Join Early Retirement Today

Anybody able to FIRE with kids still at home?
Old 03-30-2016, 05:57 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Seems like many people either have no kids or kids all grown up.
luckyiknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2016, 06:11 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I retired with two kids in college and no financial aid. It would've been cheaper if the kids were still at home and I would not have had to start mowing the lawn again.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:16 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm in a position to FIRE and have young kids, but I've chosen not to. Most of funds came from a successful business venture as opposed to saving early.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-30-2016, 06:30 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes, I still have one kid in college. Still paying tuition and housing. I'll be free next year.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-30-2016, 06:43 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Put two through a while back on the fly (no college funds). Retired 01/2015 with high school senior who is now 2nd semester at UC Berkeley paying out of state tuition (total $60k+/yr). Even with prestigious scholarships ie. national merit etc...they are only one time payments in the first year and only about $10k offsets. Funding primarily thru ongoing gifting. We factored all of this in before deciding to pull the plug and taking a severance package. We are doing fine and haven't touched investments while making do with DB pension and just starting SS payments. Never looking back.....
sheldon cornped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:43 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

One in college and two juniors in high school

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jabbahop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:52 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I have 3 kids. 2 are in elementary school. So far so good but I've only been at it a few years
Old 03-30-2016, 06:54 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I have 2 in middle school and one in high school - My last day of work will be 4/30/16. College is fully funded.
OnTheBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:53 PM   #9

I retired at age 50 with a one and three year old boys, hence my handle RE2boys.....retired early with two boys. It's been 16 great years being a regular part of their lives. Just completed the FAFSA as the older one will be in college in the Fall but I suspect we won't be eligible for any aid.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:18 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

FIRE'd one year ago, one child graduating from college this May. Counting on him to start supporting himself soon!
Raymond01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:32 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond01 View Post
FIRE'd one year ago, one child graduating from college this May. Counting on him to start supporting himself soon!

We've told our kids no "bungee boys" after the oldest said his post college plan included living at home and having mom cook for him. I give him credit for trying to live below his means ;-)
jabbahop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:34 PM   #12

Retired two years ago with two in high school, Grades 9 and 11, and two in university, first and third year. Now one in Grade 11 and 3 in university. Hoping all will get successfully launched but could take awhile of course. All good though. Planned to have good cushion.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:46 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Retired with 3 still at home. First will start college next year and I have to admit it is a concern. Due to assets, I doubt we'll be eligible for any financial aid, but the local state university is definitely affordable given they can live at home, get scholarships, and $2,500 tax credit.

Lazy Portfolio Investor:
AA: 55% Stocks
35% Bonds
10% Cash
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:06 AM   #14

Retired 3 years ago with a 6th grader in private school. We needed extra cash so she dropped out and is working at Abercromie Fitch...not. Grateful that I'm financially well prepared for whatever college she can get in, and that I'm available now when she needs me.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:44 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Official ER date is 6/1/16, but I've been on leave without pay since last August. I have two boys, 8 and 5. They can get free tuition at the college I am retiring from. (But paying their tuition is in my plan anyway - just to make sure I have that base covered).
eyeonFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:12 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

One college freshman. no financial aid but a well funded 529. He might be on his own for grad school.
Doribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:28 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Retired in 2012 at age 49 with one child still in high school. DW retired the following year. Our son will be heading off to college this fall. It can work.
523HRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:19 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

We are pretty much FIRE with an 11 month old and one on the way (aug 27th). We are both home everyday (not working) with the 11 month old and it is pretty fun these days. Those first 4-6 months were really tough being home all day with an insane infant though :/
YeahNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:25 PM   #19

When I retired my boys were 11 and 13... It's 2 years later... and they're 2 years older.

Advantage to retiring while kids are still under the roof:
- I can be "in their business" and make sure they're on track in school and not hanging with the wrong crowd.
- I have the emotional/mental bandwidth to deal with the teen drama and angst. It was harder when I was exhausted from working all day.

Disadvantages to retiring with kids under the roof.
- You have to do more planning for the financial aspect of launching them. I needed to make sure I had a plan for their college (529 funding, etc).
- I won't (choice) give them what they consider themselves entitled to: car at age 16, every electronic gaming system they desire, full ride at a private college. (I'm offering them bus passes and 4 years at a UC or CSU college... and opportunities to earn cash if *they* want to buy a new gaming system.)
Old 03-31-2016, 07:35 PM   #20
gone traveling

FIREd a year ago

2 kids still on my payroll

HS sophomore
State university freshman - no aid

It will be a while I'm sure before they can fly on their own. Fingers crossed that they launch successfully by early 20's...
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote