Anyone else seriously over budget already?

No kidding. I'm starting to understand why sleep deprivation works so well as a torture technique!

I'm guessing that the human brain must have some sort of amnesia for the first few weeks of a new baby. Otherwise I can't imagine how people go through this 2,3,4 or more times.

Sorry for the thread jacking OP

Remember that old TV show, "Eight is Enough"? Well, after my ex and I had our dear daughter and went through what you are going through, we decided that for us, "One is Enough". :LOL: We love her dearly and wouldn't dream of changing a thing, and we admire those who go through that 2,3,4 or more times, but decided that just one child was all we could handle. By the way, my "baby" (age 31) just married and she was so beautiful! I was the happiest, proudest mother of the bride that ever lived.

And by the way, congratulations!!

I would just like to know why we have not seen photos of SalukiBaby yet! Start a new thread with a little snapshot so we can see your new investment and enjoy the little peanut vicariously. A first baby can really open your eyes to the meaning of life and the importance of finance (and close them in sleep at the oddest times).

Congratulations!!!!

Here goes, here is Anna

img_904505_0_2826794da89c384892980bd9ebf92a3e.jpg

img_904505_1_c9aa898f8a81e878c908648197549140.jpg

:smitten:Oh my, she is just breathtaking. So tiny, so beautiful. Congratulations again and budget be damned. Her little finger probably doesn't hurt at all from having you twisted around it already!

She is gorgeous!!

Don't blink because suddenly she will be a grown woman and married. Believe me, it happens almost that fast. :)

Anyone else started off the year poorly?

We are within budget for Jan.

I took an idea from the Kaderli's. They track a rolling 12 month period to judge whether they are within budget. It smooths out the month to month wrinkles and keeps you from over-reacting to a few set backs.

Very pretty. Hopefully she sleeps like that at night...

She is precious! Congratulations. You will soon be settled in with her like an old pro. Her childhood will go extremely fast, so enjoy it while you can. We decided that we did not want to be "childless" (our son was spending nights at friends' houses and away for this or that) and so we decided to have another baby. Our children are 10 1/2 years apart. That baby, our daughter, is grown, married and the mother of our dear granddaughter. It does not seem that long ago we were trying to decide whether to have another baby or not.

We do not overspend on our granddaughter. However, the plane tickets to go across country to see her are not that cheap.

We still don't budget and I don't keep track of how much we spend. We were fortunate to both work and then when I took early retirement, my DH was still working. However, it looks like he will be stop working soon. I might have to track spending a little better. I usually just look at the credit card statements, online bills I have paid and checking account statements and can get a pretty good feel for what we spend. We are usually pretty frugal.

Cute Baby Saluki. Way to go!

Ha

We had been (mostly) sticking to a budget while unemployed and practicing for ER. Once I had the j*b offer and passed the background check and drug test, I kind of went a little crazy at Nordstrom's purchasing clothing and shoes for the new j*b which will mainly be working in an office. Shopping is very efficient with a personal shopper. :whistle: I haven't bought any proper w*rk clothes in about 10 years (has been working in manufacturing environments) so I had some catching up to do. :D

We are way under budget. Our spending is "keyed" (for lack of a better term) to living on just the retirement income so the bulk of the income from my job is going into savings.

I splurged and bought a motorcycle, we go out to dinner a little more often than we would otherwise, DW buys a few more incidentals than she would otherwise, some impulse/indulging spending is happening that otherwise wouldn't, like a new higher-end computer and color laser printer, and so on. But our savings is $25k more now that it was a year ago.

Given the dire straights that so many other people are in we feel very lucky.

If I looked at my budget as a monthly thing, then I might be over. However, the big ticket items I have spent on so far this year, were budgeted. I have repairs, travel, car purchase, and such in my budget. So, so far this year, no surprises.

Back
Top Bottom