Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Re: Anyone really worried? I am...
Old 04-19-2007, 02:05 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Re: Anyone really worried? I am...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphabet soup
Let's see who's laughing in the next 18 months or so.
Those of us who diversify and don't spend time [MODERATOR EDIT] worrying about financial market bogeymen will most likely be laughing for quite a while.

[MODERATOR EDIT]
__________________

__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Anyone really worried? I am...
Old 04-19-2007, 04:45 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,288
Re: Anyone really worried? I am...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphabet soup
It's a essentially a question of your time frame. If you're looking out 15-30 years, then your thinking is correct. However, for those living off their portfolio, as I am, the very seriously rotting financial infrastrucyure in the US is very worrisome.
My mother is 87 and doesn't worry a bit about the markets or any of the dooms day stuff... good for her...

My BIL has been talking dooms day stuff for over 10 years. Fortunately he invested like I had suggested and made a lot of money.. but still does the dooms day talking...

Even if you are 100% correct.... I don't care. I will lose money, but will not go broke... you invest for the most likely outcomes... and that is a diversified portfolio that takes into account most of the ups and downs of the market, not the 'all hell breaks loose' options..

And if it goes REAL BAD.... then even what you might invest in will not protect you.
__________________

__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Anyone really worried? I am...
Old 04-19-2007, 06:11 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,136
Re: Anyone really worried? I am...

I went through this thread and did some editing and deleting. Those of you who have a soapy taste in your mouth will know why.

Nothing to see here, move along...

__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Anyone really worried? I am...
Old 04-19-2007, 09:15 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 142
Re: Anyone really worried? I am...

As to the original poster's comment... I've been a subscriber to the Index Investor (the sister of RetiredInvestor) for years. They're one of the few things on the Internet that I pay for (other than this site) and I think they're worth it.

In each issue, they provide a bunch of market and economic data along with analysis that's pretty interesting. I don't do a ton with this information in terms of my investing plan, but I like to read it in order to be more informed about the state of the world economy and world markets.

What I like most about them is that they often have unique insights on the current issues of the day, especially wrt investing. They're not afraid to step off the beaten path in their analysis, yet they don't go too far off the deep end for my taste.

Finally, the folks that run the site love to dig into the latest academic research and provide highlights and pointers to the latest papers. I use them as a filter to help stay up to date on the latest thinking coming out of academia.

Jim
__________________
magellan_nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Anyone really worried? I am...
Old 04-20-2007, 06:52 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Re: Anyone really worried? I am...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Those of you who have a soapy taste in your mouth will know why.
"Tastes like chicken", as the altar boy said to the priest.

You never let me have any fun with the piglet sodomizers...
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Anyone really worried? I am...
Old 04-20-2007, 03:37 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 7,409
Re: Anyone really worried? I am...

Rats!

Skip the piglets - now that I'm getting in the mood to go bargin shopping the stupid market seems to going up.

Heck - may end up getting that kayak and exploring the Missouri Ozarks yet - Mr Market will fall in the Fall - for sure - right?

heh heh heh - sell in May and go away - is that the old cliche :.
__________________
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Anyone really worried? I am...
Old 04-20-2007, 03:56 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,136
Re: Anyone really worried? I am...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2

Skip the piglets..

Heck - may end up getting that kayak and exploring the Missouri Ozarks yet...
Unclemick, I can't quite place it, but there is something vaguely disturbing about the mention of "piglets" and the "Ozarks" in the same post. If you can think of it please give us a squeal.

__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Anyone really worried? I am...
Old 04-20-2007, 04:36 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,620
Re: Anyone really worried? I am...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
Rats!
Skip the piglets - now that I'm getting in the mood to go bargin shopping the stupid market seems to going up.
Heck - may end up getting that kayak and exploring the Missouri Ozarks yet - Mr Market will fall in the Fall - for sure - right?
heh heh heh - sell in May and go away - is that the old cliche :.
It's OK, everyone, we can all relax now. This pesky market top should be done.

