Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone Incorporate their trading / investment account?
Old 01-09-2017, 08:08 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone Incorporate their trading / investment account?

from a tax standpoint and possibly a liability point?

It seems like it would take most of the judgment out of the question ...

Here's an Investopedia article. Thanks in advance!

Benefits Abound For Active Traders Who Incorporate | Investopedia
green night is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2017, 08:55 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I doubt many, if any, on here would fit the IRS requirement.
How the IRS Defines a Trader
In IRS Publication 550 and Revenue Procedure 99-17, the IRS has set out general guidelines that provide guidance as to the activities that qualify trading as a business. To be engaged in a business as a trader in securities, a person must trade on a full-time basis, and derive most of his or her income through day trading. According to the IRS, a trader is someone who trades significantly and continuously in order to profit from the short-term fluctuations in security prices.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:00 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The trader definition applies only to individuals. Corporations do not have to meet those requirements. If the corporate tax rate drops, this may become a more attractive option.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:10 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
The trader definition applies only to individuals. Corporations do not have to meet those requirements. If the corporate tax rate drops, this may become a more attractive option.

The article doesn't read quite that clean but it definitely agrees that if you incorporate you have more flexibility. I'm worried that I'll be in that middle ground (lots of trading but a few long term holdings) and find myself having to get an attorney etc.

It seems like the safest way is to incorporate it. Also will come in handy if if I have some consulting/1099 income.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:26 AM   #5

Different tax system here (Europe), but I will likely incorporate in two years and transfer my fixed income holdings there.

It's a tax optimization thing: I'll pay 1.2% of unincorporated assets regardless of returns, and 25% on gains of incorporated assets (minus expenses). For low yielding assets incorporating works in my favor.

Not to mention I already have a corporation setup from which I do my side activities, so admin wise it doesn't cost me much more.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:46 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I have migrated the trading part of my portfolio to my Roth IRA. That removes any concerns about taxes from the process. It's a much more comfortable was for me to, as Uncle Mick says, burn off excess testosterone. Particularly nice is not having to worry about short term vs. long term capital gains.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:01 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

My wife "Inc'd" her business. In the end there are benefits tax wise and 401k wise, but also more paperwork, she had to hire an accountant, more red tape. So keep that in mind too.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:09 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

1st, sounds like it is a job to me to be a trader....

2nd, I do not believe in trading as investing... I am interested in investing, not trading...

3rd, how much money are you really talking about The benefits they say do not make much difference unless you have some real money in the game... I could care less that there is a $3K loss limit... and as mentioned a few posts up I do my 'trading' in an IRA so no taxes anyhow.... I just accept my losses as a loss and my gains as a gain...

4th, I do not want to file another tax return and deal with the other requirements for a corporation....

And last.... what IS the question you want to take the judgement out of
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:14 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

2nd, I do not believe in trading as investing... I am interested in investing, not trading...

3rd, how much money are you really talking about The benefits they say do not make much difference unless you have some real money in the game... I could care less that there is a $3K loss limit... and as mentioned a few posts up I do my 'trading' in an IRA so no taxes anyhow.... I just accept my losses as a loss and my gains as a gain...

4th, I do not want to file another tax return and deal with the other requirements for a corporation....

The IRS has strict Guidelines to be categorized as a trader. It seems from what I read you can't be a trader and investor (long term holder) in same account.

Traders have many more tax advantages. Inc seemingly gets around all that and you add flexibility but with all the paperwork etc.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:18 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I'm talking about a $1.2MM. So, let say I make 100k, I would like to shield some of that for a couple computers, 401k, etc.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:22 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

It sounds like the benefit of incorporating is only if you are a poor trader... you can deduct losses in excess of the $3,000/year..... I actually have had few losses so I don't see any benefit... also, if I'm successful I would prefer to pay 15% capital gains rate or even 15%/25% ordinary tax rate to 35% corporate tax rate. Not a good idea for most people.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:33 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
It sounds like the benefit of incorporating is only if you are a poor trader... you can deduct losses in excess of the $3,000/year..... I actually have had few losses so I don't see any benefit... also, if I'm successful I would prefer to pay 15% capital gains rate or even 15%/25% ordinary tax rate to 35% corporate tax rate. Not a good idea for most people.

To add to this... that is NET... so you can deduct as many losses as you have as long as you have more gains...

But, it is not 15% gain as he is going to be trading... not investing... all should (will) be ST gains/losses.....
Old 01-10-2017, 09:39 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by green night View Post
I'm talking about a $1.2MM. So, let say I make 100k, I would like to shield some of that for a couple computers, 401k, etc.

Have you been doing this already From what I read most people doing trading do not make money....

But I will say that, yea, you are talking about some money where it might make sense... me, I would just invest it and say make $80K or so and only pay taxes on my realized gains (which might be 0 tax).... OR, invest in preferred shares and get divis in the same $80K range...

