Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-12-2010, 08:11 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

36/53/11 Stocks/Bonds/Cash, I sold Vanguard high yield corporate today after a nice gain last year

I like to think Im retired but at 41 I have a LONG way to go

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2010, 09:41 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Our allocation--

95% equities
5% cash

Bonds seem pretty silly at current rates when you have a mortgage at 5.5%

We're paying down the mortgage instead of buying bonds.

I'm 37.

Bonds will probably enter the picture in 10 years or so, depending on their relative attractiveness.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:51 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
Our allocation--

95% equities
5% cash
I was 90/10 and went to about 95/5 when the markets plummeted in early 2009. Downside to holding too much in equities is that you can't buy as much on the dips.

I'm now at 80/20. If the markets drop again, I have more cash available to buy equities.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:06 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just thinking aloud ...

On asset allocation, is it better to have some cash held back to buy equities if the market does drop? Or if you have the cash on hand, then maybe that wasn't the proper allocation in the first place?
Old 02-13-2010, 11:31 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I had a stash of cash, but I used it to buy some real estate.
I do plan to build up a significant cash or cash equivalent reserve prior to RE. That way I can self annuitize for the first few years when the risk of sequence of returns is greatest. But all cash? All anything? Noooooooo!
Old 02-13-2010, 11:48 AM   #26

True enough.

Since we are in full accumulation mode, though, we are always buying steadily. We bought plenty during the dip (at the time it sure felt like too much ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki View Post
I was 90/10 and went to about 95/5 when the markets plummeted in early 2009. Downside to holding too much in equities is that you can't buy as much on the dips.

I'm now at 80/20. If the markets drop again, I have more cash available to buy equities.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:36 PM   #27

[QUOTE=CATAMAN;903693]...I would be very interested in reading about the assest allocation of all cash positions..../QUOTE]

Are you asking about allocation to checking, savings, mmf, cds, tax exempt mmf? That may be all the choices you have.

Not something I would do.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:49 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks to the Bogleheads, we are invested 50/50 (after 1 year living expenses in cash):

Roth IRAs:
50% Intermediate treasuries
50% TIPS

Stocks:
60% Total Stock Market
40% FTSE All World ex-US

This is after having the one year's living expenses in laddered CD's. Too bad we missed out on those great rates a couple of years ago. Our mistake was to just have the cash in a 3 month CD, that kept rolling over - because we were building a house.

When all is said and done, we will have income from Social Security and rental property. I love to invest, and after maintaining our prudent reserve (one year's living expenses), we will continue to dollar cost average.

I think that an important aspect is to have an investing plan, and stick with it. I read The Boglehead's Guide to Investing about three times before I decided which way to go. I have read The Four Pillars..., but, have to continue to comb through it. Bill Bernstein is brilliant, and it will typically take a few readings for me to get it!
Old 02-13-2010, 01:28 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Cash, stocks, bonds, gold, paid for house.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:38 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have been exploring the possibility of going all cash, even though I am years away from early retirement.
Unless you happen to have a huge amount of wealth and can tolerate zero risk, I would not recommend 100% cash. Inflation, though low today, will be back soon...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:53 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

With interest rates at historic lows why would anybody want to be in all cash? I could undertstand if rates were at like 10% on CD's and money market accounts but at 1.5 or 2% your not even keeping up with inflation.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:54 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I would not recommend 100% cash. Inflation, though low today, will be back soon...
Trouble is, owning stocks may not help. Check the 1972-1982 S&P performance, during the biggest sustained USA inflation of the 20th century. On the other hand, stocks performed magnificently during the 1990s, a period of very low inflation. Hate to see a beautiful theory destroyed by ugly data.

Fluorescent Dreams Wax Cylinders - Economics: S&P 500 v. unemployment...
Old 02-13-2010, 03:09 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Have a large amount in 5 year Cd's. I purchased these in September 07 yielding 5%. I own commercial real estate but not sure about that. I have a retirement fund. When the Cd's are due I do not have a clue what I will do with the money. I might just go to Vegas and put it on red or blue
Old 02-13-2010, 03:32 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Years to go before retired, and I don't think we dare risk all cash. Growth is critical if we are to ever retire, and CD rates are just too low. Maybe having 70% in stocks is too risky, but we didn't start planning early enough to be able to just stash $ in the passbook account and ever be able to retire. Perhaps if I was very wealthy I would go into strict preservation mode, but for now, I have to hope for growth.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:43 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I went 33% bonds and the rest cash back in September when the dow was at 9800. This was from a 75% stock 25% bond allocation. I'm only 46 and not planning on retiring any time soon but I'm feeling like things aren't going to be good and what we've been seeing of late is nothing more than an aberration caused by the government artificially propping the markets up.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:17 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Stocks, bonds, commodities, foreign bonds, merger arb funds, warrants/options, cash, CDs, and most anything else I can find. Have been aggressively paying down my mortgage, wich may or may not translate as anything to do with the portfolio.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:33 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaman View Post
I went 33% bonds and the rest cash back in September when the dow was at 9800. This was from a 75% stock 25% bond allocation.
Wow, that's quite a change in AA. What prompted you to make such a change?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:35 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I think that I will take the suggestion to read "Four Pillars" as my interest to go "all cash" is prompted by all the bad news I read and hear about the future of the U.S. & world economy. As "Novaman" expressed, the markets seem to be gyrating based on market manipulation by the various federal stimulus programs rather than normal corporate growth. Seem like our society is going through a fundamental shift in it's desire to consume and that it could forever change the growth track of companies. I know the experts of the world suggest ignoring the "noise" of the media but for the life of me, I don't see a way out of all this deficit spending, debt and unfunded liability mess other than masssive growth in the private sector. Yet, consumers, the private sector, don't seem to be reacting accordingly.
That said, and based on reading the replies to my OP, I guess cash would only make things worse. I feel like my options are cash or roll the dice that things will return to the way they use to be. BTW - I'm currently 60/40 (stocks/bonds) at 51 Years old. -Cataman
Old 02-14-2010, 09:37 AM   #39

After the dot com crash of a few years ago, I moved about 90 percent of my retirement money into cd's and "stable value" funds. The stable value funds are an amalgamation of all sorts of things, but are indeed "stable" to the outside observer, yielding a low but predictable percentage, currently 3.5 percent per year.

I have the other 10 percent in IBM and AT&T, and just watch them go up and down, get the dividends, and don't worry about it.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:42 AM   #40

For me, getting completely out of debt (including a paid-off house) means that we don't have to take nearly as much market risk since it significantly reduces the amount of income we'll need to draw from our portfolio in retirement.

Our current AA is increasingly (over time) being set to seek a mix of modest growth through some equities, income through investment-grade bonds and high-dividend stocks, capital preservation through some cash equivalents and inflation protection with TIPS, precious metals and other commodities.

Actually, come to think of it -- it's starting to sound more and more like the Permanent Portfolio, though that was somewhat unintentional.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote