Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone upgrade to Quicken 2017?
Old 10-16-2016, 12:45 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Anyone upgrade to Quicken 2017?

Any Quicken users upgrade to Quicken 2017? I am currently using 2014 version. I think that I will lose on line services in April of 2017.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2016, 01:00 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
Any Quicken users upgrade to Quicken 2017? I am currently using 2014 version. I think that I will lose on line services in April of 2017.
I have Quicken 2015 and do not plan to upgrade. What online services will you lose?
littleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleb View Post
I have Quicken 2015 and do not plan to upgrade. What online services will you lose?
Quicken 2016 – Expires on April 30th, 2019.
Quicken 2015 – Expires on April 30th, 2018.
Quicken 2014 – Expires on April 30th, 2017.

Quicken shuts off all online services three years after the software release date. That means key features like online bill pay, downloading bank and other financial data, and uploading your data to quicken.com all stop working on a predetermined date.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Quicken 2016 – Expires on April 30th, 2019.
Quicken 2015 – Expires on April 30th, 2018.
Quicken 2014 – Expires on April 30th, 2017.

Quicken shuts off all online services three years after the software release date. That means key features like online bill pay, downloading bank and other financial data, and uploading your data to quicken.com all stop working on a predetermined date.
Just got the notice from my 2015 copy. The best reason for upgrading that it could come up with was an improved mobile app. Guess I'll have a better reason in another year.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:43 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have been running QW2016 and QW2017 (beta version) for awhile now. Not mush difference, even data file won't be converted to new format during install.

But it's OK if you wish to run the latest and greatest.

Bigger question is - there is no good alternative to QW

(—Charles Bukowski)
wanaberetiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:45 PM   #6

I run Quicken Rental Property manager 2016. I will likely upgrade as I do not want to be in the position where I cannot upgrade. Every two years at the most I upgrade, but typically every year.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:55 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanaberetiree View Post
I have been running QW2016 and QW2017 (beta version) for awhile now. Not mush difference, even data file won't be converted to new format during install.

But it's OK if you wish to run the latest and greatest.

Bigger question is - there is no good alternative to QW
This has come up many times on the Bogleheads site and most people state there is not a good alternative available.

Quicken is a good financial program when everything works correctly. The problem I have is reconciling bank accounts. I have spent hours trying to balance and find some of the strangest errors. Quicken will not transmit certain deposits and I have to go line by line to find the error. Many times I have found 10-15 deposits and checks that were duplicated by Quicken. No reason for these strange transaction errors. It makes me wonder if all the financial data so many rely on to do their taxes is accurate.

Does anyone know if another company bought Quicken? It was in the news about a year ago that they were selling it off.
littleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:00 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

https://www.quicken.com/about-us/pre...utlines-vision

(—Charles Bukowski)
wanaberetiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleb View Post
This has come up many times on the Bogleheads site and most people state there is not a good alternative available.

I went from MS Money to Quicken to Moneydance.

Moneydance has been a good enough alternative for me. I'm glad to be gone from Quicken and forced upgrades. Moneydance has its own set of quirks, but having used three different personal finance apps, they all have their quirks. On the plus side, the few issues I've had with Moneydance I was able to get resolved through their support.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:41 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One of the best features of Quicken I have discovered only after retiring. I have virtually all my recurring checking account receipt and disbursement items defined as memorized transactions and the projected balances of my checking account for the next 90 days gives me a good sense of whether I need to do a special transfer from our retirement cash to avoid a the checking account being overwithdrawn. In fact, I have found the Projected Balances feature so handy I have defined it as my Home screen.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:41 AM   #11

I tried it this weekend. Still not able to gather my 401k information directly and the import never seems to work right so I returned it already.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:13 AM   #12

I upgraded from 2014 Premier to 2017 Premier over the weekend. Download and installation was a snap, and it automatically backed up and upgraded my data. The new mobile app is more capable and while it still isn't Quicken in your pocket, it's a step in the right direction IMO. Reviews talked about a "new interface" but so far the biggest thing I've seen is new fonts and colors.

I'll be digging deeper soon, and I'll post anything that goes wrong. So far, so good.

