Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-29-2016, 10:16 AM   #41
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks OOPS I'll go back to stalking
EvanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2016, 11:09 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanC View Post
No - join in!!!! Consider posting in the "Hi I am" subforum with an intro.

We're nice... Honest!
Old 01-29-2016, 11:16 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
All I ask is, you be kind;-)
you bet!

yes this was an old thread from 2008
Old 01-29-2016, 04:11 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Did I lose over a million?

To illustrate, here's a crude graph of my monthly portfolio values in dollars from my retirement in 2009 until now. That BIG plunge in 2015 was due to buying my dream house in cash, and the recovery soon after was due to selling my prior home.

Compared with that, the recent drop is small potatoes. Overall, it still looks pretty good and the past 6+ years have prepared me pretty well for whatever may happen.

And NO, the answer is that I am NOT a member of the "Lost over a million club" or anywhere near. I am content with what I have, but it's not enough for a little blip like that to represent a million dollars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (52.3 KB, 59 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 04:28 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

It is not a $1M loss that one minds so much. It's the $1M loss daily, day in day out, that adds up to real money after a while.

No, I am not talking about myself, but I am sure there are a lot of people out there that the above applies to. And they do not have to be in the same league as Buffett and Bill Gates either, and only have to be a centimillionaire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasta View Post
Most IV lost in a dip is 400k
I have lost more than that, and more than once, but never a $1M, thank goodness.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 05:35 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If I had $10,000,000 I wouldn't take much risk. Some 10 year Treasuries for me.
jim584672 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 06:20 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Technically, yes I have lost over 1m, but not in the stock market. However, I don't want to join the club since I can't afford the membership dues.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 06:36 PM   #48

Well, according to Quicken in reference to my portfolio, I've lost 5.5% since my particular peak in March of 2015 to now. So, to loose $1 million I would have to have started with a little over $18 million back then. I'm very sorry to report that I do not qualify...
ejman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 06:41 PM   #49

I can't imagine what it's like to have enough money to lose over $1M but I suspect that losing 10% or 50% of your wealth is about the same at any level. Sure, someone with that level of wealth may not be worried about where the next meal is coming from, but I imagine that they've geared their life to having the level of income that that level of wealth generates and when you get hit with a large market drop, I suspect it affects your life significantly.
Jerry1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:03 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

One does not need $10M to lose $1M. He can have just $1M, but put in all on Global Crossing or Nortel in 2000, then lost it all.

Or he could put it all on a company like Peabody Energy or Chesapeake Energy. He would have lost 99% in the case of the 1st, or 90% in the case of the 2nd company.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-29-2016, 08:14 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
One does not need $10M to lose $1M. He can have just $1M, but put in all on Global Crossing or Nortel in 2000, then lost it all.

Or he could put it all on a company like Peabody Energy or Chesapeake Energy. He would have lost 99% in the case of the 1st, or 90% in the case of the 2nd company.
True, it does help to diversify.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:16 PM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I hope you'll continue to post! Lots of friendly, helpful people here, and we can always benefit from new posters and new input!
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 05:01 AM   #53
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I can't imagine what it's like to have enough money to lose over $1M ....

Math:

Someone with a net worth of around $1.8M and fully invested in, say SP500 index funds in their 401k would have easily lost $1M during the six month market decline in 2007-2008.... Ie during the decline from 2007 market high of 1575 down to 666 at the "Haines" market bottom of March 2009.

Losing 1M in a day: again Presuming you were in broad market stocks and not a specific loser that went to zero, you saw a 20 percent haircut on Oct 19 of 1987.

Nearest after that was a 9 percent haircut on October 15 2008. So you would need a nut of over 10 million to do that in a day again if you were broad market SP500 equity based..

If you were weighted toward financials say holding bear stern and Lehman and countrywide etc you may have lost it all.
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 05:19 AM   #54

I've lost at times, more money then I ever dreamed at having. After so many up and downs Ive learned not sweat the dips. The pile is was never the primary focus rather the result of LBYM and marrying the right gal. It built up slowly - kinda like autopilot - you've heard that phrase 'pay yourself first' my saving were always automatic. I didn't worry about its growth, I knew it would grow and I was too busy living. I grew and before I knew it was more then enough.

I've learned to focus on the income stream which has been more consistent. The market is a fickle beast -watching it each day and worrying isn't good for the soul.

I buy dividend stocks, ETFs and mutual funds - steady eddies if you will. Certainly not high flyers and likely kinda boring for most people. Even after all these years I still enjoy seeing the dividends accumulate.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 06:23 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
If I had $10,000,000 I wouldn't take much risk. Some 10 year Treasuries for me.
I suspect that if I came into $10 million slowly, over the course of a career, and was used to a solidly middle class lifestyle, I'd have the usual mix of stocks and bonds. However, if I came into it suddenly, I'd put it all into equity funds. My current annual spend is ~$17K, so the dividends alone from $10 million worth of equity index funds would allow for a generous increase in my material standard of living with effectively no risk of loss of income. A 50% portfolio drop wouldn't concern me, as I'd still be able to live comfortably from dividends alone.

However, for someone who is used to a higher standard of living than the likes of $20K/yr can provide, I can well understand a more conservative approach.

Major Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 06:28 AM   #56

I didn't realize at first that this was an old thread that was resurrected, so my first thought was damn, some of you guys and gals are well off, if you've had enough stashed away to lose $1M in this latest rough patch!

I just ran my numbers last night, and was pleasantly surprised...so far this year I'm only down about 4.6%. At one point, I think it was in excess of 10%.

Back during that 2008 tumble, I did lose about $230K+from peak to trough. I topped out at around $422K in October 2007, and was down to $210K when I hit bottom in November 2008. I know that's only a $212K drop, but I was adding money during that downfall.
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 07:40 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I am down a Ferrari since the 2015 peak.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:51 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

I am down quite a bit from my personal high-water mark, but that was set back in July 2014.

Then, I figured out how much I have spent since then, and the real loss was not so bad. It's only 10% or so.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:41 AM   #59
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
I've lost at times, more money then I ever dreamed at having. After so many up and downs Ive learned not sweat the dips. The pile is was never the primary focus rather the result of LBYM and marrying the right gal. It built up slowly - kinda like autopilot - you've heard that phrase 'pay yourself first' my saving were always automatic. I didn't worry about its growth, I knew it would grow and I was too busy living. I grew and before I knew it was more then enough.

I've learned to focus on the income stream which has been more consistent. The market is a fickle beast -watching it each day and worrying isn't good for the soul.

I buy dividend stocks, ETFs and mutual funds - steady eddies if you will. Certainly not high flyers and likely kinda boring for most people. Even after all these years I still enjoy seeing the dividends accumulate.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.
+1 LBYM has served us well during the accumulation phase of our lives. It always amazes me when I look at our lifetime's accumulation of net worth (more than we ever imagined), and the amounts it has risen and fallen even in a day. Retired 6 years now (RE 58) and focus is on the income stream as well (draw dividends for income off taxable accounts). Keep a 52/48 stock/bond mix with mutual funds, and take a monthly PDF of it's performance (old habit).
fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:19 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I am down quite a bit from my personal high-water mark, but that was set back in July 2014.

Then, I figured out how much I have spent since then, and the real loss was not so bad. It's only 10% or so.
Sounds like someone either had a lot of EM equity, or oil and gas investments.

Ha