Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-22-2011, 09:17 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Despite the mild gains in the stock market, I fell slightly below the $1M mark in investment today.

Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2011, 12:18 AM   #42

With the past several weeks and being 100% stocks (yes...still) I am pretty rapidly approaching a milestone from the wrong direction as well.

At 42, I sometimes think about moving to 90/10 or 80/20, but when stocks are going up, I don't want to, and when stocks have just gone down, I don't want to. Hmm.

2Cor521

"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:20 PM   #43

With the recent stock market gains, I have finally broken the $1.1M mark. A considerable runup in bond fund values has also helped a lot because I have a lot of holdings there.

I have some large, infrequent bills coming up in the next few months, starting with a rare credit card bill (for $500) for the new but badly needed PC I bought last month, and continuing with car insurance, health insurance, and income taxes due in the next two months. So I won't be creating much of a cushion/surplus from my monthly/quarterly dividends until April.

Still......it is good to finally hit this mark. I will probably have a similar roller-coaster ride like I had with the $1M mark in 2010 and 2011.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:46 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congrats Scrabbler1!
Old 02-08-2012, 01:26 AM   #45

So, if one has a particular milestone in mind for FI. Suppose it was 1.1 M for FireCalc to give the percent survivable percentage you were shooting for. It seems like in most cases you would "reach" that milestone in a big run-up in the market like we are having now. How much time do you have to wait for the pendulum to possibly swing the other way. Should you wait before deciding that FI has been reached? It would seem like riding a bubble to a milestone is a lot less secure than reaching the same milestone in less frothy times. How do you account for that?
Old 02-08-2012, 05:24 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
So, if one has a particular milestone in mind for FI. Suppose it was 1.1 M for FireCalc to give the percent survivable percentage you were shooting for. It seems like in most cases you would "reach" that milestone in a big run-up in the market like we are having now. How much time do you have to wait for the pendulum to possibly swing the other way. Should you wait before deciding that FI has been reached? It would seem like riding a bubble to a milestone is a lot less secure than reaching the same milestone in less frothy times. How do you account for that?
Rebalance and change your asset allocation. Set aside a couple of years of expenses in cash and bank deposits, and then increase the fixed income allocation. This will help reduce volatility and the cash reserves let you get through sharp market declines without having to sell equities.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:14 AM   #47

Well done scrabbler1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
With the recent stock market gains, I have finally broken the $1.1M mark.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #48

Congratulations, Scrabbler1! My portfolio has risen into uncharted territory as well, with the recent run-up of the stock market. Back in January, it pushed past my previous high of $679K, set on July 7, 2011. Which, ironically, was the 16th anniversary of an event that damn near bankrupted me...my wedding anniversary!

Just popped the $700K mark on Friday, February the third. Sold off a little, to lock in the gains, but now with my luck, watch the market skyrocket from here! :-)
Old 01-24-2013, 11:53 PM   #49

With recent stock market gains, I am now a little closer to the $1.2M mark than I am to the $1,1M mark. Anyone else here hitting new milestones? I believe there have been a few threads about this lately.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:46 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Anyone else here hitting new milestones?
I am within $2,000 of a very important -to me- personal milestone.

Jointly with DW, we are within $100k of the next big milestone and hope to get there by year end.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:36 AM   #51

Quote:
With recent stock market gains, I am now a little closer to the $1.2M mark than I am to the $1,1M mark. Anyone else here hitting new milestones? I believe there have been a few threads about this lately.
I will know after the first of the month, when we check it...but yep...expecting to be nearing our next big milestone as well. Feels so good.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #52

Quote:

Congrats Scrabbler1.... it's a great feeling to reach the next milestone! I know I'm pretty much at a new net worth high, but need to figure out where the new high is in equity, real estate investment, and or combination. I moved a few things around at the end of the year.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #53

Congrats to scrabbler1 & others hitting their personal milestones.
But it's straight-line run-ups like this that remind me of the old sayin'-
Bulls make $$, Bears make $$, but Pigs get slaughtered
Old 01-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #54

My portfolio is still small enough that I tend to measure milestones in $50K increments. But hey, that's a far cry from when they used to be $10K increments, or even smaller ones!

