Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-20-2009, 09:38 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Jobshopper - aka contract engineer. Did it in two stints about 2 yrs after getting layed off for a total time of a little over a year.

Depending on your skill set - there a a variety of companies waiting to put you to work.

I still have one friend jobshopping in Huntsville - in his 70's - adult kids came home and haven't left yet. .

It's like being a landlord - either you master the skill set and take to the lifestyle or not.
Sounds like something I might like. I wonder if there is much hiring going on for job shoppers in this economy?

Free

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2009, 10:31 PM   #22

Anyone out there ever thought of being a temp manager or ceo? I've been giving that a little thought. If you could pick up stints as a temp manager or temp ceo for a few months to a year at a time, and built a name for yourself with the agency, you might be able to make a pretty decent go of it. I know a guy who has done it quite successfully, but he finds the contracts himself. I know there is an agency out there that specializes in this area, but can't remember the name.

R

Old 05-21-2009, 03:06 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I've done it once. From October 2005 to October 2006 I took a year off on purpose. I'm a financial services executive. I left a Global Head job and came back to a Regional Head job with a different organization. I asked to be made redundant last week and it was granted. I intend to take at least a year off, or possibly never return to the job market. As you move up the career ladder, jobs with similar or greater job responsibilities become harder to find. I wouldn't change a thing though. The year I took off, we oversaw the building of our house and my wife became pregnant with daughter number 2. Now I get to spend some incredible quality time with them. I've just personally come to the realization that I am more interested in being a good and available father and husband than climbing a corporate ladder.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:19 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Anyone out there ever thought of being a temp manager or ceo? I've been giving that a little thought. If you could pick up stints as a temp manager or temp ceo for a few months to a year at a time, and built a name for yourself with the agency, you might be able to make a pretty decent go of it. I know a guy who has done it quite successfully, but he finds the contracts himself. I know there is an agency out there that specializes in this area, but can't remember the name.

R
My college accounting teacher used to do this. He had 3 gigs in the 2 semesters that I was in his classes. In one gig, he was hired by a big firm as a CFO to retool the company. He put together a cost cutting plan that eliminated several management positions - including his. He liked to work as a consultant that would come in, fix things, and then leave.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:53 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Fuego, we have almost found it to be detrimental to our lives to have us both working. When we do the taxes are horrendous and as you say deductions phase out. We have found our quality of life has improved immensely by having DH in the major breadwinner role and me playing the supporting role. Our health has improved as we both sleep better as I don't get up early for work anymore, we don't eat out as often, we don't throw out as much food as I have time to cook based on what we have on hand.
This is sort of what is motivating me to consider intermittent ER or tag-team working with my wife. And knowing that an extended vacation is waiting after a stint of working would be motivating. However, I'm not sure that either of our careers are easily adapted to contract work, part time, or piecemeal. But I have the "kids" trump card for at least another 16 years that I can use to explain extended absences from the work world. And 16 years of intermittent work should be all it takes to meet our accumulation goals.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:33 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Fuego.....I am doing it right now while I go to school to be a massage therapist. I was working part time at a salon as a receptionist, but it got to be too much drama for too little money. I have replaced the income by doing a couple of more massages during those days that I would work.
I will explain the next four months off as taking time to finish school and have the summer off before I start working full time massaging at a couple of places and continue to build my clientale.
It is definitely doable and I think it shows future employers that you are responsible, flexible, and a go-getter....because that type of lifestyle takes a lot of gumption and planning to achieve. I wish you lots of luck and fun
Old 05-21-2009, 11:24 AM   #27

Fuego, there is nothing to say that you could not transition to something that could lend itself to the contract/part-time work. Not sure what fields you and your wife are in, but are you in fields that you absolutely adore? Put the money aside, is it worth you moving something that would allow you to achieve the goal you desire?

We have decided we do not want the responsibility of being self-employed in any fashion. Don't want the paperwork that is related, do not want to have to do the networking, we just want to be able to go thru an agency, get the job, get paid on a regular basis with the most we have to do is complete a timesheet.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:46 AM   #28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
Sounds like something I might like. I wonder if there is much hiring going on for job shoppers in this economy?

Free
Tons, and it pays really well, according to Frank. You don't get the same benefits package as for a "direct" job (non-jobshopping engineering work). Also moving around so much can be expensive. I gather that even though the salaries are higher, the expenses can be as well.

Frank used to do that and is looking at it again, since he has been notified that he and many others in his team will be laid off in June. He has been getting calls about contract jobs (jobshopping) nearly every week but has been telling them no.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:49 AM   #29

"Job shopping" and contracting are a double edged sword in a lousy economy. On one hand, they are often the first heads cut in a reduction since it's easier and cheaper to cut contract labor. On the other hand, in a lousy economy employers are more likely to want to hire contract labor -- maybe the need is temporary, or maybe they want to have more flexibility in future downsizing (again, being must costlier to lay off employees than cut contract labor).

The uptick in actual employees doesn't usually happen until later, when an employer is more convinced that an uptick in their business is going to endure.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:01 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Fuego, there is nothing to say that you could not transition to something that could lend itself to the contract/part-time work. Not sure what fields you and your wife are in, but are you in fields that you absolutely adore? Put the money aside, is it worth you moving something that would allow you to achieve the goal you desire?

We have decided we do not want the responsibility of being self-employed in any fashion. Don't want the paperwork that is related, do not want to have to do the networking, we just want to be able to go thru an agency, get the job, get paid on a regular basis with the most we have to do is complete a timesheet.
I'm sort of in a transitional phase in my career right now, but the new career has some potential for contract work from what I gather. Although the new career also has a much higher base pay than my current career (to go with the longer work hours). I also know I can pick up some part time contract work in a field related to my current occupation but the pay will be cut in half (on an hourly basis). Our benefits at my current firm are basically zero after the recent cutbacks, so going to contract basis wouldn't be much of a cut at this point.

DW is in back office investment banking. She could possibly do contract work, as they do have some contractors from time to time. Although the pay is probably not enough to compensate one for not being full time permanent and getting great benefits.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:57 PM   #31

I've met a few people who would work 6-9 months/year and travel the rest. This on/off work pattern is actually quite prevalent; think teachers or mothers on maternity leave.