Anyone relocate out of US (South America?) to facilitate ER?

Pilot2013

Full time employment: Posting here.
Recently started getting an International Living Newsletter and just wondered if anyone chose this route.

We did, in Caracas, but it didn't work out for us. Now our primary residence is in the US. We would consider moving back, but under different circumstances. We've also discussed Panama, but so far it's more of a passing thought.

As we age, we're finding the US to be a very comfortable place to live. South America, as I know it, is not ideal for the aged.

I suscribe to IL and flirt with the idea. As I get older, the option of a getaway country with possibly a condo seems more realistic.

We did, in Caracas, but it didn't work out for us. Now our primary residence is in the US. We would consider moving back, but under different circumstances. We've also discussed Panama, but so far it's more of a passing thought.

As we age, we're finding the US to be a very comfortable place to live. South America, as I know it, is not ideal for the aged.

I wondered how "friendly" it actually is. We know a couple in Belize, but they are actually living there and working as their jobs allow that kind of thing.

I suscribe to IL and flirt with the idea. As I get older, the option of a getaway country with possibly a condo seems more realistic.

I was kind of thinking something similar might work. Not sure about the rules, but maybe a part time in the US kind of thing?

Several Americans have sold off everything and bought in PV MX. But a few are also selling off in Mexico and moving back. I think it is driven by Medicare.

I did (Miraflores,Lima Peru) but it had nothing to do with International Lying magazine. Amazing prices on Oceanfront R.E.,world class HC and low insurance rates, top cuisine,and of course my beautiful young wife, did it for me!

Unfortunately, R.E tripled, have not needed HC, Insurance rates are rising as I get older, We have a cook and my beautiful young wife is 13 years older now.;)

should add lack of weather and flying bugs.

Last edited:
So is it getting too expensive and you are coming back here? How do you like it there?

We met lots of Americans in Costa Rica who had moved there for one reason or another. Same with Thailand. Most we spoke to said it was where they wanted to be and the costs were in line with their budget...especially so the folks we met in Costa Rica.

So is it getting too expensive and you are coming back here? How do you like it there?

No, I was making a joke, Life is great here (BIG city Beach type), I bought when it was cheap and undiscovered. Servants are still inexpensive, food is unadulterated, climate is great for me (2 seasons its either 60 or 75),no bugs and I love the young wife (even though,she is 35 now). The new people moving down here are finding it more expensive than they imagined. Although the strength of the US Dollar this past year has mitigated the cost of everything but Cars and Real Estate.

I stayed in Colombia for a while around 2009 and 2010, although never for more than 5 months at a time. Cost-wise it was not really much cheaper than the USA due to an unfavorable exchange rate. Apparently that has changed dramatically now with about a 50% Peso weakening against the dollar since I left. Brazil had the same issues where it was irrationally expensive and now it has gotten cheap.

After living in four different countries outside of the USA, one thing that is important to me is a community of other expats. It is one of the best features of my current home in the Philippines and it was sorely lacking in Colombia.

I am right now in Europe in my home town in my vacation cottage in UNESCO Heritage location.

It is nice but I can not imagine moving here :) It must be even harder to move to unknown country. Snow birding around the world with permanent base in US looks like a better deal if one can afford it. (Taxes, Medicare, family)

Recently started getting an International Living Newsletter and just wondered if anyone chose this route.
I did. I am. There are a number of threads in the 'Life After FIRE' on the subject.

You didn't ask, but I gotta say my $0.02 worth. Run, don't walk, away from International Living, or any expat info site that's selling something. Their information on the 2 countries where I've lived is ridiculously inaccurate. The worst sites, of course, are merely feeders to real estate businesses. Avoid moderated expat forums, because on (many? most? all? of) those, standing in the middle of 10 well used outhouses smells like a rose garden.

I did. I am. There are a number of threads in the 'Life After FIRE' on the subject.