Anyway, NW broke the $750K barrier at the end of August 2012. And, miraculously, has stayed above it since then. There might have been momentary dips here and there, but just looking at the month-end numbers, which are the only ones I keep, it's stayed above it.

As of yesterday, I came in at 799,882. So, with luck, I'll break $800K today. I did have about $1400 in checks that just cleared today though, so that's going to provide some offset.

It also might take me awhile to hit the next milestone, because I've got some bills coming up. I also swore that, once I hit $800K, I'd try to concentrate on getting the HELOC paid down some. Unfortunately, I think I swore the same thing once I hit $700K. And $600K.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
My portfolio is still small enough that I tend to measure milestones in $50K increments. But hey, that's a far cry from when they used to be $10K increments, or even smaller ones!

Anyway, NW broke the $750K barrier at the end of August 2012. And, miraculously, has stayed above it since then. There might have been momentary dips here and there, but just looking at the month-end numbers, which are the only ones I keep, it's stayed above it.

As of yesterday, I came in at 799,882. So, with luck, I'll break $800K today. I did have about $1400 in checks that just cleared today though, so that's going to provide some offset.

It also might take me awhile to hit the next milestone, because I've got some bills coming up. I also swore that, once I hit $800K, I'd try to concentrate on getting the HELOC paid down some. Unfortunately, I think I swore the same thing once I hit $700K. And $600K.
So, based on your last post here just under a year ago, you are up about $100k since then. Congrats to you on your advanement toward the coveted $1M mark.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Everyday is a new high. But when everything is going up this fast I am waiting for the market to tank. Or, even worse, for someone (not mentioning any names) to interject with her infamous w---eee!!! Opps she just did on another post.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:23 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

I am trying to restrain my irrational exuberance, but I am making great strides towards Reaching $1 million retirement savings by the end of my 50th year. I will turn 49 in 6 days, and at present have $890,000. With the $10 K from my employer over the next 2 years, and the $46 K from me, I only need about 5% from here on out to make my goal.

I do have an itchy finger when it comes to my 401K, and will not hesitate to move it all into the zero interest/zero income fund if I feel the market is correcting. You may not be able to time the market, but if you can avoid 5% of the drop then you are better for it. The dot com bubble taught me that leaving it alone in the face of an oncoming train only enriches the fund managers.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkman View Post
Everyday is a new high. But when everything is going up this fast I am waiting for the market to tank. Or, even worse, for someone (not mentioning any names) to interject with her infamous w---eee!!! Opps she just did on another post.
Stock market does not go up in a straight line, of course it will correct, and probably the correction will occur soon, but no one can predict when a secular market top will occur, or this will be it. I missed a large part of the run up of the market in the Clinton Years because I was worried about the market being over-extended and expensive, and I kept waiting on the sideline for a big correction, which did not happen until almost 2000. No one can be so smart and be able to time the market: buy at the bottom and sell at the top, and get that right all the time. Bogle was never a market timer.

I have no interest in gold and own none, but you can say the price of gold was too high and should correct when it ran up from $600 in 2006 to a thousand in 2009. It did not run out of steam until it reached $1900 in 2011.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #59

Quote:
We hit $1M in mid-September of last year (man did we get drunk that night looking at our mint.com summary) and just hit $1.1M last week which came way faster from $1M than we expected. I'd be surprised if we held onto that $1.1M mark for long, like many others in these forums I've got a "correction coming" feeling.

Hopefully if correction happens it is slow enough that our aggressive savings rate can outpace it and keep us above pointless psychological barriers.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #60
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiuxiu View Post
Hopefully if correction happens it is slow enough that our aggressive savings rate can outpace it and keep us above pointless psychological barriers.
What savings rate? Here, hoping my WR does not outpace the market rise.

So far so good, but the chance, or at least the rate, of setting new highs is getting harder, if one tries to grow his cake while eating it too.