Our ER portfolio has been setting all-time highs all month and yet today was one jaw-dropping performance. So after a stratospheric leap like that there's nowhere else to go but down. I'm hoping for a 5% "sell in May" setback but 10-15% wouldn't bring a tear to my reinvesting-the-dividends eye. Hey, maybe the housing & subprime mortgage markets will suck!

It could really be different this time but it can't possibly go any higher-- right?
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Anyone really worried? I am...
Old 04-20-2007, 04:49 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 7,409
Re: Anyone really worried? I am...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Unclemick, I can't quite place it, but there is something vaguely disturbing about the mention of "piglets" and the "Ozarks" in the same post. If you can think of it please give us a squeal.

Hmmm - open mouth insert foot - I think I will let that one slide. Besides I thought the famous movie was made in Georgia or something.

heh heh heh heh - meanwhile hurry up and wait for bargins in the Fall - marketwise.
__________________
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Anyone really worried? I am...
Old 04-20-2007, 04:57 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,136
Re: Anyone really worried? I am...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

It could really be different this time but it can't possibly go any higher-- right?
Well, it could be that there is a bit more climbing to do up that 'wall of worry'. Me? I'm just along for the ride.

__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Anyone really worried? I am...
Old 04-20-2007, 05:39 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.
Alex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 696
Re: Anyone really worried? I am...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone6
Well, at $29 for 6 months, I appreciate a non-cheerleading assessment of economic conditions around the world. They also have some interesting - and different - asset class definitions that aren't all that common.

One of my favorite quotes, cited occassionally in retiredinvestor, but also in the book "The dollar crisis", is "things that can't continue eventually don't continue".

With our gutless leaders, inane economic policies, unsustainable imbalances and a populace spending more than they make and not willing to sacrifice a thing - I believe that eventually it won't continue. In other words, I believe we're close to or at the peak of our power and wealth and have much more downside potential than upside going forward...
oh goody!! another optimist!! Welcome!~!! :
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Those of us who diversify and don't spend time [MODERATOR EDIT] worrying about financial market bogeymen will most likely be laughing for quite a while.

[MODERATOR EDIT]
I agree. Invest for the long term and then continue to live and enjoy your life.
__________________
Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.--Drew Carey
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Anyone really worried? I am...
Old 04-21-2007, 10:19 AM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Gone4Good's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5,381
Re: Anyone really worried? I am...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone6
So yeah, I agree - alls great...record trade defecits don't matter, a housing slump doesn't matter, a negative savings rate doesn't matter - we're gonna get 10% returns forever...
Compared to other points in recent history (WWII, the Cold War, race riots, 10% inflation, the 1980's record trade deficit , etc.) that list of concerns actually seems pretty trivial.

Even compared with things that have happened in the last 7 years, the list seems pretty trivial:
1) Tripling of oil prices
2) ~50% decline in the S&P 500
3) Two wars (ongoing)
4) Worst attack on US homeland in 60 years
5) A natural disaster that wiped out the country's 31th largest city
6) Massive corporate fraud that bankrupted several of the Fortune 500
7) Recession

And yet 10-year equity returns are right around 9% despite suffering all of those set backs.
__________________
Retired early, traveling perpetually.
Gone4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Anyone really worried? I am...
Old 04-21-2007, 01:44 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 98
Re: Anyone really worried? I am...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Yrs to Go
Compared to other points in recent history (WWII, the Cold War, race riots, 10% inflation, the 1980's record trade deficit , etc.) that list of concerns actually seems pretty trivial.

Even compared with things that have happened in the last 7 years, the list seems pretty trivial:
1) Tripling of oil prices
2) ~50% decline in the S&P 500
3) Two wars (ongoing)
4) Worst attack on US homeland in 60 years
5) A natural disaster that wiped out the country's 31th largest city
6) Massive corporate fraud that bankrupted several of the Fortune 500
7) Recession

And yet 10-year equity returns are right around 9% despite suffering all of those set backs.
Some very good points. What concerns me most is the fact that 70% of the US economy is consumer spending - and virtually no one argues that the US consumer is either tapped out or nearly tapped out. Personal debt is at an all-time high, and the savings rate is now negative for the first time since the depression. If it is true that the American consumer at some stage can't get access to any more capital, and spending drops significantly, what would be the result?

