Join Early Retirement Today
Anyone read Roger Gibson's Book?
Old 08-13-2003, 06:49 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Anyone read Roger Gibson's Book?

Has anyone read "Asset Allocation - Balancing Financial Risk" by Roger Gibson?

It was recommended to me lately and I'd be interested if anyone here has read or can comment on it.

Moguls (262 days and counting)

moguls is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Anyone read Roger Gibson's Book?
Old 08-30-2003, 06:13 PM   #2
Dryer sheet wannabe

Yes, I've read it recently. Its a classic on how to approach Finanical Planning. A bit dated but well worth reading.

ronbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 06:50 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
Send a message via Yahoo to RedOscar

I read Gibson's book a little over three years ago, shortly after I took my early retirement. I can thankfully say that book, along with a couple others, probably saved me $50,000 that summer.

We (the wife and I) had nearly $100k in Fidelity Advisor Growth for the boy's college funds. The oldest had just finished his freshman year, and the younger was to be a senior in high school. Gibson's book convinced me I could not afford the risk of having this money in the stock market (particularly growth oriented funds). So in July 2000, I called our financial advisor and told him I wanted to sell the fund and go to money market. Can you believe the a**hole tried to talk me out of that. I did not take the advisor's advice.

Needless to say, this fund lost half its value in the next 12 months. Mr. Gibson taught me a lot about risk and asset allocation, as well as about financial advisors.

It's not an easy read, but it is worth picking up at the library and spending some quality time.

RedOscar is offline   Reply With Quote