Join Early Retirement Today

Any regret for being conservative about investing
Old 02-12-2019, 07:14 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Any regret for being conservative about investing

Our allocation has been about 50/50 (equity/Fixed-income) since 2009. In retrospect, if we had invested 100% in the S&P 500, our portfolio would have been 50% larger. Obviously, hindsight is 20/20. Nevertheless, I am satisfied with the return of the 50/50 AA. Shifting to a higher equity level, e.g., 70%, may cause many sleepless nights.

The question is: Do you have any regret for being so conservative?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2019, 08:29 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - considering that I retired in 1999, I’m very glad that I never let my stock allocation go above 60% and also glad that I let it drift down gradually over the past 20 years. I think it was about 55/45 after rebalancing in 2009. I’m very comfortable sticking to 50/50 now and would only increase it slightly after a huge market sell off.

IMO 50/50 is not particularly conservative for a retiree living mostly off their investments.

Not looking for a big rollercoaster ride even if I could die with a much bigger portfolio.

BTW - I took tremendous investment risks while I was young and working, so up until 1999. Happened to correspond to an amazing bull market. I got lucky and it paid off. I don't consider those kinds of risks (~100% stocks and very high concentration in company stock) appropriate now that I am living off my investments.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:29 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Nope.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:31 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I ask myself “what gets a larger emotional response...winning $100,000 or losing $100,000. For me, the losing is a much larger emotion than the winning. For some, winning is a much bigger “high” than losing is a low.

I’d rather get some of the upside rather than all of the downside.
Canoesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoesmith View Post
I ask myself “what gets a larger emotional response...winning $100,000 or losing $100,000. For me, the losing is a much larger emotion than the winning. For some, winning is a much bigger “high” than losing is a low.

I’d rather get some of the upside rather than all of the downside.
+1 -- losing is painful & long lasting while the feeling of joy of winning is temporary.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:23 PM   #6

I have plenty of regrets. I was too conservative in my 30s, and 40s. I had more money on bond funds than stock funds. When stock market was up for a while, I kept moving money from stock funds to bond funds/cash. Had I not done that, I could have retired in my late 40s instead of at age 53. It's the single most expensive mistake I've ever made in my investment career. Sigh.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:28 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I'm personally more aggressive (~ 75/25), but I can't make any argument against 50/50. I think it's a perfectly reasonable choice. If it suits you, it suits you. Obviously, you must expect to trade off the chance of a big payoff for that lower volatility. But it's a choice, not right/wrong.

I might caution going much below ~ 40/60, IIRC, the historical success rates start to drop off below that point. So I think it is best to stay a bit closer to the middle of the range than to venture out near the edge. On the high end, it drops off only a bit at 95%.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:11 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I'm the opposite, we are about 90 percent in stocks... and while the ride up was great, I'd like to get off the train before it jumps the tracks.

So we are slowly working our % down to a more respectable 70%
Old 02-12-2019, 10:48 PM   #9

i'm not certain we've been conservative. started out 60/40 and now it's closer to 75/25. i went really aggressive on my 457 and it's more than doubled in 15-yrs. periodically have thought about tapping the brakes overall especially on that account but haven't so far.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:59 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

No regrets. We're still into the 100 / 40 retirement years = ~3.5% safe withdrawal rate if we can just keep up with inflation with a bit of real return thrown in. We're more interested in maintaining a low overhead lifestyle and avoiding big losses than going for growth with our retirement portfolio.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:59 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I have plenty of regrets. I was too conservative in my 30s, and 40s. I had more money on bond funds than stock funds. When stock market was up for a while, I kept moving money from stock funds to bond funds/cash. Had I not done that, I could have retired in my late 40s instead of at age 53. It's the single most expensive mistake I've ever made in my investment career. Sigh.
While working, for my 401k contribution I put too much into fixed income. Told myself I needed to learn more about stock investing, but never found the time to do that, even though I bought and read a few books.

Since 1998, I have been a more active investor, and run an AA with 60% to 80% stock. And yes, I time the market to change my AA.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:02 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
Our allocation has been about 50/50 (equity/Fixed-income) since 2009. In retrospect, if we had invested 100% in the S&P 500, our portfolio would have been 50% larger. Obviously, hindsight is 20/20. Nevertheless, I am satisfied with the return of the 50/50 AA. Shifting to a higher equity level, e.g., 70%, may cause many sleepless nights.

The question is: Do you have any regret for being so conservative?
Are you talking about during accumulation phase?

It’s a good idea to be more aggressive during accumulation phase and then gradually transition to something less aggressive starting say about 5 years before retiring.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:07 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I am actually thinking of being more aggressive now. At 59 I guess I have about 30 years left (based on family longevity) and my approx 65% in stocks seems a bit conservative. I don't worry about ups and downs but more about low returns not getting me through to the finish line...
VungTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:40 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Regrets? Yes, Selling Apple at $24. My shares probably made some of you guys rich! But your AA sounds reasonable to me. Markets go up, and they go down, and I wish everyone all the best and prosperity through many cycles.
GR111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:16 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

The initial question is asking for an emotional justification for a choice of investment strategy. That's where the trouble starts!

Get a long-range safe plan in place and stick to it. Usually that means somewhere near 60/40 or some sort of target date fund, YMMV.
PoorOldCountryBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:21 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Your AA should be one at which you sleep soundly at night and not make the focus of your waking hours watching CNBC.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:06 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Don't chase returns. Adjusting your equity portion up after a long bull market is likely to see it take a loss. Then you lament taking that chance, and sell at a low. Then you watch it recover and regret being out of the market so much. It's a recipe for buy-high, sell-low. 50/50 is a very reasonable AA. With 50% equities you are probably a lot better off than you were 10 years ago.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:08 AM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Klink View Post
Your AA should be one at which you sleep soundly at night and not make the focus of your waking hours watching CNBC.
Totally agree Col. I have always been 95% equitites with the 5% in cash as a reasonable emergency fund. Now I'm 80/20 as I've put all savings the last few years into cash/ST bonds to prepare for retirement. Planning to pull the plug next month...I'm still considering going as low as 75/25 (after reading many posts here) but I could never stomach less than 75% stocks. Even during December I slept like a log.
flybynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:13 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I'm a helluva lot more conservative than most here and I have zero regrets.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:28 AM   #20

no regets, 70/30 during accumulation, 50/50 now with some creep in equities between re-balancing.