Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone else a little frustrated with things right now?
Old 05-19-2016, 06:49 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

I am referring to "income streams" specifically from investments. This eliminates things like rental income, income from a side business, annuity income, pensions and /or social security.

Where are you looking or better yet "generating" income from your investment portfolio. Stocks were essentially flat last year ( not including some random esoteric etf ) and YTD flat again; bonds in the 2-3% yield range unless you want to venture out on the yield curve and take on a lot of interest rate risk or junk bonds with their inherent problems. Cash and MM accounts are pathetic right now. What if stocks are flat throughout this year and again next year?

In light of this have you perhaps decreased your withdrawal rate if you use a total return approach or supplemented dividend income with cash to cover expenses? Curious to know what others think and if anyone is thinking "outside the box."
MrLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2016, 07:01 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The 4% withdrawal rate accounts for flat and down years. You shouldn't have to do anything.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:03 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
The 4% withdrawal rate accounts for flat and down years. You shouldn't have to do anything.
I guess that cover 30 years on average?
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:10 AM   #4

Quote:
+1
bclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:10 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I have had a slow but steady decline in my 7 years of ER in the dividends per share in the main bond fund which supplies me with the monthly cash to cover my expenses. I have done a few things to counteract that, though. One is to add shares to the bond fund so I earn pretty close to the same monthly dividends as I have had before. I do this in 2 main ways: (1) from reinvesting the cap gain distributions in the fund, and (2) from investing any excess bond fund dividends over my expenses back into the fund.

Another thing I have done in the last few years was to start taking as cash the quarterly stock fund dividend instead of reinvesting it automatically. These quarterly dividends happen to coincide with the occasional spikes in my expenses such as estimated income tax payments and semi-annual car insurance premiums. Of course, this means the stock fund isn't increasing as much from those reinvestments being diverted. I had always considered this option when I first ERed, like a Plan B.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:23 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Inflation was 1.1% last year, so also flat in a sense
AboutThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:29 AM   #7

My divs (biggest source of cash flow) have been growing at about 7% per year. Not frustrated at all?
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:42 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
My divs (biggest source of cash flow) have been growing at about 7% per year. Not frustrated at all?

Interesting. Mind if I ask do you pick individual stocks looking for those companies with a history of increasing dividends or a dividend growth/appreciation mutual fund?
MrLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:34 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLoco View Post
....In light of this have you perhaps decreased your withdrawal rate if you use a total return approach or supplemented dividend income with cash to cover expenses? Curious to know what others think and if anyone is thinking "outside the box."
(1) No decrease in allowable withdrawal rate of 4% + cost of living adjustments each year.
(2) In 2014/2015, shifted part of portfolio to allow for more dividend collections (VDIGX, CVX, XOM, T, EMR). Where individual stocks picked, focused on Dividend Aristocrats with P/E ratios I felt were reasonable
(3) Have a couple years of expenses covered by available cash and intermediate term bonds (VWIUX).
(4) Keeping good track of expenses so if we need to cut after awhile, know where that can be done easily and what impact it will have.
Whisper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:45 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I view the current stall as a temporary thing. (temporary: a few years or hopefully less)
Dividends, SS and occasional CGs pays the bills.

Not making any changes but have been quietly thinking about other options with a low-ish entry point (under $100K) like perhaps some sort of restaurant startup or property syndicate.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:58 AM   #11

I'm frustrated it has not gone down fast enough. Let's get it over with, the downturn, so other people can come in.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Interesting. Mind if I ask do you pick individual stocks looking for those companies with a history of increasing dividends or a dividend growth/appreciation mutual fund?
The S&P can do that without trouble. There is no need for stock picking. Even DVY will do that.

S&P 500 dividend growth is slowest since 2009 - MarketWatch
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:11 AM   #13

Quote:
What if stocks are flat throughout this year and again next year?
What if stocks are flat for the next ten years or more ?
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:49 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I am referring to "income streams" specifically from investments. This eliminates things like rental income, income from a side business, annuity income, pensions and /or social security.