One other thing to consider is this...take a look at the chart. (If a simpleton like me can figure out how to get it onto this page...) Notice the huge market gains from 1955-1985. Then we get exponential growth (granted, with a large pullpack following 2000 - when your S&P pullback occured). But then the exponential growth started again - mostly on the backs of the American consumer.

Nothing grows exponentially indefinetly. I'm not anti-market...I just believe this market is overvalued - world-wide, through a giant influx of cheap capital courtesy of the FED. The old axiom is to buy low and sell high. I think buying equities at this time is buying high - too high for my tastes.
Attached Images
File Type: png chart.png (4.0 KB, 22 views)
Attached Files
File Type: png_thumb chart.png_thumb (10.7 KB, 0 views)
__________________
cyclone6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Anyone really worried? I am...
Old 04-21-2007, 02:12 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Gone4Good's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5,381
Re: Anyone really worried? I am...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone6
Some very good points. What concerns me most is the fact that 70% of the US economy is consumer spending - and virtually no one argues that the US consumer is either tapped out or nearly tapped out. Personal debt is at an all-time high, and the savings rate is now negative for the first time since the depression. If it is true that the American consumer at some stage can't get access to any more capital, and spending drops significantly, what would be the result?

One other thing to consider is this...take a look at the chart. (If a simpleton like me can figure out how to get it onto this page...) Notice the huge market gains from 1955-1985. Then we get exponential growth (granted, with a large pullpack following 2000 - when your S&P pullback occured). But then the exponential growth started again - mostly on the backs of the American consumer.

Nothing grows exponentially indefinetly. I'm not anti-market...I just believe this market is overvalued - world-wide, through a giant influx of cheap capital courtesy of the FED. The old axiom is to buy low and sell high. I think buying equities at this time is buying high - too high for my tastes.
1) Personal debt is at an all-time high but so is personal net worth. As long as folks are wealthier, they can keep spending. Real personal income growth is also starting to accelerate, so let the good times roll.
2) The world economy is increasingly less dependent on the US for growth, and thus less dependent on the US consumer.
3) Never before have individual investors had the current flexibility to invest internationally. Today there is no reason for ones portfolio to be solely dependent on the US economy. With large swatches of the world's population (notably China & India) embracing greater economic freedom and capitalism, the outlook for world economic growth has perhaps never been better.

To your chart, I think you will see a similar pattern if you graph the stock market over any time period. The fact is that the market has averaged 10% compound growth for well over 100 years. Every time frame will show the same 10% compounding growth and produce a chart similar to the one you posted. If you view the Log of the same chart (see below) you will see the growth rate has been pretty consistent over the whole period.

That compounding does not make the market "overvalued". The S&P 500 currently trades at something like 17x PE multiple, which is pretty consistent with historical averages - and actually undervalued at today's interest rates. The 30-year treasury bond trades at a 21x "PE" multiple, for example.


__________________
Retired early, traveling perpetually.
Gone4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Anyone really worried? I am...
Old 04-21-2007, 02:17 PM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,386
Re: Anyone really worried? I am...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone6
Nothing grows exponentially indefinetly. I'm not anti-market...I just believe this market is overvalued - world-wide, through a giant influx of cheap capital courtesy of the FED. The old axiom is to buy low and sell high. I think buying equities at this time is buying high - too high for my tastes.
Hey, don't try to convince a buy and hold asset allocator that the market is too high to buy and hold. For them, that is not a meaningful statement.

Just sell your unwanted shares to them and be happy.

Ha

__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Anyone really worried? I am...
Old 04-21-2007, 03:28 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 98
Re: Anyone really worried? I am...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Yrs to Go
1) Personal debt is at an all-time high but so is personal net worth. As long as folks are wealthier, they can keep spending. Real personal income growth is also starting to accelerate, so let the good times roll.
First, let me say thats its nice to have a civilized discussion without any name calling. I sure don't pretend to be an expert on these things, and like hearing the opposite point of view to help me make sure I'm not missing some important counterpoints.

