Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-16-2014, 03:34 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Limit order for 200 shares CMG (ipo) at $44. Should have been a market order.
It closed at $552 today.
jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2014, 04:30 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I should have put my 401K contributions into 401K Roth IRA to reduce my RMD. I am now trying to do IRA - IRA Roth conversions and time is running out.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:41 PM   #23

Another 1:
I should have delayed receiving SS benefits until I reached FRA instead of taking it when I retired.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:49 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Had big gain in yahoo stock held in IRA. Converted it to Roth and paid taxes. Later stock went to almost nothing so ended up paying those taxes for nothing.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:32 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I wish I had made an appointment with a financial planner when I was 30, not 40. That initial visit was very embarrassing - I knew absolutely nothing, except to save (which I guess is something, as I ER'd at age 55). That first talk with my CFP started me down the path of self-education. Better late than never, I guess.
Sanbenito1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:53 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In the months coming up to ER, I regret not adjusting my AA sooner as I FIRE'd in Jan of 2008 when the great recession was starting to slip, slide away.

But I hadn't planned to FIRE in Jan 2008, instead situations at Megacorp made that the right time.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:30 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

First one is we wanted to buy a cottage. But we decided that would be too expensive, so we bought a trailer instead, one that was permanently settled on a little plot of land by a lake in a trailer park. $30k. It was a hassle commuting up there for weekends, and we had to mow the lawn which was huge. One time we went up, and the entire trailer was filled with flies. There must have been tens of thousands of them. Then, the owner announced the park had been sold and everyone had to remove their trailers. We were able to sell it for $1500, less than a year after we originally bought it. Oops.

My second is I bought a stock that had suddenly dropped around 60% due to a bad earnings release. I even talked my husband into buying some because I was sure it would rebound. A few weeks later, they announced the directors had been falsifying the financial reports and the stock is now worthless.
Spudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:52 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

My only regret is that I wish I had done some of the things I am doing in retirement earlier in life. Lesson learned. I am off and running as best as I can.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:20 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
My only true regret is not picking parents that were wealthier and better looking.
+1

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 04-18-2014, 07:05 AM   #30

After the government did not let Bear-Sterns fail, I took that as a signal that Lehman Brothers was a safe investment. We all know how that turned out.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:46 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
My only regret is that I wish I had done some of the things I am doing in retirement earlier in life. Lesson learned. I am off and running as best as I can.
^^ Ditto!
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:22 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I wish I'd been exposed to the ideas of ER and simple / sustainable living sooner. We could have retired years ago. C'est la vie - at least now we get it.

It has been pretty wild how much we cut from our budget just from small changes all adding up - LED bulbs, having more time to cook from scratch, eliminating most single use products, making use of the library, dropping cable, switching cell phone plans, etc.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:35 PM   #33

I regret not learning about passive investing and AA sooner. And getting cheaper financial advice. Wow I think I would be ridiculously wealthy if I had, instead of just very happily wealthy.
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:43 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been kicking myself for not doing a Roth conversion last year. We didn't have that much income, and it would have been a great time to do it. I won't make the same mistake this year - the last year before DH turns 59 1/2.
nanannjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:24 PM   #35

I have learned I take not making money much better than loosing money. So, I am ultra conservative. And am ok with it.
almost there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:28 PM   #36

Dot com stocks.........
almost there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:51 PM   #37

I was way too conservative when I was young. I was good at saving, but stuffed it all into conservative funds. Also, I was told that a house was a good investment. If I had it to do over, I'd understand that rather than "buy the most house you can afford", "buy the least house you can tolerate" would have been better advice. Rental real estate may or may not be a good investment, but the roof over your own head is mostly an expense.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:17 PM   #38

Would not have refinanced our current home. Didn't need to - could have paid cash for the remodel and the house would be paid off in 2016. We did learn our lesson and paid cash to build our retirement home. We plan to sell our current home in 2015 or 2016 and move into our retirement home. I just think about all the extra interest we paid - UGH.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:35 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Being too conservative over my investment lifetime; probably would have 2-3X what I have now, although being conservative enabled me to sleep better at night.
I resemble that remark, pretty much my biggest regret as well.
Derslickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:39 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh, and trading cars so frequently back in the "keeping up with the Jones" phase, learned about depreciation the hard way...
Derslickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote