Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-22-2016, 07:20 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

My DW invested a chunk in mining and gold stocks a couple years ago. Got her butt kicked, won't do that again. Probably an ok time to invest now, but keep it to a really small amount. Some of these firms have been declining steadily for 8-10 years now.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
OrcasIslandBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2016, 07:56 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Gold is the worst investment in comparison with stocks, bonds, CD or most other assets. However the Financial cataclysms and hyper inflation happens and USD is not immune to it. Therefor I think that keeping small amount of your assets in Gold is like keeping a small insurance policy just in case.
VFK57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:18 AM   #23

Interesting Info: Comex indicates 73% drop of physical Gold in their vaults. In comparison with August 2015 it states reduction in physical Gold is 8 times. They also state that only 1 in 542 future contracts are guaranteed with actual physical Gold delivery.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:43 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
... Although, the problem I see with silver, in the quantities I'd want, is where to store it. Just $100,000 in silver would be about 450 pounds at today's spot prices. That starts getting pretty heavy and takes up a lot of room.
If you like, we could store it in my garage.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:29 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Since this thread started back in Jan it seems the OP (Moneymaker) may have been asking a good question at the right time. Gold (and silver) have made a significant run this year.

I have considered having a small percentage of a gold fund (SGOL) be as part of my asset allocation to buffer against a major downturn. Currently, I have none and sit at 40% bond funds - 60% stock funds. I am thinking the 3-5% range coming from the stock fund allocation.

BUT the big question/concern I have is if now is a good time or not. I would see this allocation staying in place for at least 10 years. So as the OP stated in the subject line: Anyone buy gold right now?
SoReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Bought some IAU
Old 05-01-2016, 10:20 PM   #26
Confused about dryer sheets

Bought some IAU

Bought some IAU...already a good run, but I expect a lot more...small part of the portfolio....
Burkmere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:28 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoReady View Post
Since this thread started back in Jan it seems the OP (Moneymaker) may have been asking a good question at the right time. Gold (and silver) have made a significant run this year.

I have considered having a small percentage of a gold fund (SGOL) be as part of my asset allocation to buffer against a major downturn. Currently, I have none and sit at 40% bond funds - 60% stock funds. I am thinking the 3-5% range coming from the stock fund allocation.

BUT the big question/concern I have is if now is a good time or not. I would see this allocation staying in place for at least 10 years. So as the OP stated in the subject line: Anyone buy gold right now?
Yep, I was VERY wrong.... darn....
But now.. I don't see how GDXJ can go up much more, since it about doubled from when I started watching it..
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:22 PM   #28

Several gold mining stocks are up over 100% this year. I've always held some, and realized LOTS of losses as I switched among them over the last couple years. Even with the recent run, only 5-6% of my port.

Hanging on for now. Don't want to pay the short term cap gains, and frankly, I don't know where I'd go with the $.
gcgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:35 AM   #29
gone traveling

Warren Buffett cured me of any desire to own gold after I read this quote of his, "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
AtlasShrugged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:07 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I purchased a small position in a gold mining etf (GDX) in early March based on the recommendation of a momentum following newsletter which I follow. It is up 31% to date. I’m hanging on to it until I get a sell signal.
Islandtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:03 AM   #31

Finally got out of my gold coins very close to $1300. It will be interesting to see how long that money, once invested, takes to recover my losses...
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:09 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymaker View Post
If anyone lives by the motto of buying when everyone is scared, isn't now a good time to buy Gold or Gold miners (GDX/GDXJ)?
Who is 'scared' re: gold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
As I look back over my investing lifetime (30+ years) gold (and resources generally) has been the worst asset class to be in - it provides no income, has probably not kept up with official CPI numbers (a bit higher than the US were I live), has not provided any diversification benefit and has under performed just about every other asset class I could sensibly invest in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
I've only lost money in 2 investments that I've held for a 15+ year period. Gold and silver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Based on all the negative comments in this thread, I'd say gold would be a great investment about now.
Those are some pretty long-term negative assessments. I'm not sure how well that would translate into any sort of a timing indicator...
Old 05-02-2016, 08:58 AM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not sure about gold itself, but gee the gold mining company bonds have been paying off nicely. My May 1 payment on the bonds I bought at a 62% interest rate are enough to buy quite a few gold coins.

