Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 09:15 AM   #321
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forced to Retire View Post
My car is too old for Uber. I tried and was rejected.
Even if your car is older, you may be able to drive for ubereats which has laxer standards. I think they accept cars as old as 1996. No idea what the relative pay is like, but since Uber seems to be actively pushing it there may be driver incentives. Just make sure you understand the insurance situation if you do this.

I threw out Uber as an idea because it seemed like a decent gig option to help bring in some extra cash. There are a whole slew of other crowdsourcing gig opportunities. Another one may be dog walking/sitting:

https://www.rover.com/alexandria--va--dog-walking/

Pay seems pretty good even if the company takes a cut off the top. Plus you get to walk (my wife got a fitbit and for a while was OCD about getting steps). I would think a wealthy area like DC would have lots of people that like to pamper their pets.

House sitting might be another option. And of course looking for gigs on on craigslist: https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/search/nva/ggg

Full disclosure: I've never tried any of these except as a client.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2016, 10:01 AM   #322
Full time employment: Posting here.

Uber sounds good until you factor in all the costs and the down time with no rides. For $10 an hour, Amazon is hiring Full-time seasonal phone (work at home) support for the holidays. Looks like this might fit with the OP's situation, since he isn't going to get a "real" job and then have an excuse not to move in 7 months, but this allows some small income while inertia continues, just an idea:

https://www.amazon.jobs/en/jobs/SF160006259

Old 09-08-2016, 11:20 AM   #323

When I had to move to another city for a job, I rented a room in a house. It's cheap flexible, no credit score taken, and usually no bills other than the room rent + food.
My experience in nice areas the rent was $500/mo for a room.

Folks who rent rooms know you probably won't be there forever, and any hesitation on their part is easily solved by paying for the first 2 months immediately.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:36 AM   #324
Recycles dryer sheets

Okay, I am over this. As a volunteer I help folks in op's situation so I know a bit about this.
You have hit all the alternatives for him and he still doesn't want to budge. There is no magic wand. The dude is in a much better place than any of my clients ever are.
Reading this thread is now torture for me. Adios.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:11 PM   #325
gone traveling

I have taken everyone's advice that I should move ASAP regardless of my lease term, very seriously. I will likely follow through and break my lease. But to move from an area that I have lived in for over 25 years and break my lease and risk being sued and have my credit ruined, isn't something the typical person does quickly. I have to figure it out. I am all alone in this decision.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:20 PM   #326
Dryer sheet aficionado

Maybe ask some of your neighbors, friends, relatives, business associates .... anybody you might know, to see if they know of someone looking for an apartment in your area. You "find" your own replacement, for your apartment and see if the Managers will let you go, since there will likely get someone else locked in for another year. No harm no foul? Win - Win?

As easy as picking up the phone? What can it hurt?
Old 09-08-2016, 01:39 PM   #327
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Op will pay $20k for his apartment for 8 mos. He has stated that $800/mo in the Richmond area would suit his needs. If it is worth the extra $13,600 to keep his good credit and to honor his commitments, I not only don't see anything wrong with that but applaud his moral character. I also see nothing wrong with talking to a lawyer to find out what the law says his legal options might be. Either way, I don't think the $13,600 is going to put him in the financial peril that a lot of folks here are suggesting. As well as finding appropriate housing in a close but more affordable area, the Op has made an appointment with a lawyer. I think he is on a good course that will serve him well.
I agree with this advice. If it were me I probably would not focus on breaking the lease. I think what happens over the coming decades is more important than what happens over the lease period. I would take a look at Reddit threads like this and focus on building up a side gig income stream:

https://www.reddit.com/r/beermoney/c...re_is_my_list/

And use this time to look for a nice, lower cost of living place to live.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 09-08-2016, 02:31 PM   #328
Recycles dryer sheets

Since nobody has mentioned this yet - just bribe your property manager with a couple of hundred dollar bills in his/her pocket. I've got a feeling he/she will be willing to cut things short, as I'm assuming there will be no trouble re-renting your unit.

Even if the bribe needs to be $1000, you'll still be way ahead by getting out asap.

As for me, I'd find a new place now, move out, clean the place so it's spotless, take pics of everything, send a certified letter to the property manager outlining all of this, and hand them the keys. They'll have to make a good-faith effort to re-rent it and then the most you can possibly owe is for the time between your departure and the next tenants.

We're all hoping you've taken other actions besides the apartment issue, any updates on those?

