Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Anyone comfortable with 100% stock?
Old 11-28-2004, 06:39 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Aren't you happy that society has decided to make sure that the financially incompetent aren't starving in the streets?
I must tell you that if the same rule of "smarts"/ common sense applied to the USA as it does in most third world countries there would be a lot of people starving in the streets. A couple of examples you say?
The average household credit card debt is $8,000.
I was listening NPR this morning and they had the segment where a caller asks the ethicist a question. This guy says I want to donate blood but because I lived in a particular part of Africa I am not allowed to donate blood. So is it OK for me to lie when I'm questioned at the donation center? I've lied about it in the past. Can you belive this? This guy knows better than all medical authorities and is willing to taint the blood supply!
Eventually, people will be dying in the streets and the government won't be able to do anything about it. The laws of nature and economics eventually prevail.

It would be nice if governments could protect us from ourselves but eventually it catches up with us - look how the value of the dollar is falling.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2004, 05:21 AM   #62

Hey dex! Anyone waiting for the government to protect
them (from themselves or others) is likely to be disappointed. Now, obviously the government has a role to play, but it has expanded way beyond any
appearance of good sense. For those of you waiting for
the government to solve your problems, I respectfully
suggest you remember the definition of insanity.

John Galt
Old 11-29-2004, 09:06 AM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
No SS, no pension, no inheritance.
Don't forget no Medicare. An 80 year old couple is looking at $2000/month in private health insurance premiums.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:11 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hey dex! *Anyone waiting for the government to protect
them (from themselves or others) is likely to be disappointed. *Now, obviously the government has a role to play, but it has expanded way beyond any
appearance of good sense. *For those of you waiting for
the government to solve your problems, I respectfully
suggest you remember the definition of insanity.

John Galt
John,
I think we got where we are because everyone expects it to protect them from the realities of life. Go to most 3rd world countries and the people are more in touch with life. There aren't any safety nets. And, you know what; for all the poverty, injustice etc they may be more in touch with life. While we worry about safe withdrawl rates and do I have enough to retire they are living life - a more real life, a more ... connected life?
Old 11-29-2004, 10:41 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Go to most 3rd world countries and the people are more in touch with life. *There aren't any safety nets. *And, you know what; for all the poverty, injustice etc they may be more in touch with life. *While we worry about safe withdrawl rates and do I have enough to retire they are living life - a more real life, a more ... connected life?
I think you are romanticising. The "white man's dreams of the noble savage" to put it in an 18th century perspective.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:26 AM   #66

Hey Hyperborea. I think he was romanticizing too, but cut him some slack man! We all have our fantasies.
Hell, I still think I can stay retired comfortably owning
no stocks

John Galt
Old 11-30-2004, 05:33 AM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
...they are living life - a more real life, a more ... connected life?
Pol Pot killed a million Cambodians, the Hutu Tutsi conflict has resulted in another million people macheted to death by government troops. How is any of this a more real life? I would rather see the government trying to help, however inefficiently, than perpetrating such atrocities. I don't see the attraction of such third world governments. I can be connected just fine right here.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:42 AM   #68

Hello Michael. Third world countries have no attraction for me either. BTW, any student of history can tell you
that the history of mankind (oxymoron?) is largely
atrocities, warfare, genocide and all manner of
horrors. I have a neat little pocket book from
Random House 'Great Events of World History', 90%
killing, mayhem, starvation and disease. Not a pretty
picture.

John Galt