You didn't ask, but I gotta say my $0.02 worth. Run, don't walk, away from International Living, or any expat info site that's selling something. Their information on the 2 countries where I've lived is ridiculously inaccurate. The worst sites, of course, are merely feeders to real estate businesses. Avoid moderated expat forums, because on (many? most? all? of) those, standing in the middle of 10 well used outhouses smells like a rose garden.

Thanks. I noticed someone else put "International Lying" magazine. Wasn't sure if typo or subliminal.... :)

One of the most objectionable things about IL is they neglect to mention that many of the great places they tout will not let an American stay more than 6 months, much less retire there.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I've looked at it and do want to experience living in Latin America during FIRE, but for cultural reasons as much as financial, and to escape Midwestern winters. The international threads on this forum make it pretty apparent that, once again, one gets what one pays for, i.e. there are reasons for the lower cost of living in many countries compared to the U.S. We visited some dear friends last year in Nicaragua at their spectacular home overlooking the Pacific. We also learned how they self-insure it, because they have to, and I saw no modern medical facilities anywhere nearby. I want to visit Costa Rica this winter and I've read good things about Panama aiming to attract retirees. Panama uses the dollar (no exchange rate risk), has modern cities, a hospital run by Johns Hopkins, etc.

Thanks. I noticed someone else put "International Lying" magazine. Wasn't sure if typo or subliminal.... :)

I noted the above comment about International Living and couldn't resist chiming in. I have researched overseas living using various sources including online bulletin boards and Youtube. Upon seeing this thread, I was reminded of a video I'd seen about retirement in Colombia. I have linked to it below.

If you want to skip straight to remarks about the IL site and magazine, start watching at about 5:40 in the video linked below.

I recall once reading in IL various boasts about Honduras being delightful and safe. I later read, on a non-commercial site, that Honduras had the highest homicide rate in the world. That's not only misleading but dangerous.

It's not just IL. Large numbers of web sites are driven by advertising and commercial motives and are not to be trusted. I prefer the peer to peer sites (not unlike what this site does in the investment field) which allow newbies to ask experienced retirees questions about the street-view of life in various places. I've sometimes checked up on various cost-of-living claims by reviewing actual ads for real estate, restaurants, and other services on Craigslist or other advertising sites.

If people keep paying ripoff sites to tell them that one can "live like a king" on $500 a year in various exotic locales, the sites will continue spreading those types of lies.

I've sometimes checked up on various cost-of-living claims by reviewing actual ads for real estate, restaurants, and other services on Craigslist or other advertising sites.

Numbeo works quite well in my experience too. If it's a reasonably popular place and/or biggish city, I found it quite reliable.

I use it as a first stop to get a feel.

If I were interested in this idea, I would definitely consider southern Brazil, excluding São Paulo. I have retired Brazilian friends who grew up there and live there today, and they are very happy.

One of my co-workers, her daughter has been working over seas for the past 10+ years. She teaches at expat schools (elementary school level). Anyway she has been to probably 20 countries so far, probably about half of those for at least 6 months. This year she has been in Bangkok Thailand and she says she likes it the best out of all the places she has been.

That got me interested in looking at Thailand as a possible expat destination. From what I can tell Chang Mai is one of the most popular locations for "digital nomads" (people that work remotely/online to earn western level wages while living in a cheaper country). So that might be a good place to expat.

In so many places, because you are not one of 'them', because you are deemed to be 'rich' (and unlike their own rich people not insulated by gates/guard dogs/guns), you have "Mark" tattooed on your forehead, and will be the first hit as/when situations deteriorate.

In so many places, because you are not one of 'them', because you are deemed to be 'rich' (and unlike their own rich people not insulated by gates/guard dogs/guns), you have "Mark" tattooed on your forehead, and will be the first hit as/when situations deteriorate.

And you will always pay the highest rate instead of the local rate for things and services.

Not relocating per se, but we spend over half the year between France (Paris mostly) and Italy. Do two long term rentals, Spring and Fall. Get the hell out for the tourist season.

What is like to live in Italy? What does it cost you to stay there?

Back
Top Bottom