You've got choices and keeping to the status quo isn't the best one.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:45 PM   #329

The OP renewed his lease for a full year. Where I live, almost all leases go month-to-month after the first year. Is this just a local thing? If it's available where you live or where you plan to live, I would make sure that your next lease goes month-to-month after the first year.

To the person who said the OP is broke, are you really that out of touch with the average american? $300K is FAR from broke. With almost $300K AND $1200/mo SS coming soon, he should be able to live a very good life in a low cost of living area that many people can only dream of. For the record, I don't know of a single person(couple) who I personally know who has amassed $300K in savings in their lifetime including myself.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:32 PM   #330

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
The OP renewed his lease for a full year. Where I live, almost all leases go month-to-month after the first year. Is this just a local thing? If it's available where you live or where you plan to live, I would make sure that your next lease goes month-to-month after the first year.....
Seems strange to me too, as when I've rented after the first year, it was either 6 months, or month to month.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:32 PM   #331
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have taken everyone's advice that I should move ASAP regardless of my lease term, very seriously. I will likely follow through and break my lease. But to move from an area that I have lived in for over 25 years and break my lease and risk being sued and have my credit ruined, isn't something the typical person does quickly. I have to figure it out. I am all alone in this decision.
I can understand your reluctance to move and risk ruining your credit, etc. Even if the new landlord checked, so you have another lease... what's it to them if you are paying 6-12 months in advance? Besides, they may be sympathetic with your plight and your current landlord's refusal to work with you.

If you have more than one bedroom, could you rent out that room and take in a roommate? That would dampen the cost. My DS doesn't make a lot and shares and apartment with someone about his age... they did not know each other when they first met but it has been a win-win.

Otherwise, the cost of keeping your credit is $10k, about 3% of your savings and if that is worth it to you then ok.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:04 PM   #332
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I would probably feel the same way unless a lawyer or someone with expertise in my state's lease laws told me otherwise. I've lived in the same place a long time, too, and it would not be an overnight decision to move.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Anyone else here forced to retire and scared to death?
Old 09-08-2016, 04:30 PM   #333
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone else here forced to retire and scared to death?

I don't see anyone suggesting you start ridding yourself of stuff. Start selling so that when it's time you can move easily and it won't be so daunting. Also the income might help.
Hope the lawyer was helpful!

Oh whoops i see people have suggested this. I too had to move alone it's scary but you have time to get rid of the stuff thats dragging you down!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-08-2016, 06:57 PM   #334
Recycles dryer sheets

As for the notion that the new landlord knows you have 8 months left on the old apt, is that an issue? By the time you find something and are ready to move it will likely be 6 months or less. They don't know how much money you have or what your circumstances are. Perhaps you have found THE apartment and don't want to lose it. Perhaps you need to take your time to transition to the new location and need two places. Perhaps you will be working part time in both places for a period of time... you could have any of these scenarios.

You also may want to take some time to figure out where you want to go and finding the right location that you can afford to live in longer term.

I would ask myself the following questions if I were in this situation:
- Why do I even care if I have a pristine rental/credit rating? I don't plan on buying anything on credit or taking out any lines of credit. If I buy something it will be 'cash'. If I have the 2nd apartment before breaking the lease, I will have 6 months to a year of payments to re-establish credit.
- How long will it take me to downsize to the size of apartment I am moving to? It can take awhile to sort through everything and get rid of it.

Good luck! You have a lot to think about and a lot to do.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:44 PM   #335

OK, so the lawyer says the lease does not have any get out provisions, and no luck going to the higher mgmt for the apt and tugging at their emotions. With OP wanting to stay in the area and not sacrifice his credit rating, the only option now is find some employment to cover the additional expense and help get through the end of the lease. Keep looking, seasonal employment, temp agencies, etc. As suggested by several replies many pages back, get yourself looking better with a nice haircut, dye out some of the grey, and change your attitude. Update the resume to state you are retired, but are looking for supplemental income. Don't be too good for a position. Emphasize to interviews that you want to have a job to keep involved and feel like you are contributing, even if the real reason is short term financial gain and no intention of starting a new career.

I have a friend that retired from a technical position and is now back at work, full time even, as a school janitor. He needed extra income, and the janitor job is nights after school so he pretty much just does his thing alone and it works for him. Sure he would rather have a technical job and make higher wages, but this was available and close by his home. My friend is a good example for the OP, to do what it takes given the situation.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
Old 09-08-2016, 07:56 PM   #336

Quote:
On the contrary I think you are getting some good advice here from people who have real world experience. Either break it or don't break it. you seemed convinced you wouldn't break it until the lawyer told you that you couldn't and now suddenly you are going the break the lease.At this rate it will take you until the lease expires for you to figure out what you want to do.

