Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone ever try "MarketRiders"?
Old 02-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Anyone ever try "MarketRiders"?

I had a client come in today who uses a program called "MarketRiders" to help manage the passive portion of his portfolio. Here's a link to the website:

MarketRiders - Online Portfolio Management Software

Apparently, this service tracks an all ETF portfolio that you can establish anywhere and monitors your allocation between the various sectors (small vs. large cap, foreign vs. domestic, etc.), then notifies you (must be via email) if your allocation is off by a pre-determined percentage (which I think you can choose). Looks like the costs amount to $15 per month plus trading costs, which can be zero if you choose free ETFs. Seems like a pretty nice (and low cost) program to help do-it-your-selfers systematically rebalance. Anyone have any experience with this? Or does anyone use a similar system for monitoring and rebalancing?
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I know of them, but I am trying to figure out the difference between looking at my portfolio and making my own decision versus them looking at my portfolio and telling me, then still having to make my own decision whether to follow their advice or not.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:33 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

$15/mth to tell you how much is in your accounts? Couldn't you put it in a Google Spreadsheet and track it daily or do they not cover ETFs?
Old 03-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #4

Okay, you both make a good point. I was thinking this system might be a good alternative for a busy professional or a retiree that is off traveling all the time who wants to continue to manage the portfolio themselves. But I guess a spreadsheet would work fine for most people for this type of portfolio. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Vanguard showed me my entire portfolio including automatically importing up to date balances on our 401k's from other institutions. And portfolio analysis also included our non-Vanguard assets. Didn't cost a dime to see it all together. And Vanguard is by no means cutting edge when it comes to technology, I suspect many brokerages & mutual fund services will track all your assets.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I checked it out and think it is great. I did not need the service but can see that it would fit alot of people. No trading cost with them they give you the info you open an account somewhere.

Heck don't have to read a book or be on this forum....less than 200 dollars a year. I can see that helping alot of people...heck for that kind of money i like to see their list.

Bob
ducky911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Vanguard showed me my entire portfolio including automatically importing up to date balances on our 401k's from other institutions. And portfolio analysis also included our non-Vanguard assets. Didn't cost a dime to see it all together. And Vanguard is by no means cutting edge when it comes to technology, I suspect many brokerages & mutual fund services will track all your assets.
That's true, although I haven't much success with that approach. For example, when I had funds at both Vanguard and Fidelity, Vanguard didn't accurately drill down on all the holdings I had at Fidelity and Fidelity apparently doesn't play well with Vanguard. Some of errors were obvious and others I didn't notice until I entered all the data into Morningstar- the results were very different. I'm sure it also has a lot to do with bringing in data from outside 401ks as well.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:59 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by panacea View Post
That's true, although I haven't much success with that approach. For example, when I had funds at both Vanguard and Fidelity, Vanguard didn't accurately drill down on all the holdings I had at Fidelity and Fidelity apparently doesn't play well with Vanguard. Some of errors were obvious and others I didn't notice until I entered all the data into Morningstar- the results were very different. I'm sure it also has a lot to do with bringing in data from outside 401ks as well.
Not doubting you at all, but Vanguard played perfectly for us with Schwab, Prudential & Fidelity.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Looks like the costs amount to $15 per month plus trading costs, which can be zero if you choose free ETFs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I know of them, but I am trying to figure out the difference between looking at my portfolio and making my own decision versus them looking at my portfolio and telling me, then still having to make my own decision whether to follow their advice or not.
Looks to me like it's about $15/month.

I think you could undercut them by aggressively pricing the LOL Market Timing Newsletter at just $14.95/month. Free shipping & handling, too!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marketriders