Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-06-2008, 08:20 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Would you call that "bump" drafting Nords?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2008, 08:48 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The auto manufacturers are pulling out all the stops to increase gas mileage, because they know higher mileage sells cars. They are spending big bucks to drill lightening holes in various components to save an ounce or two. All so that, on test day, the car might squeak out one more MPG. Given all this, and the known benefit to gas mileage of the relatively simple and no-cost step of increasing tire pressure, isn't it logical to assume that the max tire pressure listed on the doorframe/owners manual is really the maximum safe pressure to which you should fill the tires? On test day, the tires can only be inflated to the max PSI recommended in the manual. The max pressure listed on the sidewall is not the right number to use.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:16 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I see no reason to assume I can out think the manufacturers.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:40 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

If anything, I'd think they were already pushing it a bit.

I've been a little leery of my Pilots call for 5w20 oil...I think its getting 5w30 before the 110 degree heat sets in...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:12 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

I'm surprised this thread is concentrated on drafting and tire pressure. The two things that I do to increase mileage is coast, don't use my brakes, and turn off the engine at stop lights that I know are gonna take awhile. I get more than 20 mpg in city driving in my SUV. That may not be much to you Prius folks, but it's more than the EPA-rating for this vehicle.

Perhaps the most irritating to other drivers is coasting. I live about 3 miles and 6 stop lights from my job. I know all the light timings, so I will coast up to a half mile towards a red light or a light that is going to be red. Of course, the woman behind me in her Navigator or Sequoia or Escalade gets irritated and zooms around me towards the light at 10 mph over the speed limit only to slam on her brakes as the light changes to red. I coast up just as the light turns green and pass her while she is still stopped. It all repeats at the next light.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:24 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill View Post
I've agreed with the consensus here on most things, but I noticed one person mentioned the cost of wearing out my clutch. If someone could expand on that, my thought was when I have a downhill on the freeway I can push it in and ride for the 1-2 minutes at 800 rpm instead of 3000+ and save gas that way, and it would not be that many more gear shifts a day. Would that really shorten the lifespan of the clutch?
Not the clutch itself, but the throw-out bearing (in the clutch) life could be shortened. It has almost no stress on it until you actually depress the clutch pedal.

Manual Transmission: Pressure Plate

underline mine.

Quote:
Description: The throw-out bearing, or clutch release bearing as it's sometimes called, is located between the clutch fork and the pressure plate fingers. The throw-out bearing only operates when the clutch pedal is depressed; the bearing is not designed for continuous use.
As haha stated - this is generally regarded as a bit of a safety issue. You are not quite ready to respond if you need to accelerate quickly, and w/o engine braking, response can be a but different than expected.

-ERD50
Old 05-06-2008, 10:27 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Dale Jarett? Nah just a UPS commercial. Hes retiring this year. He hasnt bought it yet. The whole drafting thing reminds me of Nascar something fierce...
I think Ha was referring to Dale Earnhardt...

As for me, no tailgating tractor-trailer rigs! In fact, my rule is keep as large a space as possible, given the conditions, between me and EVERYBODY... Never know what the crazy f*ckers will do next. The motto in Dallas is "No move too stupid, no move too dangerous". It's better to cause a multi-car pile-up doing an illegal u-turn than to drive half a block farther to a convenient and safe place.

The added bonus to keeping your distance is gentler braking and acceleration, saving fuel and reducing wear on the vehicle.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:49 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

I am sure someone with more time can find the original article...

It was Car & Driver or Road and Track... when one of the hybrids were first coming out they had a bunch of car reviewers drive them and have a 'mileage contest'...

Since they knew that air drag was huge so they asked if they could 'draft'... they were told they could....

SO, they fixed up a shield on the back of an Excursion that let the car get right up to the back and draft... they won the contest... but some said they 'cheated'...

I do the coasting thing also.... and it is very funny to see people zoom around you again and again... they figure it out and the pull in front of you so you can not coast past them at the next light!!! OH well...
Old 05-06-2008, 11:04 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

lots of folks are building hydrogen boosters to save gas

One type uses electrolysis another type uses high voltage pulsing
circuit to get better than unity generation of hydrogen. see video above.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:29 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
The auto manufacturers are pulling out all the stops to increase gas mileage, because they know higher mileage sells cars. They are spending big bucks to drill lightening holes in various components to save an ounce or two. All so that, on test day, the car might squeak out one more MPG. Given all this, and the known benefit to gas mileage of the relatively simple and no-cost step of increasing tire pressure, isn't it logical to assume that the max tire pressure listed on the doorframe/owners manual is really the maximum safe pressure to which you should fill the tires? On test day, the tires can only be inflated to the max PSI recommended in the manual. The max pressure listed on the sidewall is not the right number to use.
That would make sense, but there are other factors at play. My Prius came with very low rolling resistance tires as original equipment. They were relatively wimpy tires. When I replaced them with Michelin HydroEdge tires, I was putting on a higher quality tire with a higher speed rating, meaning it can handle higher temperatures without damage. It's naturally less likely to burst due to overpressure.

