Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone "Pre-spending" SS?
Old 05-31-2016, 08:15 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DW is 58 and has a good sized IRA. For planning purposes, I have always included that amount in our portfolio even if she can't access it for another year and a half.

She plans to take SS at age 62.

I wonder how many of you would already include future SS in today's spending?

Or do you view it as a 'raise' (increase in income) coming in four years from now?

As with her IRA, we just withdraw her future benefit from our available portfolio and I suspect that Firecalc also implies doing the same.

We view her IRA and SS as banked money that is just waiting for the proper time to withdraw from a larger total and as those funds open up, we would lower our portfolio withdrawals. In essence, we'd maintain the same spending level but it would be coming from other sources.

Yes, I'm aware of a certain level of risk (accidental death, etc) but I'm excluding that at this time.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2016, 08:39 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sort of. We just plop all incomes and assets into the FIDO calculator and figure out what max post tax income would be over our lives (with the 90% success) and back off from that to 80% and sleep real well, since we don't even find things worth spending that amount most of the time.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:49 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I'm 63 and planning to file for Spousal benefits on a restricted basis at age 66 (I'm old enough that the recent elimination of this provision doesn't apply to me) and for SS on my own record at age 70.

In a way, I'm spending in anticipation of SS being available later, but we're still keeping our withdrawal rate under 4%. I just figure that 3.8% (our average over the 2 years since I retired) is a safer rate because SS kicks in later so that rate will likely decrease in the future.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:50 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I know it's not popular but I amortize my SS (75%, predicting cutbacks) and Pension (rounded down, forgot how much, since it's not inflation indexed) and include them in my net worth for purposes of calculating how much I can withdraw. I also do my NW without those numbers and am fine so basically those are a cushion, but I don't plan to increase my spending rate when I start collecting my pension and SS. This method seemed simpler to me than figuring out an uneven withdrawal rate once I'm collecting those.

For an IRA I would definitely include it in your net worth even if you can't withdraw yet. You may also need to have a separate plan for how to bridge to 59.5 if the IRA is a major component. Mine wasn't, but I guess I could see having two plans, one for before, and one for after 59.5.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:00 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

We set our current yearly allowable expense level by running FireCalc and I-ORP each year and solving for what level allows us to outlive our assets. We include future monies from SS in the calculation. We plan to take SS as early as possible. When I run this calc in future years, I may assume we only get 75% of SS due to the potential for future cuts.
Whisper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:17 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I just look at total retirement funding available year by year and have my own spreadsheet, plus I cross check with the FIDO calculator. I never worry about withdrawal rate in a given year. Our income, expenses and withdrawals will be and have been kind of lumpy. I focus on how much is left at "end of plan" time.

I leave a big buffer for changes like SS cuts, tax increases, LTC and pension cuts.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:06 PM   #7

I have not been, but I just verified that I will be receiving SS Survivor benefits in a couple years so I'm going to starting now. (Thanks Hermit!)
This will also ensure that I can wait till 70 to start regular SS barring no health issues. That should be income enough for a decent life if the portfolio completely bombs.

Reading the How Many Good Years thread has me thinking I might bump the spending even a bit more.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:19 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper66 View Post
We set our current yearly allowable expense level by running FireCalc and I-ORP each year and solving for what level allows us to outlive our assets. We include future monies from SS in the calculation. We plan to take SS as early as possible. When I run this calc in future years, I may assume we only get 75% of SS due to the potential for future cuts.
I hope we do not outlive our assets.
user5027 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:23 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

We never counted SS because we retired quite young. Now we see it as mostly going to cover Medicare and income taxes. There will be so little left over, we don't count it as money available for spending, even if we each wait until 70.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:35 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Mistake post
jabbahop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:46 PM   #11

I call it "income smoothing". I withdraw enough from 401k each year to bump my current SS and pension income up to what I will get when I switch from the late DW's SS account to my account at 70. It doesn't impact the tax bracket now or in the future for me and is under 3%. I don't think I will have a problem figuring out how to spend the extra cash!
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
I have not been, but I just verified that I will be receiving SS Survivor benefits in a couple years so I'm going to starting now. (Thanks Hermit!)
This will also ensure that I can wait till 70 to start regular SS barring no health issues. That should be income enough for a decent life if the portfolio completely bombs.

Reading the How Many Good Years thread has me thinking I might bump the spending even a bit more.
I'm not sure what I said, but you're welcome!
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:53 PM   #13

I count it when it comes. On my spreadsheet, I list my husband's age and my age and the column goes to 110(Hey, I'm optimistic), so I list the amount when I expect to take it.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:15 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I am planning to RE next year at 57 and do not count SS at all. If it is still there, I would defer until age 70 anyway and consider it a raise or one time COLA.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:59 PM   #15

I just calculate flat spending based on all income sources expected in the future. This includes social security, paychecks, pensions, ROI, etc.

Although at any given time a flat spending level is calculated, it really is/will be a variable income as the inputs continually change.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:19 PM   #16

I am planning on it being an addition. Sort of like inflation protection.

From 56 to 62, I plan on spending 100% rental income. It should be more than enough all by itself. And still save just a bit.
At 62, I will add in some dividends to the spending. Hopefully adding another $3K a month. Probably hire out more labor.
At 65, I will add in my Mega Corp pension, ~$1,260
At 67, the DGF pension will kick in, ~$800
At 70, I will add in my SS. ~$3K
At 74, the DGF's SS will kick in.
At 80, I am going to buy a strip joint.

At some point, ~age 62, I am going to start selling rentals. I am not 100% sure if I will do a 1031 or just a sell. If I sell outright, they may be converted to a bond fund.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:22 PM   #17

it is just another hypothetical income stream planned for the future. I don't think of anything being like pre-spending SS
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 03:17 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I don't count SS as I don't collect it yet, and still don't know when we will.

Basically I don't count my chickens until they hatch, so we only take out $$$ from available sources.
Once we are old enough to take out IRA's for spending, we will, until then its just regular old money..
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 03:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I'm not sure what I said, but you're welcome!

You posted about getting survivor benefits, and answered a PM question I sent you. I had no idea I would be eligible.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:44 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I signed up for survivor benes on my deceased wife's account as soon as I could, age 60. I will medicare on those too and then sign up on my own account after FRA.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote