Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-01-2015, 12:38 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bought GM and a mid-size refiner in the August drop. I'm looking at buying another biotech like Biogen with the dividends that came in over the last 3 weeks.

In the mutual accounts, I'm looking to see if we test or break below the August lows and will slowly rebalance emerging markets mutuals/bonds; Europe; and midcap. I barely breached my stock holding % so need to add about 3% on the stock funds, which I'll do over the next 3 months, unless there is another big swing down.
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2015, 01:13 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

I have been doing some tax loss harvesting to bring my income down to "gimme the goodies" level this year (no net selling though, as I reinvested the proceeds immediately). And on Monday I put 5% of my cash reserve to work in the market. Kind of a timid move, but I expect more buying opportunities down the road as stocks are still far from cheap.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:59 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
I just put $180K in two days ago, split evenly between DVY and VYM.
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:26 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Haven't heard peep on the subject, so I was wondering the current mood and whether it signaled a buying opportunity for some, or if others feel we have further to go. Evaluations even with the recent drop are high according to number crunchers, which includes both stocks and bonds.

Of course the global markets are fueling the fire, but according to Carl Icahn's latest mini documentary, there is more to it than that. But then we must question the motives in putting it out.

I'm always buying when I have money. Which is probably why I'm always broke...
ESRwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:28 AM   #45

In 2013 I pretty consistently sold, mostly Total Stock, to the tune of around $1 million in sales. In the past month I've been a buyer, mostly of Total International, to the tune of around $140k in purchases.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-03-2015, 12:24 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been writing naked puts on stocks I wouldn't mind owning. Mostly they just expire and I keep the premiums. Recently did pick up GILD and AAPL as the stocks dipped lower than my strike.

Sent via ER iPad app
wingfooted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:10 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoJay View Post
In 2013 I pretty consistently sold, mostly Total Stock, to the tune of around $1 million in sales. In the past month I've been a buyer, mostly of Total International, to the tune of around $140k in purchases.

You obviously feel Total Stock has run it's course and Total International is up next. Yes?
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:01 AM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

During the latter half of 2014 I started reducing equities and moving the money into an Interest income fund. Starting last week I changed course and will dollar cost average back into equities.
jfn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:35 AM   #49

I had a CD matured last week and purchased RDS. Consider CVX if it is going to drop or remain same by the time my next CD matures next year.
VFK57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:49 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
You obviously feel Total Stock has run it's course and Total International is up next. Yes?

Modhatter, though I won't make any comments about WHEN things might turn, I do feel the US has had a great run and will likely underperform international over the next 10 or so years. I've also bought about $50k in the Vanguard energy ETF in recent months that I forgot to mention. Pretty much same theory of buying when all the talking heads scream sell. What about you? Theories??

Old 10-04-2015, 12:40 PM   #51

I am buying over last several weeks, adding to international equities position.

(—Charles Bukowski)
wanaberetiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:56 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoJay View Post
Modhatter, though I won't make any comments about WHEN things might turn, I do feel the US has had a great run and will likely underperform international over the next 10 or so years. I've also bought about $50k in the Vanguard energy ETF in recent months that I forgot to mention. Pretty much same theory of buying when all the talking heads scream sell. What about you? Theories??

I tend to agree with you on both counts. May take a couple of years for things to change Internationally, and I agree utilities look attractive now. I know they are volatile, but also think waiting out the bad times with larger dividends isn't so bad either.
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote