Anyone ever intermittently ER'd?

Fuego.....I am doing it right now while I go to school to be a massage therapist. I was working part time at a salon as a receptionist, but it got to be too much drama for too little money. I have replaced the income by doing a couple of more massages during those days that I would work.
I will explain the next four months off as taking time to finish school and have the summer off before I start working full time massaging at a couple of places and continue to build my clientale.
It is definitely doable and I think it shows future employers that you are responsible, flexible, and a go-getter....because that type of lifestyle takes a lot of gumption and planning to achieve. I wish you lots of luck and fun :)

Fuego, there is nothing to say that you could not transition to something that could lend itself to the contract/part-time work. Not sure what fields you and your wife are in, but are you in fields that you absolutely adore? Put the money aside, is it worth you moving something that would allow you to achieve the goal you desire?

We have decided we do not want the responsibility of being self-employed in any fashion. Don't want the paperwork that is related, do not want to have to do the networking, we just want to be able to go thru an agency, get the job, get paid on a regular basis with the most we have to do is complete a timesheet.

Sounds like something I might like. I wonder if there is much hiring going on for job shoppers in this economy?

Free

Tons, and it pays really well, according to Frank. You don't get the same benefits package as for a "direct" job (non-jobshopping engineering work). Also moving around so much can be expensive. I gather that even though the salaries are higher, the expenses can be as well.

Frank used to do that and is looking at it again, since he has been notified that he and many others in his team will be laid off in June. He has been getting calls about contract jobs (jobshopping) nearly every week but has been telling them no.

Last edited:
"Job shopping" and contracting are a double edged sword in a lousy economy. On one hand, they are often the first heads cut in a reduction since it's easier and cheaper to cut contract labor. On the other hand, in a lousy economy employers are more likely to want to hire contract labor -- maybe the need is temporary, or maybe they want to have more flexibility in future downsizing (again, being must costlier to lay off employees than cut contract labor).

The uptick in actual employees doesn't usually happen until later, when an employer is more convinced that an uptick in their business is going to endure.

Fuego, there is nothing to say that you could not transition to something that could lend itself to the contract/part-time work. Not sure what fields you and your wife are in, but are you in fields that you absolutely adore? Put the money aside, is it worth you moving something that would allow you to achieve the goal you desire?

We have decided we do not want the responsibility of being self-employed in any fashion. Don't want the paperwork that is related, do not want to have to do the networking, we just want to be able to go thru an agency, get the job, get paid on a regular basis with the most we have to do is complete a timesheet.

I'm sort of in a transitional phase in my career right now, but the new career has some potential for contract work from what I gather. Although the new career also has a much higher base pay than my current career (to go with the longer work hours). I also know I can pick up some part time contract work in a field related to my current occupation but the pay will be cut in half (on an hourly basis). Our benefits at my current firm are basically zero after the recent cutbacks, so going to contract basis wouldn't be much of a cut at this point.

DW is in back office investment banking. She could possibly do contract work, as they do have some contractors from time to time. Although the pay is probably not enough to compensate one for not being full time permanent and getting great benefits.

I've met a few people who would work 6-9 months/year and travel the rest. This on/off work pattern is actually quite prevalent; think teachers or mothers on maternity leave.

Back
Top Bottom