Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 03:31 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A once powerful nation with a population feeling persecuted by the rest of the world. They are in economic hard times. The public longs for a return to the glory days. A strong leader comes to power, brings order, throws his enemies in jail, has a showcase Olympic games for the rest of the world to see, and invades a neighbor citing the historical cultural ties to the region.

Nope, no reason for the US to worry. What could go wrong? "Let those guys over there handle their own problems."
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2014, 05:13 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
A once powerful nation with a population feeling persecuted by the rest of the world. The are in economic hard times. The public longs for a return to the glory days. A strong leader comes to power, brings order, throws his enemies in jail, has a showcase Olympic games for the rest of the world to see, and invades a neighbor citing the historical cultural ties to the region.

Nope, no reason for the US to worry. What could go wrong? "Let those guys over there handle their own problems."

Humm,, I think I've heard this play before. Was it Alexander the Great
Anyone worried about the Ukrainian situation?
Old 03-06-2014, 12:18 PM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Anyone worried about the Ukrainian situation?

When it comes down it, Europe WILL have to handle its own problems. US may impose sanctions, but we have very limited trade with Russia. Russia is the EUs third largest trading partner; after US and China. US is calling for sanctions and Europe's hem-hawing. Sanctions would be almost as painful to them as it would to Russia. Ukraine's temporary government's going to get a lot of money, but that won't help them in their stalemate against Russia. If the Crimean referendum sponsored by the Crimean parliament says, 'Go Russian,' Putin's not letting go. No point whining about Putin's actions being opposite than his recent showboating - he's a politician; no worse, no better, but more experienced and craftier. He's also got an impenetrable poker face and steel hangy-down things.

Relating to finance and the OPs question - Europe's not going blast their own economy by putting any significant sanctions against Russia. No point in making drastic investment changes.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:38 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I know, I laugh whenever I hear that "We'll just head for the hills!" The DC area traffic comes to a standstill every Friday afternoon ~3:00 PM before a long weekend. They think it's going to be better if everyone in DC wants out at the same time?
When I was younger and more naive, I used to just think, stick to the back roads. Only problem is, that's what everybody else is going to do. And God forbid something happens like the power going out; you're going to have an accident at every street corner!
Old 03-06-2014, 01:34 PM   #105
Full time employment: Posting here.

No worries. Its just the newest iteration of The Great Game but now with Uke and sans Stan. How did markets do the last time around?
Old 03-06-2014, 02:19 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
When it comes down it, Europe WILL have to handle its own problems.
But they won't, and they can't. They are too divided and selfish to solve something like this on their own. They have proven that repeatedly and countries in trouble looks to "America" to save their day (and blame America for not doing so, or not doing it fast enough).
Old 03-06-2014, 03:45 PM   #107
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, everyone...

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Closed Thread