Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-11-2017, 08:50 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My optimum phase into retirement plan would be to work part-time before full retirement, primarily for the health insurance. I am hoping that Megacorp makes our group eligible for a phase into retirement program that has you working 20-24 hours a week at 65-70% of your base pay, but with full medical benefits. It came up earlier this year but my division was not eligible to participate. Doing that for a year, plus a year of COBRA, then 3 or so years to use up the retire health allowance would cover us with much lower premiums until Medicare eligibility.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2017, 11:38 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
... I asked for a contract to work just enough to qualify for health insurance for the coming year, which is 11 shifts per month. The negotiation was really easy--I was offered the same salary as I was making working 20 shifts per month. And with other interesting benefits--Health insurance that will cost 4-5x less, my son can be carried on it for another year per their policy, which helps him, and a ROTH 401K, which didn't exist before, it is pretty attractive...
There's no shame in enjoying your work (and the pay too).

It so happened that I was recently contacted by a colleague at a former megacorp, who said management asked if I wanted to go back for consulting like I did on a part-time basis for some years before I quit for real. I turned them down without getting to the negotiation.

It set me in a bad mood for a few days. They had a lot of interesting work, but the politics that drove me away never changes. It was a shame, because I enjoyed the work (and the money), and they liked my work. It could have been a win-win situation, but something always happened to mess things up. My wife suggested that the stress could have caused my health problem, which is now cured. Don't know if it was true.

At this point I don't need the money, but would feel good if they value my work with a high pay. But then, is the stress worth it?

By the way, the healthcare premium skyrocketed under ACA because the coverage is expanded (unlimited lifetime benefit, no pre-existing condition exclusion, etc...). I was able to pay on my own before ACA, but it is now outrageous as you noted. Yet, this year, I have not used any service and will skip the annual check up too.

If I could not get some premium subsidy, it would hurt like crazy, even though I could still afford it. I might have to go back to work and die from stress.

Old 11-12-2017, 02:39 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
So, lemme get this straight. Fewer hours, same pay, better & enjoyable work environment, and a big discount on health insurance. I would go back to work with this conditions. Hope it works out.
I would add: the option to quit, and FIRE again if it didn't work out, without fear of the unknown. Win, win.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:10 AM   #24

Glad you found a situation that works for you. I know what you mean about night shift. I volunteer at a local hospital and had thought that post-ER, I'd move to day shift. But the nurses on nights told me how different the atmosphere is during the day so I've just continued with my 7 pm shift.

DH & I built a pretty nice contingency up for healthcare pre-ER, so I really hope it will be enough. We're still 8 years away from Medicare, and that's if they don't raise the age between now & then. After being retired for a year now, it would be very difficult for either of us to go back to j*bs. We'd rather reduce other discretionary spending if need be. But neither of us felt the same level of meaning in our careers. We certainly weren't saving any lives as corporate folks.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:23 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Kind of the same...spent 2 full years in Mexico (ER test). Moved back to TX for DW's over active safety gland problem (she's been in the insurance biz way too long)...Got a j*b at a prior employer from 10 years earlier...

Fast forward 2 years and change, DD had our first DGD, bought a house .5 mile away, j*b allows for use of tools for my hobby and lots of scraps to play with. DW insurance skyrocketed, so we put her on mine and this year they offered an HSA. Still doing 4-5 weeks / yr travel as I negotiated PTO with the boss...Seems to be going my way for the most part...still miss ER some days, therefore my post.

Latest project this week...coffee table.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171111_090904.jpg (580.9 KB, 54 views)
Old 11-12-2017, 12:09 PM   #26

Good for you. It's great to find something you enjoy. From a work aspect, it's so improved compared to your prior situation, you might not of left if the Leadership addressed it before.

I think many of us think about Plan A, B, C, etc. about healthcare coverage that it might delay my targeted ER of age 50. The idea of 15 years at potentially $25k to $40k (about $500k) for ok healthcare coverage does not appeal to me. Furthermore, I'm concerned what if I skip routine things to save money. For me, I think a nice part time commitment with a good team could be my future focus. Something like what you have now would be great. Congrats!
Old 11-12-2017, 04:29 PM   #27

Well, the subject did come up (working for health insurance).

