Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-01-2016, 03:49 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I signed up for survivor benes on my deceased wife's account as soon as I could, age 60. I will medicare on those too...
Medicare survivor benefits?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2016, 03:49 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
You posted about getting survivor benefits, and answered a PM question I sent you. I had no idea I would be eligible.
Wasn't there just a thread that mentioned loosing some mental capacity around 60? I think I'm getting there...
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 03:50 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

I didn't pre-spend SS before I got it, because I was doing fine without it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:02 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Medicare survivor benefits?
When I sign up for Medicare at 65 I will have the fee deducted from SS which will still be on my deceased wife's account.

I won't claim SS on my account until FRA which will be over 5 years from now.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:13 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Even though I earned it, paid for it for ~40 years, (not by choice) and am entitled to it, I don't count SS as part of my NW until the money appears in my checking account each month.

No need to ask me how I feel about SS.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:37 PM   #26

I'm confused by this thread. Unless you borrow against future payments how can you spend something before you have it?

My WR is a bit higher now than it will be next year (I have my very small pension coming online towards the end of this year.) My WR will drop again when my SS comes onine. But my WR is below 4% now - so it's not really pre-spending... it's just drawing from a source that is available now vs from one that isn't available now.

Am I pre-spending my IRA money now because I'm using taxable accounts now vs having to pay a penalty for early withdrawals of IRA money?

Firecalc, I-Orp, FIDO retirement calculator, etc have all the data input - they say I'm good.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:12 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, it is kinda weird. It's good to know what you will be getting from SS via the "schedule", but unless you are getting it what good it it?

It's good to know what's coming and when for planning your financial life, but other than that?
Anyone "Pre-spending" SS?
Old 06-01-2016, 08:02 PM   #28

Good question Rodi. Some questions get interpreted by the readers differently.

I assumed something like a retiree is 60 and at 70 will collect $30k/yr. That person has $1m retirement nest egg, And they are comfortable with a 4% withdraw rate. I considered pre spending the SS as mentally taking the $300k to cover the ten years before SS starts. That leaves $700k in the retirement fund, so at a 4% WR adds $28k a year for a total of $58k a year instead of $40k

That makes a WR of 5.8%. Got to find someway to justify that high not so safe WR.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:11 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I'm confused by this thread. Unless you borrow against future payments how can you spend something before you have it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Yeah, it is kinda weird. It's good to know what you will be getting from SS via the "schedule", but unless you are getting it what good it it?

It's good to know what's coming and when for planning your financial life, but other than that?
My dilemma is do I get used to spending my current income and when I start my SS then reset my spending habits to account for the larger income, or do I set my current spending to match what my income will be when my SS comes on line? My thinking is I start spending it now. If I get in the habit of not spending it, I may just continue at that level even after the added income comes on line. My heirs would probably like that! The money is there. Its just a way to look at the when to spend it issue - now while younger or spend it later because it might be a little more secure or don't spend it at all.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:01 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Yes, that could be a problem. I have been told that I'm one of the few that has been able to successfully deal with it. This issue of living frugally and then being able to "loose the hounds" and seek ever more expensive pleasures.

But I've always been a hedonist at heart -

By all means blow the dough now and have fun!
Old 06-01-2016, 09:44 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I assumed something like a retiree is 60 and at 70 will collect $30k/yr. That person has $1m retirement nest egg, And they are comfortable with a 4% withdraw rate. I considered pre spending the SS as mentally taking the $300k to cover the ten years before SS starts. That leaves $700k in the retirement fund, so at a 4% WR adds $28k a year for a total of $58k a year instead of $40k

That makes a WR of 5.8%. Got to find someway to justify that high not so safe WR.
Hmm, that's not quite how I took it, but I know I was probably taking it differently. I'd amortize the 30K/yr that's coming in 10 years for the rest of my life. Without doing any actual calcs, let's just say it comes out to $250K. I'd add that to my $1M. If you're happy with a 4% WR, 4% of 1.25M is $50K. So I'd take out $50K instead of $40K, then in 10 years, I'd only take out $20K (plus whatever adjustments made for inflation) + $30K SS. Some might say I have a 5% WR early, then 2%, but I think of it as steady 4%.

