilah? Delilah-phobia?
I've never received a neck rub.....
Old 05-14-2010, 01:30 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I may just have to take a leisurely drive to Alaska and find out. It was purchased at Costco so maybe I could take the GPS back and complain if it doesn't do Alaska.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:06 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
My Garmin shows all of Canada and Alaska. From Here to Anchorage, for instance, is 3,371.2 miles (fastest time) and would take 57 hours and 48 minutes to drive. I assume they have satellite coverage up there.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:34 PM   #58

Ok see if these pictures work.

Nope, guess you have to officially label me as technically-challenged on this occasion.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:01 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Nope, guess you have to officially label me as technically-challenged on this occasion.
No! No! Don't give up. It must be me not explaining properly. Let me try again:

Step 1. If you are not clicking on the "quote" button to start your response, then click on the "Advanced" button.

Step 2. Click on the "Paperclip" icon on the Menu Bar at the top -- under "Message:" (to the left of the smiley face).

Step 3. In the new window (that opened when you clicked the Paperclip)click on "Browse." In the new window (looks like "My Computer"), go to where your file is located and highlight the file name. Click on "Open." Click on "Upload."

Step 4. A new section will show up entitled "Current Attachments." When your file is listed there, close the window.

Step 5. Go back to your post, place your cursor where you want the image (attachment) to appear. Click on the "Paperclip" icon again. Your file will be listed. Simply click on it.

Step 6. Click on "Submit Reply," stand back and admire your handiwork.

You may want to print this out before you start. When you are done, let me know what happened so I can adjust my instructions.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:36 PM   #60
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Maybe this will help: How to add photos to a post

Lots of good info on that thread...