Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 02:14 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
I also have no idea what my grandparents were thinking we would live off of down there, since there's nothing on the property but a logging road, and a bullet-ridden '59 Edsel. They had a pickup truck with a camper...guess they figured we would've toughed it out in that or something.
Euell Gibbons would have figured it out

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2014, 02:50 PM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.

I remember Euell Gibbons. He died at age 64 from natural causes. (Actually, it was from Marfan Syndrome.)
Old 03-04-2014, 02:56 PM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

CNBC said Putin probably has $100 billion.

Maybe he saw his net worth drop to $95 billion on Monday and decided to pull back Tuesday.

There aren't too many ways to spend $100 billion in Russia and he's not exactly a young guy.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:05 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
The part that nobody ever thought out though, is that if something like that happened, the roads EVERYWHERE would be jam-packed with traffic.
I know, I laugh whenever I hear that "We'll just head for the hills!" The DC area traffic comes to a standstill every Friday afternoon ~3:00 PM before a long weekend. They think it's going to be better if everyone in DC wants out at the same time?
Old 03-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #85

Looks like Pootin's move backfired as Russia's stock and ruble took enormous beating.

Markets punish Putin over intervention in Ukraine

I am more worried about North Korea's future moves. Unlike Russian Oligarchs, they got nothing valuable to lose to start something stupid.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:41 PM   #86

Al - this is NOT Russia vs the US. Only in Obama's mind, perhaps. To believe such is arrogance on the part of the US. I doubt Putin gives one fig about Obama, or America, who only represents 2% of Russia's trade interest. US has neither the leverage nor the influence it had in the Cold War era. Of course, if it makes Obama look bad, I doubt Putin will lose any sleep lol.

Germany has the biggest financial ties with Russia, and Merkel's been keeping her mouth shut and working behind the scenes - would be nice if I could say the same of our current administration. Empty threats are only reducing our standing in the global community.

As mentioned earlier, the domestic indexes have already recovered and exceeded last weeks numbers. FTSE also rose, but didn't quite make a complete recovery.

There will be no war unless Putin attempts further incursions in Ukraine, and he's too smart for that. He saw a clear opening and took advantage of it. Financially, it hurts no one. Even Ukraine is benefitting financially, getting $1B from the US and looking to another $5B from the EU.

I repeat; no reason to change my financial strategy, which was the OPs original question.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:47 PM   #87

Robnplunder

The market's a fickle mistress - Russia's market recovered over 30% today, and will continue to recover as Putin plays the game. His major export markets are Germany, China (I think - correct me if I'm wrong) and surrounding former satellite nations, and they have nowhere else to turn to.

Putin is not in a tough position here. It's the EU and US which are stymied - listen to the analysts.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:56 PM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
Which crystal ball did you use?

The one that was correct
Old 03-04-2014, 09:58 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

So, my stock positions gained 1.71% today all together, while my MF's went up 1.42%, and of course my 25% cash is unchanged. That made the total portfolio gain of 1.19%. These numbers compare well with the S&P gain of 1.53%, though I am not an indexer.

Doing nothing about this current event, I got a new personal high water mark. But as the danger of an asteroid strike keeps getting mentioned on this forum, has anyone seen the newest alert? It might make you think about increasing your WR.

See Asteroid passing Earth will be closer than moon.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-04-2014, 10:56 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Doing nothing about this current event, I got a new personal high water mark. But as the danger of an asteroid strike keeps getting mentioned on this forum, has anyone seen the newest alert? It might make you think about increasing your WR.

That's it. Damn ER. I am cashing everything in. Human race is doomed.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:22 AM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So, my stock positions gained 1.71% today all together, while my MF's went up 1.42%, and of course my 25% cash is unchanged. That made the total portfolio gain of 1.19%. These numbers compare well with the S&P gain of 1.53%, though I am not an indexer.

Considering it coming TODAY, I don't think anyone has time to increase their WR!
90-foot asteroid doesn't faze astronomers
Old 03-05-2014, 06:37 AM   #92
Administrator

Quote:
But as the danger of an asteroid strike keeps getting mentioned on this forum, has anyone seen the newest alert? It might make you think about increasing your WR.

No problemo. We got some extra-special umbrellas last week at Seaworld, and the folks there told us they are "very strong and resistant". Given the price, they better be.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
Old 03-05-2014, 07:21 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

I really liked how the USA Today Article mentioned that the astronomers weren't "heading for the hills" with the news of the asteroid close pass. I'm thinking - "heading to the hills? That would do any good in an asteroid strike? LOL!
Old 03-05-2014, 07:36 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I really liked how the USA Today Article mentioned that the astronomers weren't "heading for the hills" with the news of the asteroid close pass. I'm thinking - "heading to the hills? That would do any good in an asteroid strike? LOL!
The telescopes are generally at the top of a big mountain, so technically at least some of the astronomers are already on the 'hills'

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
Old 03-05-2014, 07:47 AM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
The telescopes are generally at the top of a big mountain, so technically at least some of the astronomers are already on the 'hills'
That too!LOL!
Old 03-05-2014, 12:37 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Ukrainian-Russian Tensions Dividing U.S. Citizens Along Ignorant, Apathetic Lines | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

WASHINGTON—According to a poll released Monday by the Pew Research Center, the escalating conflict between Russia and Ukraine has left Americans sharply and bitterly divided along ignorant and apathetic lines, with the nation’s citizenry evenly split between grossly misinformed and wholly indifferent factions.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:53 PM   #97
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Ukrainian-Russian Tensions Dividing U.S. Citizens Along Ignorant, Apathetic Lines | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

WASHINGTON—According to a poll released Monday by the Pew Research Center, the escalating conflict between Russia and Ukraine has left Americans sharply and bitterly divided along ignorant and apathetic lines, with the nation’s citizenry evenly split between grossly misinformed and wholly indifferent factions.
I thought The Onion only wrote satire, this looks almost true.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
Old 03-05-2014, 01:07 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
Does that mean that they will feel the impact before everyone else?
Old 03-05-2014, 01:30 PM   #99
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
Well said.
Even Russia's conventional forces are plenty potent enough to screw over the world- or at least many important parts of it.
time to re-start the F22 program.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:45 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

"Citizen, I don't get what the problem is. Is it due to ignorance or apathy?"

"I don't know, and I don't care"