Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Anyone use a Financial Advisor to confirm that you're FI?
Old 03-02-2007, 03:02 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks Martha, that link is especially insightful.

OTOH, I have passed the P.E. (Professional Engineer) exam. That doesn't make me an expert on every topic which you're tested on.

We're all human, I guess. It's good to know what they're (CFPs) are supposed to be familiar with, though.

-CC

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2007, 03:16 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclesters
Well, one example a planner might help you with, is setting up your assets for estate tax efficiency. That is not a DIY topic to be sure. Needs of minor children, use of bypass trusts, etc ....
I went to an estate lawyer to help with this stuff and not a financial advisor.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:19 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCdaCE
I'm on the fence, not disagreeing with you. What would be an example of some minute detail that a planner has caught, which would've been catastrophic. Or, whatever... I need some example.

To me, it's a question of what estimates they use, how "deep" they go into different scenarios, etc. I could've done most of what my "planner" came up with (basically to sell more of his products to me).

-CC
Bottom line, most CFP"s or whomever aren't going to find the "magic bean" for you. One interesting fact I read a number of years ago was something like 85% of folks that have over $10 million in net worth use an advisor.

And that number is more likely due to complex issues requiring FLP's and things like that................

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:33 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!
I went to an estate lawyer to help with this stuff and not a financial advisor.
My firm's estate planning department employed a CFP for a while to work with clients. The lawyers did most of the tax planning or at least would review the planner's recommendations.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:48 PM   #25

Oh gawd, let me say that the CFP's job (according to the CFP Board of Standards) is to play quarterback for the planning "team", which can be composed of a CPA, estate lawyer, etc and SHOULD NOT be practicing law without a license.
....um yeah, that is on the bone-crushing CFP exam I'm studying for....along with an inexhaustible supply of ethics rules.

Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:51 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

You know, I really have no good idea what is and is not practicing law. Other than going to court for someone.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 04:02 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I talked to a financial planner/accountant once and he drew up a fancy spreadsheet to show how we could retire. He never once asked about expenses, specifically the big expense of health insurance. Not very helpful.
That was my experience also. When I looked back at it a few years later, I realized just how bad it was. He did have us list expenses, but it was really weak, he didn't question or analyze any of the numbers. Like Martha, no ques about health insurance (!!!). Since I filled in a _zero_ for car payments - that was that, zero! Hmmm, don't I need to allocate some cash to buy my replacement vehicles?

The company was picking up the tab as a benefit. Since I had to pay taxes on this 'benefit', I felt that I got ripped off. Lots of fancy graphs though. Oh, I just checked, the guy did have 'CFP' after his name.

I'm sure there are some good planners out there, but like picking a good stock, I don't know how to tell ahead of time if they are good or not.

Bottom line, get a handle on your expenses, think about any future expenses, and FIRECALC away. Ask questions here, the best and most trusted feedback I've received is right here on this forum.

-ERD50
Old 03-02-2007, 04:07 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I haven't used a financial adviser to confirm I'm FI (since I'm not yet FI), but I have used one to plan my investments. She's my soon-to-be wife.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:27 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I consulted one (Raymond James I think) back about 4 years ago. My main concern then was risks and responsibilities of getting married. Since then, I have decided to not marry the woman in question (debt, health, income isssues!!!) and avoid a lot of potential problems.

In general, while I'm sure there are good advisors out there, I think the problem is the "small guy" can't afford the advice, or may not even go for it.

In my case, I could have used a sounding board for potentially helpful advice for such things as major investments or tax decisions. Here are some real-world examples from my past life:

1. Sold two different homes after living in them for LESS than two years. So I paid tax on the capital gains (although not great, due to mortgage and improvement expenses.) Point: a planner might have run the numbers, and advised me to stay in the home a few months longer.

2. Cashed out an IRA because I was paranoid. Again, a planner might have given the rest of the story before I did something irreversible.

3. Bought an expensive toy (sports car) in 2004. Sold it, greatly depreciated, to resuce my budget, two years later. Dumb, dumb dumb.

Old 03-03-2007, 02:01 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclesters
Oh gawd, let me say that the CFP's job (according to the CFP Board of Standards) is to play quarterback for the planning "team", which can be composed of a CPA, estate lawyer, etc and SHOULD NOT be practicing law without a license.
....um yeah, that is on the bone-crushing CFP exam I'm studying for....along with an inexhaustible supply of ethics rules. Sarah
I've never practiced law..............and estate attorneys probably wouldn't make good advis ors either................

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote