Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 10:52 AM   #361
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the update. Good work on renegotiating the lease. You are off to a great start on your plan.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2016, 10:54 AM   #362
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
That is fantastic that you were able to negotiate a change in your lease. Get it in writing!

Now--I have been a yo-yo with weight and fitness. We finally have amazing weather. No matter what else you do, get out and take a walk.

We have many overweight friends and family. I'm overweight now. I've lost weight several times, but it always creeps up to my genetic set point. Many people have been a bit insulting about your weight. Oh well. Ignore them. Too many here have a holier-than-though attitude. Yes, they are proud of themselves. But all you have to do is look at a family to know that weight and metabolism has a huge genetic component.

My dad who smoke and drank and never exercised, lived until 80. Yet a friend's husband died at age 42 of "athlete's heart". He was a runner and a tennis instructor. One of my mentors in residency died on his morning run as well.

There is a lot of great advise on frugal living here. The idea of a roommate is a good one. Our single, 61 year old Silicon Valley best friend has taken in a housemate. It works out very well for them. And there are cheap and healthy ways to eat. I like making bean and veggie soups for lunch. I make a bunch and freeze some of it in small pots. Then take the frozen soup out of the pot by catching it in my hand while running water over the pot upside down and seal in plastic bags. To reheat, just pop it in the original small pot. I doctor soup with dill, Louisiana hot sauce, or a spoonful of nonfat yogurt depending on my mood.

I sympathize with all who have struggled with weight, as I have. DS, DH eat way worse than I do and they are thin. And I get more exercise too.

So take a walk. Go a little farther than you think you can. Keep doing it regularly and there will be positive results. Mentally and physically.

Who knows? During your walks you might figure out a part time low stress job you can do that helps pay a few of the bills and get you out of the house a few days a week.

Good luck and keep posting. I've enjoyed your posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forumle
Wm
I wasn't trying to scold. At 61 and looking 70, 300 lbs can be crippling and destroy any quality of life. I was just trying to steer him to a positive life change.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:34 AM   #363

Progress! Yay!
Old 09-12-2016, 11:57 AM   #364
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like very good progress but you should get it in writing. Even if you just email the person that you talked to with your understanding of what you agreed on and asked them to reply that they agree that is what you agreed on or print it, sign it and mail it to you. I would be wary of then reneging on what you agreed to.

That will give you sufficient time to find a new place and move. Good work.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 09-12-2016, 12:36 PM   #365
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
That is fantastic that you were able to negotiate a change in your lease. Get it in writing!

Now--I have been a yo-yo with weight and fitness. We finally have amazing weather. No matter what else you do, get out and take a walk.

We have many overweight friends and family. I'm overweight now. I've lost weight several times, but it always creeps up to my genetic set point. Many people have been a bit insulting about your weight. Oh well. Ignore them. Too many here have a holier-than-though attitude. Yes, they are proud of themselves. But all you have to do is look at a family to know that weight and metabolism has a huge genetic component.

My dad who smoke and drank and never exercised, lived until 80. Yet a friend's husband died at age 42 of "athlete's heart". He was a runner and a tennis instructor. One of my mentors in residency died on his morning run as well.

There is a lot of great advise on frugal living here. The idea of a roommate is a good one. Our single, 61 year old Silicon Valley best friend has taken in a housemate. It works out very well for them. And there are cheap and healthy ways to eat. I like making bean and veggie soups for lunch. I make a bunch and freeze some of it in small pots. Then take the frozen soup out of the pot by catching it in my hand while running water over the pot upside down and seal in plastic bags. To reheat, just pop it in the original small pot. I doctor soup with dill, Louisiana hot sauce, or a spoonful of nonfat yogurt depending on my mood.

I sympathize with all who have struggled with weight, as I have. DS, DH eat way worse than I do and they are thin. And I get more exercise too.

So take a walk. Go a little farther than you think you can. Keep doing it regularly and there will be positive results. Mentally and physically.

Who knows? During your walks you might figure out a part time low stress job you can do that helps pay a few of the bills and get you out of the house a few days a week.

Good luck and keep posting. I've enjoyed your posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forumle
Wm

I've been reading since the beginning and I don't think anybody has been insulting about his weight. Several people have suggested using this time to lose weight, but only after OP mentioned/complained (twice, I believe) about being overweight and feeling significantly older than he is. I took all talk about losing weight to be friendly suggestions, not rude at all.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:12 PM   #366
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forced to Retire View Post
UPDATE:
So, now I have three months to prepare to move, to a smaller town with a low cost of living.
Persistence pays - well done! You just saved yourself probably $9000-10000 with those phone calls. If it took you 40 hours of work to do, you made $225/hr. Probably the best paying job you've ever had!
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:28 PM   #367
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations!, Forced.......I concur on the idea of taking walks, but for the reason of clearing your mind to work on the next task(s).....it really does help to clarify things to have your body occupied while your mind is focusing on an issue.......if weight loss comes too..great....but as someone who struggles with weight loss as well I do know times of stress are not often the best time to focus on that
Old 09-12-2016, 04:15 PM   #368
Give me a forum ...

