Anyone use Hartford Auto Insurance thru AARP?

supersonic

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi all-

First post. Have been retired for 2 months now! Have been lurking on these forums for a couple of years.

I searched but could not find anything on point regarding my auto insurance question.

We have what we think is pretty expensive coverage from our current auto insurer, AAA. We got a pretty good online quote from Hartford, through the AARP website, for the same coverage that we now get from AAA. We have always liked AAA's service, customer focus, etc. But the Hartford quote looks pretty enticing.

My question is for anyone who is using or has used Hartford insurance: How has your experience been with them in terms of customer service, helping you with claims, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I have had Hartford insurance for about 7 years and have Auto, Home and an Umbrella policy. Their customer service has been great however I have not had a claim so can not speak to that.

I have moved twice since starting my policies and had no problems with any changes or communications with them. I pay online on their site with my credit card too, so no mailing of checks and I get cc points.

I have been using AARP/Hartford for eight years. I have both my home and car with them. I have used the customer service line to get extra discounts. Look into the on-line AARP driver safety course. I called them two years ago when I FIRE'd to get another discount. I have the disappearing deductible. My only claim was for a new roof. I have been very satisfied.

I had Hartford auto and home for almost 6 years. We had a huge hailstorm that damaged 1 vehicle and pelted the roof of our house enough it need to be replaced. 1 year later Hartford decided they didn't want to renew our policies so we had to shop for other companies.

My father-in-law just moved down here to be near his daughter, and he had Allstate -- they quoted him more than double what he had been paying, over $900 for 6 months (with a good driving record and a beat up old truck). He ditched them and went this route earlier this week, and for the same coverage was quoted $390 for the same time period. I know underwriting rules differ by insurer, but *this* much? Odd.

I've had Hartford through AARP for six years . Great customer service !
+1; have had Hartford AARP for a number of years, great service and price for Auto, Homeowners and Umbrella. Had a windstorm claim on home and their service was great, adjuster did full inspection and found some roof damage that couldn't be seen from ground.

We've been in and out of Hartford/AARP home and auto policies over the years. No claims or problems with them, but they have raised our annual premiums enough to keep us shopping around and moving along. They also have the lowest minimum mileage rate (7.5k - most others allow up to 12k for best rate). Their home rate had the highest % contents insurance. If you wish to lower it to a reasonable amount they will not provide replacement coverage (a real gotcha to be aware of). Did the change again a year ago as they went up considerably (Illinois in general per AARP). This time actually found separate policies for home and auto cheaper than any bundling quotes (and pretty much at the previous AARP rates). Found that those offering bundling quotes were not favorable in both areas (go figure). When insurance companies say that you can save $$ by switching to them - guess they have to find those initial savings somewhere (current policyholders). Hate it, but shopping around annually appears to be the norm with auto/home insurance for us. Will renew in a month and so far the renewal home quote from last year's insurer is about the same (Farmers). Hopefully the auto insurer (Geico) will also be comparable.

Last edited:
we ditched them years ago . they offer low teaser rates but eventually we found tjhe rates were higher then most others . the group you are in with them is also a lot of elderly making it a higher risk group

we ditched them years ago . they offer low teaser rates but eventually we found the rates were higher then most others .

That was my experience also, first year was a good rate but big increases the next year, even with no claims.

thanks to all

Thanks everyone for your replies!

We switched from AAA to AARP/Hartford, in part based on the good responses here. In addition, the customer service so far in setting up the policies was very good with Hartford.

But the big reason was the huge savings we got relative to the AAA quote.

Thanks!

The rates quoted me in the past on the AARP/Hartford plan were about standard--not high and not low. I would think the company's administration is okay, however.

But I've found most insurance companies offer teaser rates, and then increase rates about 15% per year. Increases can be really bad on homeowners' insurance. Look up 3-4 years later and you're paying premiums on a house insured for 50% more than the house is worth. But if your house burned and you chose to take the money, they won't pay you what you've been paying premiums on--much much less $.

I've got one house and 2 cars with State Farm--pretty expensive and I don't care for their 6 month policies. They appear to be well administered, however.

I've got two houses and 2 cars with Allstate--much, much cheaper than State Farm and they went up 5.5% on the first renewal because our state allowed rate increases.

My newest and largest house is with Essurance--an Allstate company. Their homeowners rates were half that of others. And they were very careful in underwriting--checking my drivers' record and of course past homeowners' claims. They appear obsessive about comprehensive coverage on roofs--and had my house closely inspected.

Back
Top Bottom