Any thoughts on Fidelity Freedom Fund?

wrigley

Full time employment: Posting here.
Is it improper "forum etiquette" to ask what people think of a particular fund?

Mike

No. Ask away.

Is this fund similar to Vanguard Wellesley and Wellington? Thanks

Mike

I don't own one but the Freedom Fund's are a series of funds, similar to Vanguard's Target Funds, that are targeted to your date of retirement. More aggressive in your early years and much more conservative in your retirement years. Plus it is a fund made up of many funds to give you a balanced approach. Wellesley and Wellington are not a fund of fund approach but they are balanced funds.(stocks and bonds) Wellesley a 40/60 allocation and Wellington 60/40, plus they keep that allocation or close to it.

Hope that helps a little.

I don't own one but the Freedom Fund's are a series of funds, similar to Vanguard's Target Funds, that are targeted to your date of retirement. More aggressive in your early years and much more conservative in your retirement years. Plus it is a fund made up of many funds to give you a balanced approach. Wellesley and Wellington are not a fund of fund approach but they are balanced funds.(stocks and bonds) Wellesley a 40/60 allocation and Wellington 60/40, plus they keep that allocation or close to it.

Hope that helps a little.

Thanks....here's the makeup of the fund.

Mike

Attachments

• freedomincomefund.jpg
    freedomincomefund.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 2
Based on your other post, you are just 48 years old. This fund is pretty conservative for your age - only 18% stocks. Actually, the fund you mentioned is an income fund designed for those already retired. Boglish thinking would put you in an allocation of bonds equal to your age. Maybe a different Freedom fund would work for you, like 2015?

Last edited:
I was reorganizing my finances and looked hard at the Freedom Funds. The idea of having the fund on autopilot and growing more conservative through time is certainly appealing. And also the fact that you can choose a starting point for the equity/bond ratio among the different target dates. If you look at their holdings, there are a few that seem a little on the high risk side of things.

I was comparing the Freedom Funds against the Four in One Index which is weighted quite a bit more towards equities and has a simpler mix of index funds rather than managed funds. It's expense ratio is lower. And also the Vangard Wellington and Wellsley.

My simple read is that they are all good balanced funds that fit a little differenly into a porfolio.

and Wellington 60/40, plus they keep that allocation or close to it.
Dawg's information is essentially correct, however the Wellington allocation is a little more tilted towards equities than 60/40. From the Vanguard description of the fund:

"Balanced fund of roughly two-thirds fairly large, well-known stocks, one-third high-quality U.S. bonds."

Back
Top Bottom