Congrats you have gotten over the first hurdle and it must feel good to hear"yes" after all those "nos".

Pat yourself on the back and think about where you would be happy to spend some time living.Don't stress about picking the perfect place. Cull down your possessions and think about living somewhere for a year so you can check things out.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:36 PM   #369
Give me a forum ...

Way to stick with it and get some relief!
Old 09-12-2016, 06:13 PM   #370
Give me a forum ...

So your persistence paid off! I'm so pleased for you. It's wonderful that you have been able to work out an agreement that respects the equities of both you and the apartment company.

Quote:
UPDATE:

After many phone calls that were not returned to the corporate office of the big property management company that owns my apartment, I finally got a hold of someone. He kept saying over and over and over again, how I should work with the apartment manager. I was forced to say over and over and over and OVER again that I had no where with the property manager at my actual complex. Finally, after much discussion, I worked out an arrangement where I could live here for only three more months and then pay for the apartment for one more month month empty. They said they can't put it up for rent until it is empty. They have to clean it, and update the kitchen, etc.

Not a perfect arrangement, but now I get to keep my perfect credit rating and a good rental reference. Though better than waiting for the full eight months left on my lease.

So, now I have three months to prepare to move, to a smaller town with a low cost of living.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:34 PM   #371
Recycles dryer sheets

So good to hear your news! EastWest Gal offers some great advice. Getting some exercise and cleaning up your diet will do wonders for your mental state. I am a total mess when I slip up with either one.

You have a lot to do in 3 months and it will go fast. Keep us posted on your progress!
Old 09-12-2016, 07:40 PM   #372
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congrats!! Glad your efforts paid off.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:54 PM   #373

Nice to see a reasonably happy ending. Please take advantage of the next 3 months to fully plan and execute your departure.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:05 PM   #374

Great news, Forced!!!!

I agree with the suggestion to take walks... One of the things that I've started since retiring is walking the dog on the beach every morning. It clears my head and centers me - and it has a side benefit of improving my health. I'm still overweight - but my shape has changed and I no longer get out of breathe if I have to run up and down the steps a bunch of times.

Great job on the apartment lease negotiation... Now the fun starts... downsizing, figuring out where to relocate and finding an appropriate rental, and finally the big move.

I personally hate moving - and find it easier if I break it down to daily goals. Promise yourself to pack one box... either for donation, sale, or your new home... each day. Don't wait till the last minute... And don't move stuff you don't need.... that's inefficient as it adds to the volume you have to move.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:47 AM   #375
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats on the successful negotiation! Hopefully you can find a very affordable lifestyle and the freedom of retirement / or partial retirement will also result in health benefits. I'd worry about moving now and forget about dieting! Plenty of time for that later! Be cheap! Find a super low cost place to live!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-13-2016, 10:46 AM   #376
Give me a forum ...

Great news! I have struggled with weight the past 10 years but have been able to go from obese to just overweight by daily long walks and paying attention to my diet. Little changes can add up to big things.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:26 PM   #377

This made my day, seriously. I haven't been able to get your situation out of my mind. I'm so glad you were persistent and got this accomplished. It must make you feel great! You're in control of your life! Keep taking steps, literally and figuratively.

And keep us posted!
Old 09-13-2016, 03:51 PM   #378

Quote:
I have been reading the posts on this board for months and am shocked how many people have retired after years of great career success and expert and wonderful skills regarding financial planning. Many posters are so proud to tell the world that they only take 2% or less out of their portfolio every year and expect to give millions to their family upon their death.

I don't think this the real world. The real world is someone like me. Struggled to save money, had bad investment choices, and were forced to retire when they were fired from their job and due to lack of job opportunities.
Sorry to hear about your plight; but it isn't shared by everyone. The "real world" includes both grasshoppers and ants.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:21 PM   #379
Confused about dryer sheets

If I were you, i would not take Social Security at 62. Financial guru Bill Bernstein had an interesting answer to the Social Security now/then question:

Quote:
There are two possible goals with SS: 1) buy the optimal amount of longevity insurance for a given input, or 2) optimize your total amount of SS benefits. Both are valid goals, but let's assume you want to prioritize the former.

The clearest way to think about this is to imagine a pair of 62-year-old twins, both of who are entitled to $3,000 per month at age 70, which, coincidentally, is also their living expenses.

Twin A defers SS to age 70, when he will get $3,000 monthly benefits. He must thus cover 8 years of living expenses to get to age 70, costing $288,000 in real terms ($36,000 x 8). After he pays that liability, he's home free.

Twin B also has $3,000 per month living expenses, but decides to take $1,705 in SS at age 62. Thus, he has a $1,295 per month of shortfall until he dies. To cover this with a joint-survivorship inflation-adjusted fixed annuity costs approximately $438,000.

The difference between the two is $150,000. That's not chopped liver.

I'd even go so far as to recommend that if twin A runs out of money a year or two before 70, he should max out his credit cards to make it there.

Best,

Bill
Old 09-13-2016, 05:55 PM   #380
Recycles dryer sheets

Hristomilo, this has been much discussed and is an individual decision. Given OPs health issues might be correct choice to take at 62.
Closed Thread