OH, and at the moment the Quicken website was cheaper than Amazon, etc. Always a good idea to keep an eye on that, as prices have fluctuated with the season in the past.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:06 AM   #13

If you're going to upgrade my suggestion would be to shop for the best price over the next few months but wait until close to the April cutoff date before installing the update. Quicken has been known to be buggy with their new releases, let someone else work the bugs out of it.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:53 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

We're still using quicken 2006. Yes, we have to enter everything manually, but it's not that big of a deal to us. Intuit's extortion methods burned a bridge with us. We'll switch to something else before we ever pay for another version of Quicken (I know it's no longer an Intuit product, but they started it).
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Any specific advantages over the free online money management
Old 10-17-2016, 12:30 PM   #15

Any specific advantages over the free online money management

I've seen a lot of folks reference Quicken so I was wondering if there's a specific advantage to using Quicken over the free online tools like Personal Capital, Mint etc? Of course, if you manage a small business or real estate then Quicken is likely a better tool but for basic portfolio management is there a major difference?

I'm curious because the aforementioned tools have their own quirks as they aggregate the data from various sources; nothing major as long as you know how to get around them but I was curious if switching to Quicken would be a significant advantage.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:54 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Wondered about any feedback specifically on Quicken 2017 (not prior versions). Also, one question. First the question:

1. Can I manually download transactions? For example, with YNAB4, I go to American Express and can download a Quicken format file. I like doing that. I did use Quicken a few years ago and I know I could put in my login info and automatically download stuff. But, I don't want to do that as I know some financial institutions say that if you do that then they aren't responsible for any loss of funds in your account (that is, I seem to recall some saying that and I don't want to take a chance).

Now about Quicken 2017. I know that this is the first year with the new owners and they completed the sale recently enough that I understand they didn't really have much opportunity to do anything new.

The negative I've seen on Amazon reviews is that 2017 is very slow and renders very slowly. Also, that it can't be resized for different monitors. Also, many reports of crashes and some say it is very buggy. But, the overall review is a 4 average.

I did use Quicken 2014 awhile back. I liked it OK, but the mobile version suddenly quit working properly and I couldn't download bank transactions properly and it suddenly quit letting me attach images of receipts (something I loved) so I quit using it.

Instead I stayed with YNAB. I liked YNAB (although I liked some features Quicken had that YNAB didn't). But, when nYNAB came out I tried it and didn't like it. It wasn't that it was cloud based or subscription based. I could deal with both of those. What I didn't like was that it had much reduced functionality compared to YNAB4. So, I just kept using YNAB4. But, they are not going to support it officially after this year so I am getting a little antsy using it.

I know I will need to jump to something else. I can maybe hold off another year. But, I could also jump at the end of this year. I have looked at alternatives and think Quicken Deluxe will end up being the best option. The question is whether to do it now or whether to wait another year.

I'm leaning to jumping to it now, but was concerned about the reports of slowness and it being very buggy. For those using it (again, only the 2017 version) what have you found?
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:07 AM   #17

Quote:

I use the 2014 version of Quicken but I stopped downloading financial transactions because I didn't want to share my passwords. I manually enter the data at month end which is time consuming but safer in my opinion.

Downloading quotes is the only feature I still use. Will this feature go away in April?
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 03:18 AM   #18

I upgraded to Quicken 2017 a couple of weeks ago, from Quicken 2016. It is on R3 now.

I had a few crashes, and it was a bit slow at first. Maybe I am used to the slowness, but I really do not think it is too bad. I think I crashed 3-4 times so far.

It is a different technology now. More web-like, but it is still a fat client application. A few defaults field sizes I had to change in regards to registry size and my screen.

I also downgraded from Quicken Rental Property Manager to just Quicken Home and Business.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:03 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
Wondered about any feedback specifically on Quicken 2017 (not prior versions). Also, one question. First the question:

1. Can I manually download transactions? For example, with YNAB4, I go to American Express and can download a Quicken format file. I like doing that.
If the financial institution offers file download in Quicken format, then yes you can import it into Quicken. That's what it is used for, and other programs just know how to read this format.

I used to do that, then got tired with the process, plus I often forgot. So, I caved in and entered all my passwords. I believe the account info is stored on your computer (the "Password Vault"), and not the "cloud". I could be wrong.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:09 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I upgraded to 2017 last week... I figured since I would have upgraded to 2017 in 2018 why not just do it now. I have not seen any difference in functionality of downloading. No crashes here. Same speed that it was before in my experience.

One slightly annoying difference is that I usually have my Windows taskbar at the top of the screen since I transitioned to Windows from Mac and the 2017 version does not play well with having the taskbar on top... the windows taskbar hides the Quicken menu selections at the top of the Quicken screen, but I have just moved the Windows taskbar to the bottom of the screen.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote