Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-17-2010, 05:44 PM   #81
Administrator

We spent recklessly today, throwing money about with wild abandon!

We ordered the $4.95 lunch special at a family-run neighborhood Chinese restaurant that we often eat at with no ill effects (it doesn't have a buffet).

I downloaded a $10 book for my Kindle yesterday, so I guess lunch made up for that.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2010, 06:02 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
I park frugality outside the door of the beauty shop...I don't care what it costs. I would really have to be on the ropes to do without a good cut and my foil wraps. Ditto for the dentist...cost is not a factor. I'll wash out sandwich bags first and risk ptomaine!

Me too and add the Estee Lauder counter to the mix and throw in JJill clothes !

Old 05-17-2010, 09:22 PM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Me either. That's not included in the Supercuts $11.95 "Senior Cut" (though maybe it should be).
$11.95 for a haircut? hmmm, I've been paying $16 at Hair Cuttery - I guess that qualifies as reckless spending!
Old 05-17-2010, 09:27 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
If a man can stay clean and well groomed including fingernails and toenails, he has reasonable teeth and reasonable weight and he is not colossally boring he is home free with the ladies.
I agree! And the other thing that makes a man attractive at any age is genuine self-confidence.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:34 PM   #85
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
$11.95 for a haircut? hmmm, I've been paying $16 at Hair Cuttery - I guess that qualifies as reckless spending!
Well, it's $12.95 normally but they give me a buck off for being over 60. I think that probably varies depending on where you live. And yes! $16? Spending with wild abandon. I remember some women at work were spending $150/month on their hair (but then they are still working, and I am not, and I think maybe they couldn't afford it).

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-17-2010, 09:41 PM   #86
Administrator

Quote:
I agree! And the other thing that makes a man attractive at any age is genuine self-confidence.
So true, if/when that self-confidence arises from genuine, real, abilities and accomplishments that he has achieved in his life. Also the ability to carry on a truly intelligent conversation is a very attractive quality.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-18-2010, 05:38 AM   #87
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Me too and add the Estee Lauder counter to the mix and throw in JJill clothes !
Yes indeed! In my case it is the Elizabeth Arden counter and Jones New York. I went to my first JJill store when visiting friends in Houston earlier this year. Very nice clothes but no stores near me.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:46 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
One of the two things that I abhor spending $ on the a haircut (buying ice is the other, don't ask!). My cuttin' place charges about $12 normally, but on Wednesday the cut is on sale for $8. Of course, that does not include my usually generous $1 tip. You know what day I get it cut. I generally spread my cuts about 90-100 days apart. I'm on day 90 now.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:40 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

My hair cut costs $10, plus $2 for a tip. I need a haircut every 5 weeks though. It grows fast!
Old 05-18-2010, 06:56 PM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
My cuttin' place charges about $12 normally, but on Wednesday the cut is on sale for $8. Of course, that does not include my usually generous $1 tip.
C'mon...you are saving $4 and give a $1 tip? That's 12%. That's too low.
At least give $2. If you are waiting 90 days it must take the person at least 10-15 minutes. Just saying.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:59 PM   #91
Administrator

I give a $2-$3 tip with my $11.95 haircut.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-18-2010, 07:34 PM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets

I give a $20 tip at Christmas.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:41 PM   #93
Recycles dryer sheets

I give $4 on my $18 cut. A little over 20%.

I'd be embarrassed to give someone $10 for an $8 haircut and then ask for a $1 back. Your service the next time you go is probably not as good as it should be.

My mother was a hairdresser and I know what a hard job it was for her.
There's also the chair rental fee or the owner gets 50% of the money.

Tips really do help service people. But that's another thread.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:10 PM   #94

My barber charges $12 for a haircut. I have so little hair left that on any form I fill out that asks for hair color I'm tempted to write "flesh". The barber can cut may hair in 10 minutes or less so I tend not to tip; he owns the business so it's not like I'm depriving an employee of any money.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:08 PM   #95
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Don't cut or curl or color my hair.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:40 PM   #96

I tried to spend, and I'm by no means old enough to be a boomer.

Wife and I bought a fridge from Sears. Apparently they sold me an old model that LG no longer makes. Changed some thing "minor", I'm told. Would I like to change to the new model? (costs more, but they were going to price match the old price, looks the same, yadda yadda.) That was 4/22. Called them today (5/18), they don't know if it was ordered or when it will be delivered. My wife went thru the same manager-sales-customer service runaround 2 weeks ago, but it was supposedly ordered when she was done with them. So, we'll see. A different manager is supposed to call me tomorrow. Sears has been sitting on my $1500+.

Attempt to spend #2: Asked a RV dealer about a Forrest R. 18' X-lite. They had some in stock, but they were all "spoken for" which I interpreted to be "sold", but it wasn't stated that way. Weird? That was 5/4. So, I put $500 down to order one and he said he'd contact me when he had more info. He verbally agreed to refund my deposit if I didn't like the model. (Makes sense if they're selling like hotcakes, anyway.) Salesman sent me a purchase agreement that had some nasty fine print that said verbal agreements to refund deposits won't be honored. Hopefully that won't even be an issue since I really like this model. Price went up $300 on their website (different dealer than the website link) since the time I ordered, so I feel somewhat "lucky" in that regard.

I called today to see when it would be delivered to the dealership. Salesman had no idea, but would get back to me.

So, I don't know what the deal is. Poor inventory due to the catchall excuse "bad economy"? Poor/declining customer service? Just my anecdotal '2 for 2' bad luck, or what. My "high" expectations?

-CC
Old 05-19-2010, 06:14 AM   #97
gone traveling

Went to Subway to get lunch for DW/me. We usually get a $5.00 special and split it.

Today, I was a real spendthrift. I overspent by 40% and got a club-sub instead ($7 rather than $5).

Since I'm retired, I have to check if that extra expense exceeds my 4% withdrawl rate this year ...
Old 05-19-2010, 09:07 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonomore View Post
I give $4 on my $18 cut. A little over 20%.

I'd be embarrassed to give someone $10 for an $8 haircut and then ask for a $1 back. Your service the next time you go is probably not as good as it should be.

My mother was a hairdresser and I know what a hard job it was for her.
There's also the chair rental fee or the owner gets 50% of the money.

Tips really do help service people. But that's another thread.
For many years, I used to get a wash+dry+cut at my barber which cost me $13 the last 5 years or so and I would tip $3. But last year I decided to drop the wash+dry part and only get it cut (I had the time and desire to wash it just before I went there). So it now costs only $10. But I still tip him $3 because he still spends most of the time working on me with the cut as he did before, and I know the guy needs the extra buck more than I do (and in a weird way I feel I am depriving the shop of $3 because of my recent decision to wash before I go there). I go there once every 2 months as I always have.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:16 PM   #99

yup..

I blew $8.59 today having lunch at Pizza Hut with several former Air Force reserve unit co-workers I hadn't seen in awhile.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:10 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
I blew $8.59 today having lunch at Pizza Hut with several former Air Force reserve unit co-workers I hadn't seen in awhile.

That is pretty darn reckless however, you could write it off as a busuness expense if you discussed any USAF reserve business during the dine-in.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote