Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone close enough to one of these?
Old 10-22-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Anyone close enough to one of these?

Foreclosed Properties: Buying Foreclosed Home, Properties & Foreclosed Home Listing For Sale

Always wanted to attend for sihts and grins, if for nothing else. But none of these places is nearby.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2007, 01:58 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

None are close for me either, but we could carpool.

cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 03:13 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Foreclosed Properties: Buying Foreclosed Home, Properties & Foreclosed Home Listing For Sale

Always wanted to attend for sihts and grins, if for nothing else. But none of these places is nearby.

Not near any of those but I have noticed short sales being advertised locally .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 03:28 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Not near any of those but I have noticed short sales being advertised locally .
A hairdresser on TLC's "Property Ladder" managed to find a nice 4BR/2BA foreclosure fixer-upper for $70K. I think her flipper budget was $10K.

At least it was until they found what the rodents had been stuffing into the voids behind the drywall...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 03:48 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There are a bunch that are less than an hour driving distance from me, but I'm afraid to go there without a revolver.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:01 PM   #6

none of the upcoming auctions listed are close to me but from what i hear and read they seem to be getting closer all the time.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:54 PM   #7

Brewer,

Thanx for the lead ... the northern MA listings are local for me. I plan to attend.

Skimmed the list quickly ... one address caught my eye. I sold a SF to the foreclosed owner in 2005 she kept a duplex on the same street for rental income. Proceeded to drain equity to rehab the SF into her dream home ... and now the duplex has been foreclosed. Interesting.

Attending will tell alot about where we are in the cycle. With financing available I'ld expect most deals to sell above reasonable rental rates (i.e. can't profit yet by renting them out). But we won't know until the auction happens. Just seems like there's too much liquidity out there.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:59 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
Brewer,

Thanx for the lead ... the northern MA listings are local for me. I plan to attend.
If you do go, do us a wriet-up on what you see. It would be especially interesting coming from a very seasoned investor who knows the local market.

- George Orwell

Old 10-23-2007, 11:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
There are a bunch that are less than an hour driving distance from me, but I'm afraid to go there without a revolver.
You need to move to a better place.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
You need to move to a better place.
I'm in a good town north of Boston where the schools are good and there is practically no crime. There are also no foreclosures in this area though.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:54 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I have lurked at public real estate auctions on the steps of our county court house a number of times. Very interesting, time honored way to pick up real estate, I guess. I have never been tempted to make a bid as the rest of the folks (many seem to make it a regular event each month) seem to really be knowledgeable about local real estate market and I have never had the time (or inclination) to get that involved.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:24 PM   #12

The nice thing about these auctions is that the seller cleans up the title of all subordinate leins. Very similar to the HUD auctions in the early 90's.

Quote:

I'm in a good town north of Boston where the schools are good and there is practically no crime. There are also no foreclosures in this area though.
Need to look closer ... some these houses have OCEAN view (bring your gun during duck season).
Old 10-23-2007, 06:29 PM   #13
gone traveling

Wonder how many of those homes went up in flames in CA this week?
And what becomes of them if they had not gone into foreclouser yet?
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:59 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
The nice thing about these auctions is that the seller cleans up the title of all subordinate leins. Very similar to the HUD auctions in the early 90's.
The clean title is what I find attractive about these auctions vs. buying on the courthouse steps.

- George Orwell

Old 10-24-2007, 06:37 AM   #15

Yeah, hate to find out after closing for cash that the town has a tax lien and/or the condo fees are a few years back.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:21 PM   #16

Well, I said I thought liquidity was still too high; watching ~150 homes be sold at an REO auction confirmed my suspicions. Here’s the high/low lights from the second day REDC Boston West home auction.
  • Every property sold above the banks minimum bid. 45 were sold absolute (no minimum). The banks set the minimum bids without regard to what was owed on the property.
  • Financing was offered by Countrywide on the vast majority of the home. Only those homes with: Title 5 septic issues, encumbered titles (e.i. wet land issues), flooding issues, major repair issues … were not financed. If financing was not available the auction was “cash only”.
  • Winning bids averaged 60% of the “Bank Value”. I believe the bank value is tied to an appraisal (not the foreclosed amount).
  • Very few (~ a dozen) sold at values which could be supported by market rents. These few were in the inner city.
  • Many bidders did not do their homework. About 1 in 5 were sent back to auction a second/third time because – I am guessing - preapproval for financing could not be obtained. Also watched a couple properties in well established flood zones sell in the six-figures.
I have a scatter plot of the 152 auctioned homes. I used the downloadable sheet from the web link then added a row for the auction price. But I need instructions for cut'n pasting from excel (tried twice).

This auction is only the tip of the iceberg. At the end of the auction it was announced that the next auction date will be held in March 2008. So the pipe line is already well established.

FWIW, I was qualified to bid. Never raised my card. The 2 homes I was interested in quickly hit my limits and sold 20 and 70k beyond me. Even my limits were beyond rent sustainability. I was looking for the winter project (flip).
Attached Files
File Type: doc REDC Auction - Boston West.doc (32.0 KB, 21 views)
Old 11-13-2007, 03:36 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Very interesting. Thanks for the write-up. About what I expected, really. Dunno about you, but I am not expecting prices to get to levels that might be supported by rents until late next year (if at all).

- George Orwell

Old 11-13-2007, 05:13 PM   #18

I went to look at a couple of these properties. Even at the discounted prices, they are not worthwhile investments. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these same properties get foreclosed on a second time.

It also doesn't surprise me that there was overbidding since REDC advertised the hell out of this auction with TV infomercials, radio commercials, brochures, follow-up postcards and emails.

There will be plenty more foreclosures in the next year or two.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:23 PM   #19

Yeah, we agree ... it's TOO EARLY. Need Countrywide to loose a few BILLION more and stop financing and refinancing these things. THEN investors will be bidding with thier check books. And the sale values will be supported by market rents.

When that happens is anyones call ... but I'll at least know what it looks like.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:56 AM   #20

Looks like we've got at least a couple years before a bottom is found:

Quote:

Mortgage giant Countrywide Financial said Tuesday that it financed $22 billion worth of home loans last month — down 48 percent from a year ago. The lender, which was one of the biggest suppliers of subprime loans to borrowers with risky credit backgrounds, said it wrote just $42 million worth of subprime loans in October. That’s down from $3.3 billion a year ago.

Have you been hit by the mortgage meltdown? Send us your story, and please include a photo of your house. Click here to submit your story.

Congress and the White House continue to look for ways to hold back the rising tide of foreclosures being created by a wave of “resets” on adjustable-rate mortgages. Many of these ARMs will jump over the next two years from low, initial teaser rates, resulting in high payments that many homeowners’ will be unable to afford.
Foreclosures hit some cities hard - Mortgage mess - MSNBC.com