Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 07:41 PM   #381
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlow65 View Post
Hristomilo, this has been much discussed and is an individual decision. Given OPs health issues might be correct choice to take at 62.
Every decision is an individual decision, unless one are married. That does not mean that some decisions are not superior to others.

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Great News!, Forced to Retire!
Old 09-13-2016, 08:30 PM   #382
Recycles dryer sheets

Great News!, Forced to Retire!

I'm really happy for you. As far as your future happiness and your ability to play well with others (at work or elsewhere), you may want to pick up a book on the subject. I don't have any to recommend but other folks on this thread may. I'm almost 61 and I realize that the way we communicate is a key to how we attract friends. I just retired and live in a retirement community with a lot of activities. I just started joining these groups and find a lot of different personalities (just like at work). It's a little uncomfortable at first but pays off after getting to know some folks.

I also recommend you look at the ACA or Federal Health care exchanges (I used to work for the one in CA for a short stint). They are meant for people in your shoes who have no income and need a subsidy. You have always powered through this in your life and it's clear you are used to paying the freight so to speak. I recommend you check it out. People with no income usually get free medical care through Medicaid. Paying Cobra is unsustainable. I used to work in HR and I see the bills for Cobra. I think only 1 % of the folks go for that.

I also listen to financial experts like Dave Ramsey (Financial Peace University - available for a nominal cost in different communities) and Clark Howard. Getting educated in this respect (how to live below your means) and ways to get money on the side (pizza delivery for example) are no joke. That's the way many folks get out of debt. Lucky for you, you have no debt but need to get on a realistic budget. Best of luck to you.

Come back to this forum anytime as you can see how people love to help.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:21 AM   #383
gone traveling

I looked into ObamaCare and due to my low income I can get health insurance for about $200 with a moderate deductible starting 1/1/2017. (I am paying $700 a month now using COBRA)
Old 09-14-2016, 06:04 AM   #384
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelfreek View Post
I'm really happy for you. As far as your future happiness and your ability to play well with others (at work or elsewhere), you may want to pick up a book on the subject. I don't have any to recommend but other folks on this thread may. I'm almost 61 and I realize that the way we communicate is a key to how we attract friends.
I just paid my 12 y o son to read "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie. Son looked up several times to ask who "Emerson" and other people were, but enjoyed it very much. I found that book extremely helpful to me, and I think he will as well- you might give that book a try- any library will have it.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:24 AM   #385
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forced to Retire View Post
I looked into ObamaCare and due to my low income I can get health insurance for about $200 with a moderate deductible starting 1/1/2017. (I am paying $700 a month now using COBRA)
Wow the savings are starting to pile up, that must feel good. Just keep nibbling away at that list. This is very similar to losing weight, once you really start in on diet and exercise and start losing the pounds it suddenly seems so much easier to follow that path.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:26 AM   #386
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forced to Retire View Post
While that is good news, was the pricing you looked at where you currently live or where you will be living? It probably will not make a difference, but check to make sure.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 09-14-2016, 07:43 AM   #387

If he remains in a Medicaid non-expansion state, he will need to have ACA MAGI of at least 100% of FPL to continue to qualify for these premiums. (Actually this is a requirement in all 50 states, but in expansion states Medicaid will kick in for those that don't achieve these income levels).

For year 2017, I think his income will need to be at least $11,880.
Once he starts drawing Social Security this should be less of an issue.

And just to be clear - withdrawals from after-tax accounts to fund living expenses are not considered income (but dividends and capital gain distributions would be).

-gauss
AARP Tax-Aide volunteer
site ACA subject matter expert
Old 09-14-2016, 01:52 PM   #388

Great news on the lease issue.
Consider the advice on walking; I've lost more than 10 pounds the last year by hiking regularly. Easy for me to say--there are 30-40 great hikes here in Reno within a 5-25 minute drive. DW and I have one 20 mile segment left to complete the Tahoe Rim Trail this summer.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:23 PM   #389
Give me a forum ...

Re walking regularly: Even if you don't lose (much) weight, your whole body will get stronger from habitual exercise. It's a change you will surely feel.

Great news about your health insurance, too.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:26 PM   #390
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
I just paid my 12 y o son to read "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie. ...........
If you'd paid attention when you read it, you could have convinced him to read it for free.
Closed Thread