As to your point 1 - agreed. It appears wages are finally starting to grow, and the job market appears robust. But are the wage increases enough to offset the housing woes we are just starting to see?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Yrs to Go
2) The world economy is increasingly less dependent on the US for growth, and thus less dependent on the US consumer.
Here I have to disagree. You're not telling me that Japan and China (all of Asia, really) aren't virtually completely dependent on US consumption are you? They are export economies - with the caveat that the Japanese are finally starting to spend some of their yen domestically...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Yrs to Go
3) Never before have individual investors had the current flexibility to invest internationally. Today there is no reason for ones portfolio to be solely dependent on the US economy. With large swatches of the world's population (notably China & India) embracing greater economic freedom and capitalism, the outlook for world economic growth has perhaps never been better.
I think you've seen a lot of that growth - at least when it comes to the markets. Look at the levels of all the worlds markets - Singapore, China, Hong Kong, Korea, New Zealand, Australia, India all at or right at all-time highs - Germany, France and England approaching all-time highs. Lots of available money (excess?) looking for a home...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Yrs to Go
To your chart, I think you will see a similar pattern if you graph the stock market over any time period. The fact is that the market has averaged 10% compound growth for well over 100 years. Every time frame will show the same 10% compounding growth and produce a chart similar to the one you posted. If you view the Log of the same chart (see below) you will see the growth rate has been pretty consistent over the whole period.

That compounding does not make the market "overvalued". The S&P 500 currently trades at something like 17x PE multiple, which is pretty consistent with historical averages - and actually undervalued at today's interest rates. The 30-year treasury bond trades at a 21x "PE" multiple, for example.
There is no question the market has had a huge run since the mid 80s - and particularly since the early 90s. That run has helped move the "expected long-term return" significantly higher. I don't know of a place to give a return from 1877-1985, but I'd bet a crisp c-note that its quite a bit lower than from 1985-2007. And as for the P/E - you are right. It is not out of whack (I saw a # of about 18x) with regards to the S&P 500 average of about 15. But that has been because of recent record earnings - if earnings begin to erode, the P/Es will follow.

And don't forget that at the end of nasty bear markets, P/Es are usually somewhat below 10. That would imply, if a significant slowdown is coming, that the S&P would have quite a long ways to come down.

Again, I'm no expert here, just seems to me that things are out of balance and that markets do eventually come to balance...sometimes painfully.

__________________
cyclone6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Anyone really worried? I am...
Old 04-21-2007, 04:36 PM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
clifp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,451
Re: Anyone really worried? I am...

I am not smart enough to figure out which metrics are important for evaluating the market. I don't think the market is overvalued simply because news of the market hit records is barely menitioned on the news and people aren't talking about the stock market a lot.
__________________
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Anyone really worried? I am...
Old 04-21-2007, 06:54 PM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Re: Anyone really worried? I am...

And what about the piglet to sodomizer ratio?
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Anyone really worried? I am...
Old 04-21-2007, 07:00 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 105
Re: Anyone really worried? I am...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
And what about the piglet to sodomizer ratio?
Just when a civil, intelligent discourse gets underway, jackass will jump and bray.
__________________
alphabet soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Anyone really worried? I am...
Old 04-21-2007, 07:00 PM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Re: Anyone really worried? I am...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphabet soup
Just when a civil, intelligent discourse gets underway, jackass will jump and bray.
Be careful, or you will provoke another flurry of moderator edits. [moderator edit].
__________________

__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I be worried? Worried in FL Hi, I am... 2 05-21-2006 06:54 PM
Is anyone worried about the state of this country? ShokWaveRider Life after FIRE 159 04-08-2006 04:34 PM
Treasury Bond Auction - Worried? F-One FIRE and Money 5 02-24-2006 06:27 PM
depression?? now i am getting a bit worried wstu32 FIRE and Money 12 12-15-2005 08:22 PM
Worried about over-contributing to 401k & Roth? soupcxan Young Dreamers 29 09-25-2004 04:25 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:20 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.