Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-29-2015, 11:41 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Already did my main buying on the previous dips ($400K) so burned up all of my dry powder, so now I am left with the monthly purchases within my 401K ($4417/mnth).
I am okay with that.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2015, 11:47 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
I am going to look close at some VWO if it dips into the mid $20s.
VWO in the mid $20's means another 22% drop from here. Come on, why are you so bearish?

That would take it way back to 2005, nulling out a decade of gains. Yikes!

If every stock is like this, posters who are not yet retired will be talking of doing OMD (one more decade). When they finally stop work, they will be ready for SS at 70.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:50 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Still accumulating so still buying, averaging down on most things. Don't really have 'extra' funds to put in now but if I did....bazinga more of something else that is down.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:26 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I try to stick to two moments a year where I reallocate - one in mid december, one in june.

If this keeps up I'll shift my equity allocation to 50% or even 55% (now at 40%). It will be invested in VT (mostly) and VOE, my only two passive funds.

Want to end up with 80% in equities eventually (somewhere in the next ten years).
Old 09-30-2015, 08:00 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Thinking about it but my little (successful) dabble from the August low seemed like a bit of a fluke. If I didn't get out when I did I would be loosing more and more. Not sure I could catch the right exits again so...
Old 09-30-2015, 08:03 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4Ward View Post
Wish I could, but I don't have the cash to do so. Dividends and capital gain distributions are paid out to my checking account and they cover my living expenses.

So far I haven't had to touch my principal since I ER'd almost 16 months ago and hope to continue that trend for several more years.

But yeah, if I had a large sum of cash laying around I'd be buying right now.
I'm in exactly the same boat. Neither a buyer, or heaven forbid, a seller.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:08 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm slowly moving to vasgx to simplify my investments and reduce anxiety. It's at a low right now. Nothing drastic but as I get closer to FIRE I've discovered my tolerance for variation is lower than I thought .

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 09-30-2015, 08:41 AM   #28

I'm sitting tight, but have changed my diet allocation from steak to top ramen.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:01 AM   #29

Bought 100K SPY at the close on Monday. Looking for a ST bounce only.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:26 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Just my monthly purchase. Generally I look a my AA to see if anything's off and buy accordingly, though realistically my monthy deposits don't move the needle much at this point. Despite all of the turmoil, everything is still well within my rebal bands. Had to put it somewhere, so dropped it into the short term bond fund.

401K for the year was maxed out back in Feb - learned some time ago to just maximize withholdings into it at 90% at the beginning of the year to layoff-proof my 401K deposits since I'm still w*rking and most companies do their layoffs later in the year.....
Old 09-30-2015, 11:44 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm always buying. Heck, the buying I did in 2009, when the "world was ending", was a HUGE factor in allowing me to ER as early as I did. That was investing lesson that I will take to my grave. As far as I'm concerned, there is never a bad time to buy stocks - especially since I prefer to buy equities that also provide a bit of income.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:07 PM   #32

Getting close again for me. Once the dow drops below 16000, I'll be buying again. I was getting tempted yesterday.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:12 PM   #33

From Wikipedia.org ===== On October 29, 2012, the stock exchange was shut down for 2 days due to Hurricane Sandy.[26] The last time the stock exchange was closed due to weather for a full two days was on March 12 and 13 in 1888
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm wondering if the Hurricane that seems to be taking aim on the northeast coast might have some negative affect on the overall US markets early next week?
Old 09-30-2015, 04:22 PM   #34

Only if we can't blame the fed, china or Greece

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:10 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I just recently bought 300 shares of UPS 300 shares of Disney 300 shares of Verizon and 300 shares of AT&T

These are all actually swing trades but since Verizon and AT&T are not moving I guess I'll just wait for the Dividends in the next few weeks.

Hopefully Disney will get another bounce and so will UPS and I'll Complete the trades.

I am doing these trades inside my 401(k) brokerage account so taxes are not a problem and I have access to a pretty decent amount of funds.

It's kind of risky but I only buy high-volume large cap dividend payers that I would hold long term if the swing trades don't go through.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:00 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
Bought 100K SPY at the close on Monday. Looking for a ST bounce only.
So did you sell today? There was a ST bounce.

I am doing the usual selling and buying as noted in LOL!'s Market Timing Newsletter thread.

Dry powder? I try not to have much cash around and just use a bond fund or two. I've even made money in my BND trades (see the thread). Today BND closed at 81.93 but it was around 81.08 or 1% lower just two weeks ago before the FOMC meeting. My goal is not to make a killing, but to consistently hit singles.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:47 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

The thread is titled Anyone Buying? The answer is obviously yes, if some people were not buying, volume would dry up and no trading would take place.

Ha
Old 10-01-2015, 01:11 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
...My goal is not to make a killing, but to consistently hit singles.
It's a step in the right direction that you don't intend to kill anyone, but, I don't understand your need to be constantly hitting singles. Sounds dangerous because one of these days a single is going to hit back.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:30 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I have some money from matured FI rungs that I am keeping dry looking for bargains. No hurry I think. Looking for more dividend content.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:07 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
So did you sell today? There was a ST bounce.

I am doing the usual selling and buying as noted in LOL!'s Market Timing Newsletter thread.

Dry powder? I try not to have much cash around and just use a bond fund or two. I've even made money in my BND trades (see the thread). Today BND closed at 81.93 but it was around 81.08 or 1% lower just two weeks ago before the FOMC meeting. My goal is not to make a killing, but to consistently hit singles.
No, I still own it. I need it to get a wee bit closer to 2000.