We're tabling it for a year.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:37 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

I haven't but never say never (although I have other options for health insurance).
Old 11-13-2017, 10:29 AM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

I did! With no break though, so that was rough. My last day at my toxic workplace was a Friday, I packed on Saturday & travelled to my new "retirement job" employer's HQ on Sunday then began training on Monday for 4 weeks then back home to start work at an airline call center.

When details of the ACA began to emerge, I began to seriously look into retiring early, because losing employer-sponsored health insurance had always been the main barrier to ER for me. I eagerly read all the posts here on navigating & working the system, & researched what was available in my zip code. As time went on, I became less & less confident that I wanted to count on the ACA for 15+ years until Medicare eligibility.

My then-employer offered retiree medical that I would be eligible for at age 55, so I planned to just tough it out til then even though the premiums were very high. When they discontinued retiree medical, I knew it was time to look for alternatives.

I heard about the airline call center job from a friend who used to work there, so began checking the airline's job posts daily, & finally there was an opening. The timing wasn't great, but who knew when the next opening would be, so I went for it.

Around my 1 year anniversary my request to go part time was approved. Same great benefits, less hours, win-win. If nothing changes, I will be eligible for retiree medical so I can "retire retire" a little past age 60. Taking it 1 day at a time, making very little $ but enjoying wonderful benefits & not having to work that much. This year I concentrated on harvesting cap gains at 0% & plan to do a small Roth conversion, next year more Roth depending on tax law changes.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:52 AM   #30

7 months after I retired I was offered a chance to teach an online college class. No health insurance but very good pay for very little work that I can do anywhere with internet access. It has been 5 years and I don't ever plan on quitting.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:13 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
... this year, I have not used any service and will skip the annual check up too...
Just recall something, and do not want to be called a liar.

I did go to an ophthalmologist this year, for which I had to pay out-of-pocket as it is insignificant relative to the deduction of something like $10K. However, I did get a shingle and a flu shot, both for zero cost due to ACA.

Yep, I did not contribute anything to the rise of healthcare cost this year. But I did my part a few years ago, when between my son and I we cost our pre-ACA insurer around $200K, spread over 3 years.

Anyway, I have not been to the general practitioner this year. I checked my own BP and blood glucose regularly, and they are both good. I guess a biennial visit should be plenty.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:59 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I don't have a 9 to 5 kind of job but I look for bargains and ways to optimize expenses so we can stay under the ACA MAGI limit, so that is kind of a hobby job.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:57 AM   #33
Confused about dryer sheets

I work mainly for the benefits. It is a low paying job making just $2.50 more per hr than min wage but I get all hours in within 3 days each week. Paid to sleep two nights of it so it's fine. Technically on call at night but hardly ever woken up. Bed is very comfortable too, as is the staff room I sleep in... + private bath w/shower

At age 65, I will reduce my hours to 20 hrs per wk (2 10 hr days per wk) to obtain the Indemnity Plan which acts as a Medigap, prescription and dental plan...all for $10 mo. It includes 1k per yr of dental, 100K life insurance too. Cannot find anything remotely near that plan offered to part timers for just $10 mo.

Right now I work full time 3 days a wk straight thru for-

2K a year of Dental thru Ameritas. $55 mo. for both of us
Medical- myself only- fully employer subsidized. Akin to a Bronze plan I believe. 1K deductible
Life Insurance- $100K myself-, 25K for him.- Cost $5 month.
Life w/Accident & Dismemberment- both of us- Cost $32 mo.
401k match- 4%
Paid Holidays
Xmas Bonus- $300
Accumulate about 12 hrs of Paid Time Off (PTO) per mo.
Paid to sleep (yet am on call during the night but hardly ever woken up, and if so, 15 min average time then to bed)

Other small perks- $50 gift cards 1-2x per yr, paid CPR & First Aid class every 2 yrs, re-imbursement at .50 cents per mile for one way to work