Where are you looking or better yet "generating" income from your investment portfolio. Stocks were essentially flat last year ( not including some random esoteric etf ) and YTD flat again; bonds in the 2-3% yield range unless you want to venture out on the yield curve and take on a lot of interest rate risk or junk bonds with their inherent problems. Cash and MM accounts are pathetic right now. What if stocks are flat throughout this year and again next year?
My attitude is, so what if they are? The stock market is going to go up and down or stay flat or whatever, always has and always will. My strategy is to just hang on and wait when things are not to my liking. I'm not selling or buying, but I am still collecting dividends. As the saying goes, "pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered"; in other words, excessive greed is a good way to lose money. For me, this means that absolutely no market timing is on my horizon.

Quote:
In light of this have you perhaps decreased your withdrawal rate if you use a total return approach or supplemented dividend income with cash to cover expenses? Curious to know what others think and if anyone is thinking "outside the box."
Well, I have dividends (which I receive in cash), pension, and social security, thank heavens, plus I have had a conservative approach to planning my retirement finances so I have a lot of "wiggle room" in my portfolio. Thank goodness for that. I had to withdraw more than usual last year and this year, due to buying my Dream House in cash, fixing it up the way I want it, the costs of selling my previous home, and unexpected high medical/dental expenses. Lately I have relied solely on my cash reserves for withdrawal money, and haven't had to sell for about a year.

My instincts are to kick up the LBYM to help, not in dealing with the market but in dealing with so many unusual expenses in the past year or so. Right now I am cutting back on my discretionary spending a little for the rest of the year, as a form of "damage control".

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:57 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
What if stocks are flat for the next ten years or more ?
Ugh! I guess I may have to draw SS early.

Oh wait. After 10 years, I will be at the end of SS delay period anyway, so will have to draw no matter what.

That also coincides with RMD on IRA. The question is how much will be left there for RMD anyway.

PS. If I can manage to stay even with inflation, my WR times 10 years should still leave me with roughly 2/3 of the stash in 10 years.

So, flat market is good. Down market, now that's a whole 'nother story.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:13 AM   #16

I wonder why I'm too chicken. I don't plan to use my retirement money until 15 more years or RMDs. And only then do I need to withdraw 2.5 %. Right now I have other income to cover my expense, all COLA except my pension. And my liquid asset is a lot less than my non liquid asset.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:17 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

You can always move from SoCal, and convert that non-liquid asset into cash.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:24 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
You can always move from SoCal, and convert that non-liquid asset into cash.
I don't have to move. I just need to sell one of my houses. But I think it's deeper than that. More pain when it goes down for some people.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:38 AM   #19

Quite frankly, I'm surprised this discussion is even taking place (perhaps I shouldn't be??). If you've constructed a well thought out investment policy statement it would have accounted for the very worst of outcomes (least of all the current one) and you should still be able to sleep well at night. In other words, if you've done your homework well and well in advance the market's gyrations of the day should be of little interest.

There is just too much literature out there for this concept to be new news at all (e.g., why people continually mention Buffet and other "gurus" and then proceed to ignore the very advice they so liberally give to ordinary investors is beyond me; Buffet has stated in a myriad of ways that he has no idea what the market is doing or where it's going nor does he care. He invests for value, never speculation. Regarding portfolio balances, there's John Bogle's consistent warning of "Don't Peek!"). Larry Swedroe just posted regarding investor overconfidence. and it goes on and on and on...

"Cheating" off another's "test" and hoping for the best has always been easy. Doing the hard homework of thinking this stuff through before it's needed is the hallmark of investment wisdom.

Here are Dirk Cotton's most excellent recent and timely (as well as sequential) posts on this very topic:

The Retirement Café: A Model of Retirement Planning, Part 1

The Retirement Café: Adding Risk to the Model, Part 2

The Retirement Café: A Random Walk, A Sequential Game, Part 3

The Retirement Café: What Would A Good Retirement Plan Look Like?, Part 4

The Retirement Café

Reading these posts caused me to review my ISP, question my assumptions (once again), review literature on risk, bear market history, etc., and it was time well spent.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 02:46 PM   #20

I for one am in the accumulation phase and the last 5-8yrs before ER or ESR so a critical accumulation phase. So I want the market to be either up or down, flat market is a waste of time for me.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote