Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-24-2015, 11:20 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEMouse View Post
Not take the job? Not knowing if it's industry standard doesn't help. Anyone here signed a similar form or am I the only dupe?
Its common, I had to sign one.

So once I developed time travel, I went back and replaced the ink in the pen with disappearing ink, so I could keep the royalties.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2015, 12:00 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Maybe you meant to write this: anyone who's reading an hour of this forum every day instead of creating a blog is wasting $15K-$25K per year.
My wife's last software job, she was pulling in $135/hr. 365 hours of blogging would need to pay around $50k.

Of course she watches 1 to 2 hours of TV now per day...I should scold her.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 12:59 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
My wife's last software job, she was pulling in $135/hr. 365 hours of blogging would need to pay around $50k.

Of course she watches 1 to 2 hours of TV now per day...I should scold her.
The problem with straight up programming is there is no passive income element. When you stop working you stop getting paid. A niche, evergreen web page that takes maybe 4 hours in an afternoon to write and makes $100 a year for 10 years with no ongoing effort can end up returning $250 an hour over time.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:07 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
The problem with straight up programming is there is no passive income element. When you stop working you stop getting paid. A niche, evergreen web page that takes maybe 4 hours in an afternoon to write and makes $100 a year for 10 years with no ongoing effort can end up returning $250 an hour over time.
Yes, I was being silly. 15k per year for a bit of work is not bad at all.

I was going to get her to write a few smart phone apps for passive income but maybe I will think about web pages myself.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:35 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Yes, I was being silly. 15k per year for a bit of work is not bad at all.
And no more need to sit in meetings like the "The expert" video:

Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 05-24-2015, 05:44 PM   #26
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEMouse View Post
Alas, if you work for a megacorp, when you join they make you sign over the rights to all patents obtained during your tenure, even for ones you create outside of work on your own time.

Then again, I'm not sure if that's universal or if I got suckered as a fresh-face college grad who didn't know any better.
Pretty universal. I did in twice - once for each job I had.

I fail to see how if you were given a job & told what was required how you can begin to think you got suckered. At what age do people stop being victims & instead are responsible for their choices?
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:50 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
I fail to see how if you were given a job & told what was required how you can begin to think you got suckered. At what age do people stop being victims & instead are responsible for their choices?
Turning over patents developed outside of work on your own time does not seem like a fair request to me, even if it is standard industry practice. It seems like something industry lobbyists would work to get backed.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:16 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree 100% with Nords. Reading smartpassiveincome.com for the past 4 years really opened by eyes to what is possible AND how to make it happen.

I have a blog/website related to my industry. I have a few online classes, a paid private forum, and a few digital products I sell. The site has been up for 2.5 years and makes about $40k in digital product sales (passive income) plus I do some coaching and mentoring which brings in another $5k or so a year (not passive but I enjoy it). As I add more products and classes, my income increases.

It takes me 5-10 hours a week to maintain plus additional time to create new products/courses. I outsource some admin tasks and a small amount of the writing.

I still run another related biz part time as well but the plan is to eventually sell that and just have the blog until we can completely retire in about 10-12 years. Then I suppose I will sell the blog...depends on how I feel and how much $ it is making.
outdoorgirl02 is offline   Reply With Quote