I don't think it makes sense to just take 4% every year and then in 10 years get a $30K raise. People talk about taking SS early so they can spend it while they are more active; my thinking is to count on at least a discounted amount and "spend some it in advance" now, before I'm even eligible for SS, since I'm even more active now than I'll be at 62 or 70.

In real life, I think I'm spending under budget without throwing amortized SS+ pension in, so I'm not too worried about whether this is a flawed plan, but I don't think it is unless SS goes belly up. It could, but I think it's just as likely a 4% SWR could fail due to a worse run in the market than any backtesting shows.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:00 AM   #32

My WD rate will be higher before taking SS, but I don't think of it as pre-spending.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:49 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

On the cusp of retirement and delaying SS to 70, I add projected SS for me/DW (70/62+spousal) into an SWR based on multiple calculators (Firecalc, VPW, RIP, etc.) and then plan to dial it back a bit. I'm not as concerned as some about the future of SS over our remaining life spans. But I am cautious that higher withdrawals during the early years in anticipation of forthcoming SS (and reduced SWR at that time) might expose me a bit more to SOR risk. That said, even one or two average or better market years during the first few of retirement and I'll likely drop that concern as well.
UpAnchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:13 AM   #34

We are spending more than we would consider safe if we had no SS coming in the future. So, in a way, Yes. But we are spending 15% to 20% less than the amount calculated using GravitySucks method and a little less than FireCalc indicates is safe.
N02L84ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:35 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

We basically came up with a desired spending amount for retirement and subtracted what pension income would be. I then looked at the number of years between planned retirement and taking SS to calculate what would be the required passive income (dividends, capital gains, interest) plus cash withdrawals to make up that difference. At the earliest time we would consider SS, the decision will be driven based on whether we need it to reduce the amount of withdrawals, or if we want to increase our expenditures, or just wait if we really do not need it. So at least for the years before SS we are not pre-sending, but the year we take SS will depend on what our savings+investments look at at that time.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:55 PM   #36

rodi's comment struck a chord. In a few years time, I may well increase my WR, which is currently standing at ~2%. The fact that SS will be coming online for me in 10 years (at the earliest) will serve to increase my confidence, but even the new WR is unlikely to be more than ~3.5% (of my portfolio, and not including future SS). I don't think this qualifies as pre-spending SS.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:21 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I guess in a sense that we are "prespending" SS in that our WR is higher in ER whole we are relying on our savings... it will go down once I start my pension and will go down again when DW starts SS and when I start SS.

But to be candid... I think prespending SS is a bit of a silly way to frame it... money is fungible.

Actually your DW can access her IRA now... but with a 10% penalty or certain restrictions (SEPP). But we are doing the same as you... our spending is constant other than perhaps inflation but withdrawals are from our portfolios only to the extent that spending exceeds income (pension and SS).

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
DW is 58 and has a good sized IRA. For planning purposes, I have always included that amount in our portfolio even if she can't access it for another year and a half.

She plans to take SS at age 62.

I wonder how many of you would already include future SS in today's spending?

Or do you view it as a 'raise' (increase in income) coming in four years from now?

As with her IRA, we just withdraw her future benefit from our available portfolio and I suspect that Firecalc also implies doing the same.

We view her IRA and SS as banked money that is just waiting for the proper time to withdraw from a larger total and as those funds open up, we would lower our portfolio withdrawals. In essence, we'd maintain the same spending level but it would be coming from other sources.

Yes, I'm aware of a certain level of risk (accidental death, etc) but I'm excluding that at this time.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:00 PM   #38

Quote:

That's exactly what I intend to do. It's a mental trick really so that I can just use 4% or whatever both before and after I take SS at 70, but it helps me plan better. It's especially useful if you intend to use the VPW method that we chatted about in the past, since that needs a set/predetermined withdrawal rate.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:04 PM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am living pretty frugally and don't know if I will want to spend more over 70. I get half my exs SS now until 70 and draw down investments if I need money without a plan might take 2% now but less after my income goes up.
old woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:46 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
You spend more from savings today based on the fact you'll have SS coming in the future. It's a basic premise in the "delay until 70" strategy.