Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone else get their TSP annual statement?
Old 02-19-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Anyone else get their TSP annual statement?

Just got mine. 26.23% personal investment performance for 2009. Total in my account still has not reached what I had in 2007 tho.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2010, 11:25 AM   #2

No, I haven't got mine. I just retired and was told to contact TSP one month after retirement to change my address. Hopefully the secretary at my former workplace will send it to me.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
Administrator

My TSP went up substantially more than my (maxed out plus over-50) contributions from Jan 2008 to Jan 2010, but then being close to retirement I moved into 100% "G Fund" at some point during that time. Seems like a good place to keep part of my bond allocation.

I am retired now, so on January 5th I mailed off the forms requesting full withdrawal via equal monthly payments. The first one was direct deposited just three weeks later, on January 26th, so I was pretty happy about that.

I keep track of my TSP performance by logging in to look at my account balance frequently. I don't even know if I get statements from them any more - - if getting them electronically is an option, then I opted for that. No sense in wasting trees for something I wouldn't use.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:44 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Spouse's "S" fund is now worth what she's paid for it over the last decade...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:54 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Spouse's "S" fund is now worth what she's paid for it over the last decade...
Wow!! How awful. S Fund was increasing nicely in 2003-2006 or so, and I had my entire TSP in S and I during that time and cleaned up. But before the crash I got out of S and I, and into G because I was getting ready to retire. Guess I was lucky to have done that.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-19-2010, 02:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post
Just got mine. 26.23% personal investment performance for 2009. Total in my account still has not reached what I had in 2007 tho.
I'm probably more aggressive, 34.7%, but like you I'm still below e/o 2007.
But a 10%+ return will me get be back to to 2007.
Understand the younger members probably already back to 2007 levels
because their balances are small compared to deposits.
TJ
Old 02-19-2010, 07:26 PM   #7

My 2009 Personal Investment Performance was 10.03%. I retired 6/2/06, but have not touched it yet. I have mine in the L2010 Fund. I have reached the age where I am happy with 10.03%. I would love to have a higher percentage, but don't want the added risk. I need to be able to sleep well at night.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:04 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Wow!! How awful. S Fund was increasing nicely in 2003-2006 or so, and I had my entire TSP in S and I during that time and cleaned up. But before the crash I got out of S and I, and into G because I was getting ready to retire. Guess I was lucky to have done that.
Now that you're retired, you bet it was the right decision!

She has another 12 years to go before she's even able to touch it, let alone decide what she wants to do with it.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:15 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Now that you're retired, you bet it was the right decision!

She has another 12 years to go before she's even able to touch it, let alone decide what she wants to do with it.
It'll come back up to a very nice amount by then, I'm sure!

My TSP is not what I had hoped at one point in time, though it did increase every year. Still, it is a good, solid amount. Now that I am retired, my TSP is the backbone of my retirement, my bread and butter. The rest is icing on the cake.

(OK, ok, mixed metaphors but at least they are all food! )

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-19-2010, 08:18 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My TSP went up substantially more than my (maxed out plus over-50) contributions from Jan 2008 to Jan 2010, but then being close to retirement I moved into 100% "G Fund" at some point during that time. Seems like a good place to keep part of my bond allocation.

I am retired now, so on January 5th I mailed off the forms requesting full withdrawal via equal monthly payments. The first one was direct deposited just three weeks later, on January 26th, so I was pretty happy about that.

I keep track of my TSP performance by logging in to look at my account balance frequently. I don't even know if I get statements from them any more - - if getting them electronically is an option, then I opted for that. No sense in wasting trees for something I wouldn't use.
With you 100% on this W2R. I moved it all into the G fund shortly before retirement and check my account on line regularly. I get paper statements from time to time but don't pay attention to them so much since I keep track of my account on the TSP website.

The one difference is I haven't opted for the regular withdrawals yet. The TSP just seems like an attractive place to keep funds plus, until DH takes the plunge into retirement, so need to yet. Once he does, I think I'd be inclined to touch other funds first since the TSP (IMHO) is such a good deal.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:46 PM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
With you 100% on this W2R. I moved it all into the G fund shortly before retirement and check my account on line regularly. I get paper statements from time to time but don't pay attention to them so much since I keep track of my account on the TSP website.

The one difference is I haven't opted for the regular withdrawals yet. The TSP just seems like an attractive place to keep funds plus, until DH takes the plunge into retirement, so need to yet. Once he does, I think I'd be inclined to touch other funds first since the TSP (IMHO) is such a good deal.
I think that's an excellent strategy, Purron. I do like the TSP as a place for my money, although after age 70.5 there are RMD's requiring that we withdraw a specified portion each year. For me, age 70.5 is less than nine years away.

I will still have most of my TSP intact when I reach that age (since I will rely more on SS and less on TSP once I begin drawing SS). Maybe not so good to have a large TSP balance at age 70.5 due to the required taxable income, but then who knows what the tax laws will be like then?

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-19-2010, 08:53 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Maybe not so good to have a large TSP balance at age 70.5 due to the required taxable income, but then who knows what the tax laws will be like then?
True and the same thing applies to IRAs. Got a lot of funds in those too. I figure I'll keep hanging around here to help me figure it all out when the time comes
Old 02-19-2010, 08:58 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Maybe not so good to have a large TSP balance at age 70.5 due to the required taxable income, but then who knows what the tax laws will be like then?
People were probably saying that in late 2007/early 2008, too...

Old 02-20-2010, 06:34 PM   #14

26.51% PIP here.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:16 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Mine was 20.11%.

My investment allocation was:
G - 15%
F - 20%
C - 30%
S - 20%
I - 15%

I changed that during the year though. I added the G fund this year, I didn't use to invest in it.

I just looked and my 2007 PIP was 6.11%. I'm up about 4.6% from my 2007 amount.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:19 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

24.27% for me in 2009...of course, it was -32.23% in 2008. I've maxed out the TSP every year since mid-2003 and, according to my 2009 annual statement, have only made about $6,000 over and above my contributions in that time...not a real earth shattering rate of return.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:52 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Mostly in C Fund (since we CSRS folks don't rely on TSP for retirement income). Have a bit in all the other funds, as well. Unfortunately the portfolio is about 10% below what I've put into it. Should have converted to G Fund 2 years ago....just like should have sold real estate etc. Shoulda shoulda shoulda.** Good thing I'm still working

A.

**If American isn't your 1st language - that's pronounced "Shooda shooda," not "shoulder shoulder."
Old 02-22-2010, 01:50 PM   #18

My tsp is $51123.60 over what my lifetime contributions have been.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:38 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
My tsp is $51123.60 over what my lifetime contributions have been.
Wish I could say the same! Congrats!
Old 02-22-2010, 08:51 PM   #20

Thanks. I contributed the max (that I was allowed to under CSRS) to the TSP since the beginning and also the catch up contribution. I was in the G fund until my boss teased me about being so conservative at the time. I switched to mostly the C Fund with small amounts to S Fund and I Fund during most of the 90s. Then when my funds started going south and being that I took early retirement, the L2010 started looking real good to me.