You seem stuck and unable to move forward. Have you checked into cheaper health insurance.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:12 PM   #337
Recycles dryer sheets

I think you just need a day or two to process your decision. The lawyer said it was unlikely you would get sued and you have a way to mitigate the poor credit rating risk for renting.

An exercise I went through on a recent decision I had to make: write out everything you are afraid of or concerned about. Evaluate all the pros and cons. It really clarified my answer.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:40 PM   #338
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I went to the real estate attorney yesterday and he went through my lease very carefully and said there was nothing I could do legally to break the lease. There was no out. He said it was unlikely I would be sued but breaking my lease would end up on my credit and rental report, making it nearly impossible to rent another apartment.
I think there are several flavors of real estate attorneys. An attorney that helps with closings, or who helps clients write and enforce leases for the income properties they own is not the guy you want. You need someone who specializes in tenants' rights, and is familiar with the laws and (especially) the common practices of property management firms in your area. They may even know about the policies and typical enforcement actions of the property manager for your apartment. I would expect that such an attorney might suggest ways to reduce the likelihood of adverse credit reporting, etc. At the very least, I'd expect him to suggest/offer to write a letter to the property manager that you could use if you decide to break the lease . . . putting them on notice that, as your attorney he'll be watching them like a hawk for full compliance with the law (requirement to make good faith efforts to rent the place and stop billing you when they do, that any ding to your credit will be grounds for legal action against them if they haven't crossed every T and dotted every I as required by applicable law, etc). It should be full of citations from tons of applicable laws that landlords must comply with. Basically, let them know that you are not Mr Milquetoast, you have retained a lawyer and you/he intend to be a horrific PITA and cost them a lot of money and court time if they choose to make this difficult. They have no way to know if you are bluffing, and they will not want to take the chance of finding out. They are in the business of renting properties, it is in your interest to help them stay on that course and not go down a possibly expensive legal detour of pursuing you when they could more profitably use their resources to just find another tenant.
Maybe you were talking to the right guy, but the answers and "help" he provided make me wonder.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:55 PM   #339
Give me a forum ...

There is a recent post on Reddit about some students not being able to rent an apartment because of false evictions on "Realpageinc's renters check" report. I don't know if breaking a lease would have the same impact but it seems like this is the kind of situation the attorney was referring to.

The guy in the previous Reddit link on online work made over $2K last month just with odds and ends online programs plus Mturk. That kind of work is online so it could go with you when you move. There are also sites like gigwalk, field agent and task rabbit. If you can't find a regular job then maybe the gig economy will be a better fit for you.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:03 AM   #340

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I think there are several flavors of real estate attorneys. An attorney that helps with closings, or who helps clients write and enforce leases for the income properties they own is not the guy you want. You need someone who specializes in tenants' rights, and is familiar with the laws and (especially) the common practices of property management firms in your area. They may even know about the policies and typical enforcement actions of the property manager for your apartment. I would expect that such an attorney might suggest ways to reduce the likelihood of adverse credit reporting, etc. At the very least, I'd expect him to suggest/offer to write a letter to the property manager that you could use if you decide to break the lease . . . putting them on notice that, as your attorney he'll be watching them like a hawk for full compliance with the law (requirement to make good faith efforts to rent the place and stop billing you when they do, that any ding to your credit will be grounds for legal action against them if they haven't crossed every T and dotted every I as required by applicable law, etc). It should be full of citations from tons of applicable laws that landlords must comply with. Basically, let them know that you are not Mr Milquetoast, you have retained a lawyer and you/he intend to be a horrific PITA and cost them a lot of money and court time if they choose to make this difficult. They have no way to know if you are bluffing, and they will not want to take the chance of finding out. They are in the business of renting properties, it is in your interest to help them stay on that course and not go down a possibly expensive legal detour of pursuing you when they could more profitably use their resources to just find another tenant.
Maybe you were talking to the right guy, but the answers and "help" he provided make me wonder.
+1

I'd consider trying to find some sort of professional negotiator, probably a lawyer, who would negotiate an early termination of the lease with AptCo.

Upon a successful negotiation and signed agreement there would be no negative credit reporting, law suite filing etc. but likely a fixed buyout fee paid.

Of course OP would have to be ready to move out to his new apartment and get on to resuming his life.

-gauss