Also manufacturers of "family" type cars may be motivated to make the suspension feel cushy by suggesting a lower air pressure, simply because they think that's what people want.

There is the reality that tire pressure is always less, never more, in between checks. If you err on the side of overinflation, then if you forget to check your pressure every week you are fine. If you err on the side of underinflation then forgetting to check can take you into the danger zone.

Another thing to consider is that many people check pressure when tires are hot from driving. Heck, even tire stores do this if you drive your car in. If they adjust the tire pressure at that time they will effectively be underinflating their tires.

So I still think that leaning towards overinflation rather than underinflation is the way to go.

Overinflation causes problems when people are lazy in a different way, inflating the tire until it "looks full" which could be 80psi. But if you stick to the tire max pressure (often 44psi) and use a gauge you should be good.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:40 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Side note: checked the tire pressure on my trailer tires for the first time in a few months.

Five in one and eleven in the other. Looked at the sidewall and they're rated for 90.

I turned my head a little when the compressor had them north of 60, just in case...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:29 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by free4now View Post

Also manufacturers of "family" type cars may be motivated to make the suspension feel cushy by suggesting a lower air pressure, simply because they think that's what people want.
My Volvo S40 ( their 'entry-level' compact car ) gives two sets of tire pressure - comfort and fuel economy. 39F/36R for fuel savings, 31/29 for comfort. I'll be checking tomorrow - I'm not sure what they are at now. I'll be making some hi-way trips in the van over the next two weeks, so will def check pressure before I leave (I usually do anyhow).

I'm not sure that the dangers of over-inflation are related to the tire blowing out from the extra pressure - I think it is just that the handling of the car can be adversely affected. I just checked three vehicles, the tires all had a 'max' PSI, but they also all said 'follow the car manual/placard for PSI'.

And yes, under-inflation is bad, too.

-ERD50
Old 05-07-2008, 07:00 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead View Post
lots of folks are building hydrogen boosters to save gas

One type uses electrolysis another type uses high voltage pulsing
circuit to get better than unity generation of hydrogen. see video above.
Bogus. He lost a court case brought by the investors he hoodwinked:

From wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Meyer%27s_water_fuel_cell

"Thus, if the device operated as claimed, the combustion cycle would start and end in the same state while extracting usable energy, thereby violating the first law of thermodynamics and allowing operation as a perpetual motion machine."
Old 05-07-2008, 07:06 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

If you are going to go through the machinations to remove the back seats and draft very large trucks, you might as well shave your head and drive naked.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:20 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Bogus. He lost a court case brought by the investors he hoodwinked:

From wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Meyer%27s_water_fuel_cell

"Thus, if the device operated as claimed, the combustion cycle would start and end in the same state while extracting usable energy, thereby violating the first law of thermodynamics and allowing operation as a perpetual motion machine."
I suppose nuclear bombs also violate that same law since the energy going in is just a few pounds of tnt.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:24 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Someone needs to read up on how nuclear bombs work. Theres some other stuff in there other besides the TNT.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:35 PM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Someone needs to read up on how nuclear bombs work. Theres some other stuff in there other besides the TNT.

So to summarize, I may be wearing out some parts by holding in the clutch, and I may delay my reaction time by having to release the clutch and accelerate rather than just step on the gas. I didn't want to put the stick in neutral because of the added time needed to get into gear, I always shift through the gears to make sure I'm in the right one when it's time to hit the accelerator again. As far as being a PITA for other commuters, I try to brake and stay with the flow of traffic on the downhill, keep good distances etc. - but there I'm wearing my brakes out faster than if I used the engine to brake. But the instant gas mileage runs up to 99.9 when I have the clutch in, pretty intoxicating!

All right, well, you've convinced me, I'll stick to the sane stuff, that's now got my car up to 27.1 mpg average combined.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:35 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by A854321 View Post
If you are going to go through the machinations to remove the back seats and draft very large trucks, you might as well shave your head and drive naked.
...but only if you drive a convertible!

omni
Old 05-07-2008, 07:50 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Thats not my naked head you're looking at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill View Post
I may be wearing out some parts by holding in the clutch
Yeah, throwout bearings arent intended for continuous use...
Old 05-07-2008, 10:04 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
watch the video, he is pulsing the plates with high voltage at their resonant frequency and the water molecules fall apart. his experiments have been duplicated.