Which means.... I do not have to work!!!

BTW, are you going to day trade or what? IOW, how many trades are you planning on doing?
Old 01-10-2017, 09:45 AM   #14

One major benefit: individuals are taxed on income, whereas corporations are taxed on profit (income minus expenses). Under a corporate structure one can deduct many costs that an individual cannot. Another benefit that article discusses is shielding one's assets from personal liability.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:39 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
One major benefit: individuals are taxed on income, whereas corporations are taxed on profit (income minus expenses). Under a corporate structure one can deduct many costs that an individual cannot. Another benefit that article discusses is shielding one's assets from personal liability.
But that is some BS IMO.... what expenses are you going to deduct For an individual I cannot see a big list of deductions that are sitting there waiting to be taken... but hey, I could be wrong...

Also, how does it shield your assets If you are sued and lose, then all your assets are at risk, including your ownership in the corporation.... maybe there are some legal things that I am unaware of, but I do not see a lot of protection...

Now, going the other way... what can the corp do that would create liability Again, I do not see any way to cause a lawsuit by just trading... any thoughts?
Old 01-10-2017, 01:54 PM   #16

Quote:
But that is some BS IMO.... what expenses are you going to deduct For an individual I cannot see a big list of deductions that are sitting there waiting to be taken... but hey, I could be wrong...
There are many items which can be paid by one's portfolio management corporation rather than the individual, all of which reduce taxable income from the very first dollar. Anything that is used by the corp to service its portfolio become its expense: web, phone, even TV to get CNBC, WSJ subscription, etc. Then there's a computer to maintain accounts online, and the electricty that powers it. Perhaps the corporation hires an accountant or attorney. If IRS specs are met, the corp can have an office in your home, and pay for necessary maintenance, heating, cooling, etc. The list is long.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:04 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There are many items which can be paid by one's portfolio management corporation rather than the individual, all of which reduce taxable income from the very first dollar. Anything that is used by the corp to service its portfolio become its expense: web, phone, even TV to get CNBC, WSJ subscription, etc. Then there's a computer to maintain accounts online, and the electricty that powers it. Perhaps the corporation hires an accountant or attorney. If IRS specs are met, the corp can have an office in your home, and pay for necessary maintenance, heating, cooling, etc. The list is long.

Yes, and taking out your friends and family for dinner to talk investments etc.... some are legit, some are not... however, I will agree that many people take all of the above even if they do not qualify... I do not think you can take an in home office through your corp as it does not own the corp... but, this is just a guess on my part... OH, you also open up a can of worms when it comes time to sell your house when you take a deduction...

Even if you take all of these, how much is it... $5K... maybe $10K.... so, unless you are going big (and the OP seems to be with the amount of money) then it seems to be a bit overkill IMO...
Old 01-10-2017, 08:49 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Yes, and taking out your friends and family for dinner to talk investments etc.... some are legit, some are not... however, I will agree that many people take all of the above even if they do not qualify... I do not think you can take an in home office through your corp as it does not own the corp... but, this is just a guess on my part... OH, you also open up a can of worms when it comes time to sell your house when you take a deduction...

Even if you take all of these, how much is it... $5K... maybe $10K.... so, unless you are going big (and the OP seems to be with the amount of money) then it seems to be a bit overkill IMO...

Thanks for all the replies. So, I have $1.2 MM business... trading stocks , covered call options, investing, and let's say I pick up a rental property.

Let me do a little quick math to test the group. Let's. Say I have 100k in revenue. 3k in computer and tech, 7k in car lease and insurance, 5k in other, 5k for employee. That's 80k, solo 401k (can contribute 20% of net profits plus 17,500)... so 33,500.

Net - I'm paying taxes on $46,500?? All that could be high but I'm trying to test the theory. I know the car is aggressive but with a rental?

At some point, all the large investors made it a business.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:07 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by green night View Post
Thanks for all the replies. So, I have $1.2 MM business... trading stocks , covered call options, investing, and let's say I pick up a rental property.

Let me do a little quick math to test the group. Let's. Say I have 100k in revenue. 3k in computer and tech, 7k in car lease and insurance, 5k in other, 5k for employee. That's 80k, solo 401k (can contribute 20% of net profits plus 17,500)... so 33,500.

Net - I'm paying taxes on $46,500?? All that could be high but I'm trying to test the theory. I know the car is aggressive but with a rental?

At some point, all the large investors made it a business.

What kind of corp are your going for? LLC or S? (do not know what you can get away with here).

Are you going to be paying yourself? (if you go C, heck even if LLC or S)

I think the car is aggressive since you will not be using it primarily for your rental... but, you can be like my late BIL and play deduction roulette...
Old 01-10-2017, 10:08 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Unless the equipment and car is used exclusively for business then you're going to have to prorate the cost between business and personal (just like any sole proprietor).

But even if you can deduct it all then you're paying 35% corporate tax on that $46,500.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote