Anyone Hold TIPs in a Vanguard Fund?

ksr

Full time employment: Posting here.
I recently bought some 30-year TIPs in a Vanguard account. I'm confused about Vanguard's daily pricing of these - the price seems to move more than I'd expect. I also hold some TIPs in another brokerage account, and the pricing there is different (and more consistent).

I don't really need to know the price on a daily basis, but when I do my quarterly accounting I'd like to get an accurate price for my own accounting purposes. Anyone have any experience with this? Where is Vanguard getting its prices from, and is there a better source I can use to recalculate with?

Last edited:
I guess you mean you bought a bond in a Vanguard brokerage account and not fund. Many places give quotes for bonds. Here is one from Bloomberg:

Bloomberg.com: Government Bonds

BTW, TIPS are very volatile as you can see from the blue line here:
St. Louis Fed: Series: DFII10, 10-Year Treasury Inflation-Indexed Security, Constant Maturity

Yes, you're right - I should have said "Vanguard account", not "Vanguard fund". Thanks for the links. The Bloomberg quote is different than the prices shown in either Vanguard or ETrade. But looking at both the links you provided, I guess that each brokerage firm takes a snapshot at some particular time and uses that for a daily quote. Looks like Bloomberg has real-time quotes. I didn't realize the price was so volatile. Good info, thanks!

I didn't realize the price was so volatile.

The new 2040 issue has a duration of nearly 11 . . . meaning a 100bp increase in the real yield results in an 11% decline in price.

Back
Top Bottom