Anybody upsizing their house in retirement without a mortgage?

W2R... Please don't try to close this thread again... am using the story line in my new novel.
Promise to share the residuals... :greetings10::flowers:

Why the high cost? It was the only way we could build a house that would make me and my wife both happy. I wanted a large lot in the county with a 2000 SF shop building. She wanted to be in a nice neighborhood in the city. It turns out that large acreage lots in nice neighborhoods in the city where you can build 2000 SF shop buildings are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

With our newer home in November 2013, I did not win out with the lot and big shop I wanted :(, BUT I SURE BOUGHT A LOT OF NEW TOOLS INSTEAD!!:cool:

With our newer home in November 2013, I did not win out with the lot and big shop I wanted :(, BUT I SURE BOUGHT A LOT OF NEW TOOLS INSTEAD!!:cool:

I have included an ample tool budget in the shop budget. What use is an empty shop?

The architect insisted I give up 8' x 11.5' of shop space for a small dining area. She obviously does not understand that more toys in the shop are more important than eating! :LOL:

The architect insisted I give up 8' x 11.5' of shop space for a small dining area. She obviously does not understand that more toys in the shop are more important than eating! :LOL:

Women are that way. Guys can be happy eating beans out of a pot over a camp stove but a well-equipped large shop is a necessity.

Some people's priorities are indeed a mystery.

if you got the space, you can always build an outbuilding
My guess is that many guys would be happiest with a big outbuilding for a workshop/garage where they can work on projects without interruption.

I guess I fall in the middle on these things. I have no desire for either a workshop or a formal dining room. I keep my tools in the kitchen and on the rare occasion when I have Frank over for a meal, the kitchenette suffices.

I do like having a home gym room, though. :D Also I would love to have an attached garage if possible, or at least a carport to protect my car during hailstorms. Also, this time I do not plan to set up a guest bedroom so I really do not need a 3 bedroom place. If there is a third bedroom, I will use it for something else.

Last edited:
We have a 4 car attached garage. Is that enough? My only defense is it came with the house. :)

P.S. But then there is a very tiny attic.

With enough space, it would be nice to have a workshop like Norm Abram does.

images

However, I guess I am getting old and tired, and do not want to set up something like that anymore. What do I build all day with such a facility? My electronic projects, my cooking experiments, and a bit of gardening take up all my time. And there's dirt bike riding and RV treks. Different activities for different people of course.

Anyway, back on the OP's idea of upgrading the home in retirement, I used to entertain the idea of relocating to the Puget Sound, preferably on Bainbridge with a waterfront lot with a view of the Seattle skyline. Yes, it would be a major upgrade even if the new home were the same size or even smaller, as it would take selling both of my homes plus some additional cash to get a home on a lot with the above features.

I have given up the above idea though. Too old and tired to move, plus we both have a lot of family roots here. We are both close to our siblings and extended families, and would be lonely out of state. And with my homes only 2-1/2 hr drive apart with entirely different climates, I slowly realize that the grass is not really greener elsewhere.

Note: no grass with either home, with xeriscape in one and natural high-country evergreen landscape with the other. :)

If you have the time to look at this:

MY WORKBENCH HD 1080p - YouTube

Very nice, but more work than I'd want to do now. He did say that it took 11-12 years to get to that point. I don't do much in the way of woodworking, for the most part it was R/C airplanes and I kind of plateaued on that I guess.

Very nice, but more work than I'd want to do now. He did say that it took 11-12 years to get to that point. I don't do much in the way of woodworking, for the most part it was R/C airplanes and I kind of plateaued on that I guess.

Imagine the work that went into that shop. Seeing I am setting up a new shop in our newer home (moved 11/13), I showed that to DW and she said "not in our garage"! ;)

Back
Top Bottom