Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone thankful this year they gave the gov an "interest free loan" in 2008?
Old 03-31-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

What I mean is, is anyone else happy that the government had an interest free loan from them? I ask because although the money I'm getting back for my tax return is just my money that I overpaid them (what I mean by interest free loan), had I had that money all along in 2008 I probably would've invested it into the stock market and lost 30%.

So maybe we should all thank the government for holding our money safely for us?

(BTW this is more of a joke post, but I found it an interesting thought)
schmidtjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2009, 04:24 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, if we get anymore than what is equal to 1 exemption? We Used to increase our Exemptions the following yr..while we were working..

Not sure if you can still get away with that anymore..
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:28 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Aren't I doing that when I buy Treasuries these days?
Gone4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:54 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I thought about revising my 2008 withholding but didn't want to tip off my employer that I was leaving in Aug. So, yes, the gov. saved me from some losses. The refund is equivalent to slightly more than one month's PF withdrawal, so with some frugalities I may be able to come in under 4% in '09, goal is 3.5% which is doable as long as the creek don't rise or the teeth don't abscess. That extra .5% could be a reserve for myself, hopefully with some growth or interest. Now, tell me again, how do we make cash grow?
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:42 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Normally I would not be happy overpaying this much, but my refund will come in handy. Worked on the tax return this afternoon and I will get 4k back on federal and will pay $300 on state. Lowering my 2009 estimates to get closer to a break even point.

But the refund will come in handy for my upcoming Cancun trip. Pay for a few med's this year too.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:42 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

At least the Feds are giving me back the money I overpaid last year.

My state doesn't have the money to refund what I overpaid (yet). From what I gather, state leaders do not feel the need to hurry and send me my refund check because they apparently have more important things to do with money "borrowed" from taxpayers at 0%. They are taking unbelievable liberties with money which doesn't belong to them in the first place IMO.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:47 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

DH and I are getting a pretty good refund this year. Mainly 'cause this was my 1st year FIRE'ed and we hand lots of other changes. Normally, I prefer to owe the biggest amount possible without a penalty so the guvment gives me a loan. Even so, lookin' forward to the refund. We might just go crazy and stimulate the economy
Old 03-31-2009, 06:35 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

refund? 1/4ly payments here and typically a nice stout additional contribution to Truth, Justice and The American Way! each April 15th.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:53 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Our refund was all earned income credit (~5k) ... can't seem to get the feds to pay me any earlier.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:17 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

In this case I was happy since my return was based on two things I could not have planned for, which was expected capital gain distributions not materializing and taking a capital loss late in the year by Tax Loss Harvesting.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:32 AM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtjas View Post
What I mean is, is anyone else happy that the government had an interest free loan from them? I ask because although the money I'm getting back for my tax return is just my money that I overpaid them (what I mean by interest free loan), had I had that money all along in 2008 I probably would've invested it into the stock market and lost 30%.

So maybe we should all thank the government for holding our money safely for us?

(BTW this is more of a joke post, but I found it an interesting thought)
Happy? Yeah. The only thing worse than having a lousy portfolio year would be to have the negative portfolio but still pay taxes.
Kinda like '01 with freefalling NAVS but high distributions.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:56 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

That fact that I got an unexpected $2k back this year, is merely an indication of how much less dividend income I got.

I'd left my witholding calibrated for 2007 - good times.

Of course, I'm doing what any sensible person would do with such a windfall - I'm going to Mexico, baby!! Goodbye, earthly cares; hello, jello shots at Senor Frog's!!

(Just kidding, I'm too old for the Frog's. I'll be drinking spice coffee at Las Palomas on the Malecon.)

- Jack Bogle
Lawrence of Suburbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:37 AM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

$9K Refund this year - due to SS Mulligan and reflects taxes paid on SS benefits from 2004-2007. Usually, I owe between $0 & $50 at tax filing day.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:21 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence of Suburbia View Post
That fact that I got an unexpected $2k back this year, is merely an indication of how much less dividend income I got.

I'd left my witholding calibrated for 2007 - good times.

Of course, I'm doing what any sensible person would do with such a windfall - I'm going to Mexico, baby!! Goodbye, earthly cares; hello, jello shots at Senor Frog's!!

(Just kidding, I'm too old for the Frog's. I'll be drinking spice coffee at Las Palomas on the Malecon.)
Don't drink the water.