Join Early Retirement Today
Re: Anyone know anything about these?
Old 10-31-2006, 08:45 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have a hunk (probably too much) of my $ in Dodge & Cox Balanced with Fidelity as custodian.

OP may find s/he sleeps better if the pot is divided between a couple fund management groups. As Mother advised me as a kid, don't spend all your money in one place.

Duck bjorn.
Brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2006, 04:16 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Originally Posted by astromeria
.... but IMO a discussion of good fund companies should mention Dodge & Cox.
I agree. I've been moving from individual stocks to mutual funds to index stuff. But the last mutual funds I'd selll (and probably never will) would be the Dodge and Cox funds.

Regarding companies mentioned in OP, I have Vanguard and Fidelity - moving more towards Vanguard (because of lower expense ratios). I think Fidelity has a slightly better website.

Delawaredave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 08:30 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by mb
I think that NORDS is the only person on this board that I have heard express a negative opinion on Vanguard.
I have no personal experience with Vanguard and I don't plan to ever acquire any, but FundAlarm ran an article about an employee's 2003 SEC complaint with the company.

Admittedly everything may be all better now, but IMO Vanguard seems to under-fund the customer service department and overhype the asset-consolidation marketing department. You could also ask the Vanguard Diehards for their worst customer-service stories and see if anything there is a concern.

20 trouble-free years with Fidelity...

The book written on, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 08:49 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I got no problems with Vanguard or Fidelity or really any other fund family.

But I don't plan to deal with them.

USAA has an S&P index fund that has an expense ratio approximately what all the rest charge. They arrive on the scene as what they are -- possibly the finest company in the US dedicated with a capital D to customer service.

The former military officers on the board know about USAA. A little story about them may help . . . .

They are a non profit, member owned insurance (financial services) firm. About 10 yrs ago there was an internal quarterly meeting of regional managers for the life insurance portion of their business. Manager after manager got up and gave his briefing of performance. Some had performance below plan, some were above plan. One particular regional manager briefed performance 25% above plan -- achieved via a combination of selling high margin riders and reduced payouts.

There was silence in the room. The VP thanked everyone for their input and adjourned the meeting, but asked that manager to stay behind. He was asked to provide the details on his performance and how it was done. The manager provided it all, thinking the company would adopt it nationwide.

He was removed from his position and offered another post with no management authority. He resigned in a huff.

The company briefed the story -- pointing out that performance like that above plan could be achieved only at the expense of the customers (members) and this was unacceptable in the USAA culture.

Anyway, I prefer to deal with them for just about everything. I diversify into other places, but with them I never have to do ongoing research to see if I'm being gouged. I confess I checked up on them a few times over the decades, but I don't bother anymore. They are always either competitive or superior in all their rates. I've been a member about 33 yrs now. I have a few personal experience stories of dealing with them, but maybe too far off topic.

Anyway, their S&P fund is where I park that allocation.

modlair is offline   Reply With Quote