I guess Buffett was wrong. Gold can make baby gold.

Or maybe I am selling shovels and boots to the miners like the days of old.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:04 PM   #34

So far I'm very happy with my gold exit timing!
Old 05-02-2016, 04:30 PM   #35

I bought GLD in early '07 in DW's rollover, fearing a crash, then sold in '09 and '10 for almost an 80% profit, wanting to purchase stocks in her account.
My main account was holding cash (twice the allocation), so I placed the equivalent of DW's GLD in FSAGX (Fidelity Gold Mining fund) and eventually doubled the amount over the next two years, since the ostensible allocation was about 5% in commodities (half in PMs); the thesis was that the miners generally move 2-4x the gold price, so FSAGX was leveraged PM.
The miner fund went up for a year or two, then started sinking in 2013 and 14, about 55% down, when I took some stock gains and added another 25% position, then it sank another 17% in '15.
Now it's up almost 75% YTD, and I'm about even since 2006, if you factor in the original position in GLD. I considered putting a little more in in January, but since I was down about 1% in the total portfolio in 2015, I didn't have a lot of gains to take, other than some bonds I wanted to keep.

So the miners are uncorrelated, but a wild, wild ride. GLD or SLV are similar but not quite as exaggerated.
Take of this what you will. It's a small percentage of the portfolio, which raises the question whether it's even worth bothering.

On the other hand, right now it is a sizable percentage of the ytd portfolio gains, which is similar to my experience with biotech and health, although I overweighted them at a considerably higher weight than FSAGX but thankfully harvested gains from 2012-early 2015, to the point that the gains in shares sold are almost 2x the current position. Should the FSAGX run continue through the year, I'll probably take 20-25% off the table.
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:35 PM   #36

Majority of Early Retirees here do not like Gold for obvious reasons. However if you are going to take a look at Gold price vs $US strength, you will find a direct relation (like shadowy Gold standard). The GDP#1 is the European Union currently so let's take a look on Dollar vs euro vs Gold prices. In 2011 we had 1 Euro = 1.45 $US or weak dollar, the 1 Oz Gold was at $1,900. Then in Nov 2015 the exchange rate was 1 Euro for $1.07, much stronger dollar vs $1,068 per 1 Oz Gold. If you are afraid of sharp dollar decline, it worth to keep physical Gold, possibly Gold Mining stocks. Most funds like GLD do not have adequate physical Gold supply to cover all their customers stocks holdings (only very large stock holders can get physical Gold in exchange for shares). Why dollar could decline is because weaker dollar attracts more production, stronger dollar causes production shift to countries with weaker currencies. It is regulated by the Feds here but other counties understand it as well and manipulate their currencies in order to gain an advantage in trade: US places 5 countries on trade monitoring list - Business Insider
Old 05-03-2016, 05:37 PM   #37

I am a bit over 5% in gold at the moment, not buying more but not planning to re-balance lower either. It has been a good performer for me, purely because of lucky buy timing near the multi-year bottom.

Mostly, I consider it a hedge (insurance) against things like a falling USD as mentioned by VFK57. And, I have no interest in being over-insured.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:03 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFK57 View Post
...Most funds like GLD do not have adequate physical Gold supply to cover all their customers stocks holdings (only very large stock holders can get physical Gold in exchange for shares)....
I don't think this is true. Only creation / redemption units of 100,000 shares can be added or withdrawn from the trust. This is how ETFs work. It does not mean gold certificates do not back the trust.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:48 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
I don't think this is true. Only creation / redemption units of 100,000 shares can be added or withdrawn from the trust. This is how ETFs work. It does not mean gold certificates do not back the trust.
You are correct. Yet I had only about 250 shares and got advise from one of my friends that if I want to sell the GLD, I would get only dollars not physical Gold despite the advertisement that it is fully backed by physical Gold. Whem I contacted them I got same reply that in order to get actual Gold I have to have over 100,000 shares (at the time I sold it the cost of 100,000 was over $13,000,000).
Old 05-03-2016, 08:33 PM   #40
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFK57 View Post
Majority of Early Retirees here do not like Gold for obvious reasons.
I clearly don't know what the obvious reasons the majority of ER's don't like Au are since I'm in at 9% with no plans to reduce.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote