Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-13-2018, 10:17 AM   #101
gone traveling

Waiting for a bear market is, in my experience, a really bad idea. I'm 100% invested.

"Buy low, sell high" is garbage. You can't actually do that. People who say they do are lucky.

i-like-gin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2018, 10:22 AM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-like-gin View Post
Waiting for a bear market is, in my experience, a really bad idea. I'm 100% invested.

"Buy low, sell high" is garbage. You can't actually do that. People who say they do are lucky.
Except for rebalancing.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:30 AM   #103
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Except for rebalancing.
My rebalancing strategy is mostly going to have me selling into lows (higher volatility periods), which is totally counterintuitive to most people, but it ultimately works out better.

So even when it comes to rebalancing, I don't think "buying lows" is really the way to go.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:13 AM   #104
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My rebalancing strategy is mostly going to have me selling into lows (higher volatility periods), which is totally counterintuitive to most people, but it ultimately works out better.

So even when it comes to rebalancing, I don't think "buying lows" is really the way to go.
Its just that when you rebalance, you sell your winners at some "high" to buy your losers and some "low". So you are are selling high to buy low. It doesn't mean that you are hitting some specific peak or trough or coincide with a particular market high or low.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:15 AM   #105
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Its just that when you rebalance, you sell your winners at some "high" to buy your losers and some "low". So you are are selling high to buy low. It doesn't mean that you are hitting some specific peak or trough or coincide with a particular market high or low.
I see what you mean. If you're committed to a 50/50 cash/bond or something like that, then a rebalance means taking cash away from the winner at intervals.

Yup!
Old 09-13-2018, 11:18 AM   #106
Recycles dryer sheets

Why do people always insist on saying "they're hoping for a market drop?"

You do realize if you buy now...and the market doubles in 5 years...you're ahead. The market doesnt have to drop to come out ahead.

Stop with the mindset of hoping the market drops so you can get some sort of deal. Its such a narrow minded way of thinking.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:27 AM   #107
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
But wouldn't you still have the subsequent gains in the index funds become a capital gain tax issue later? So in effect you are just delaying the payment of taxes.
This sounds like tax loss harvesting, pushing off taxes to the future. I TLH when I can but I have to confess I am skeptical of whether it is really a good thing or not. I suppose if I die before all those taxes are due, I come out ahead.
TwoByFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:37 AM   #108
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post

Stop with the mindset of hoping the market drops so you can get some sort of deal. Its such a narrow minded way of thinking.
Some of us feel it's inevitable, so just wanted to get past it.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:24 PM   #109

Quote:

You do realize if you buy now...and the market doubles in 5 years...you're ahead. The market doesnt have to drop to come out ahead.

I find "hoping" for something does not work, unless you click your heels three times!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:39 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
I'm not hoping for a plunge but I do feel some sort of significant market decline will occur sooner rather than later.
It's absolutely bound to be sooner than later given later happens after sooner.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:42 PM   #111

If you want a plunge before November, seems you're asking for a particular elections outcome.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:28 PM   #112
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
If you want a plunge before November, seems you're asking for a particular elections outcome.
not just major uncertainty ( in the elections )

to say , a dominance of the more radical ( independent minded ) arms of the major political parties , or just more non-aligned candidates with a strong chance of success

in Australia the current ruling party has a very slender majority ( and sometimes has to work with independents to get policies past )

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:34 PM   #113

Quote:

in my case i may not be able to control my affairs in 5 years time , and i suggest some older members might have a similar risk .

( trusting a manager to make timely decisions is an additional risk many don't need )

and yes i have a narrow mindset in this regard , but it is also prudent (imo )
being wrong about thing has less downside for me than being correct but not prepared for it .

cheers !!

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Old 09-13-2018, 06:47 PM   #114

Quote:

my nickname was 'lucky ' many decades before thinking of investing for my future .. and is often 'LUCKY B@STARD !!! ' to several close fiends .

and yes i am mostly invested in the market but conversely waiting for a bear market , with some 'inverse index ' plays in my holdings as insurance and a 'liquidity buffer ' assuming banks will restrict cash outflows in the very stressed times .

buy low / sell high is a mix of relativity and patience ( and panic resistance ) more of an art than a science ( imo)

please note this is ALWAYS risk in investing , otherwise there would be no gains offered to induce you to participate ( the often ignored risk is underlying inflation )

Samuel Levenson
Old 09-18-2018, 05:50 PM   #115
Confused about dryer sheets

I do, but it's because I'm 56 and on the cusp of retiring. I have enough to retire today, assuming the market doesn't plunge withing the next few years. The problem is, nothing can guarantee that. As such, if it is going to plunge, I far prefer it do so before I retire rather than right after when I'm trying to live off my stash.

That said, if I was in my 30s like you, I wouldn't be in any hurry. There will be plenty of buying opportunities. Just keep your powder dry, set an allocation, and when it gets out of balance, rebalance.
sfbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:08 PM   #116

i am hoping to obtain Financial Independence , since i have been retired earlier than planned , and having that crash sooner rather than later , would give me some insight of how my plan is actually going to work under stress .

Samuel Levenson
Old 09-18-2018, 07:31 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoJay View Post
Ok, this will be sacrilege to some, but I find myself daydreaming about a stock market plunge. The reason is that it's inevitable that it will occur at some point, there are a lot of indicators saying it should be relatively soon, and the sooner we get there, the sooner there will be buying opportunities and also the sooner we can start recovering from it and moving toward higher highs. As they say, "The waiting is the hardest part."

Anyone else share my daydream?
I went to 75% cash and commodities last week.
I am BANKING on it
Old 09-18-2018, 07:39 PM   #118

i can't afford to wait , but i do need to stress-test my efforts so far ( just in case i need a major re-think )

i expect a nightmare , but one at least i will have some plans to try out during it .
for example i am low on the Large Caps , and heavier on the small and mid-caps , so will be looking for blue chips as a major focus either directly or via LICs and ETFs

Samuel Levenson
Old 09-18-2018, 08:17 PM   #119
Administrator

You don't need an actual market plunge to work off any present excess valuation. A prolonged sideways market coupled with a continuation of positive earnings will make multiples drop back to a more historically normal range. For someone already fully invested, that would certainly be the preferred outcome.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:14 PM   #120
Dryer sheet wannabe

Yes, I am unfortunately sitting on way too much cash right now.

PointBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote