Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Are Hedge funds destroying the economy?
Old 07-23-2008, 09:42 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Are Hedge funds destroying the economy?

Giant hedge funds and their greed and lack of government regulations against such are destroying the market. What should be done to eliminate them? Discuss.....
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2008, 09:46 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nah. They lost mucho money. Well, some may make money, and those are the ones the media talks about. I have read plenty of articles pointing out that the rich who invest with hedge funds would be better off with mutual funds, like us pedestrians.

I don't know if there is published statistics on the total gain/loss of hedge fund industry. It would be interesting.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:48 AM   #3

I think there is much about hedge funds that you are not aware of. Let's see if the brewster will chime in.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:59 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art G View Post
Giant hedge funds and their greed and lack of government regulations against such are destroying the market. What should be done to eliminate them? Discuss.....
Care to elaborate on how they are "destroying the market," and why that means they should be "eliminated?"
Old 07-23-2008, 11:17 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm... hedge funds are 'destroying the market'

HOW

And what about the biggest hedge funds The treasuries of all the countries? What do you think happens when they 'prop up the dollar' or the yen or whatever else they want to prop up?

One thing I always rememeber... there are two sides to every transaction...
Old 07-23-2008, 11:17 AM   #6

Sure, but I'm gonna wait for brewer first.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:17 PM   #7

Fun while you wait:
http://www.crooksandliars.com/2008/0...now-hung-over/

The MBA president says right out: Wall Street should "not try to do all these fancy financial instruments"!

So jes' quit doin' 'em.. take an Alky-Seltzer and git to work!
Old 07-23-2008, 12:45 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Stupid people, government regulations, and greedy corporations are destroying the country. What should be done to eliminate them? Discuss without any facts to back up my assertions....
Old 07-25-2008, 08:23 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Brewer is too smart to get involved in this thread.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 07-25-2008, 12:41 PM   #10

yeah, smart. That's the word I was thinking of.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:43 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Brewer is too smart to get involved in this thread.........
Dunno about smart, but I do have ArtG on ignore.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 07-25-2008, 12:46 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
dunno about smart, but i do have artg on ignore.
:d:d:d:d:d

Old 07-25-2008, 01:45 PM   #13

LOL! Yeah, that's how he knew FD was responding to my post mentioning him. Nice try though. Cover thy tracks.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:51 PM   #14

Hey Art, it still shows you posted just not what you said. Easy for Brewer to see what's going on even with you on ignore.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:58 PM   #15

ok. I guess we won't be getting an answer from him then.
In a nutshell, large hedge funds (or small ones for that matter) are entitled to naked short stock just like a brokerage would. It's very easy to take down a company when you're not so tightly restricted on covering your position. Since there are hedge funds so large that they are able to manipulate an individual company, they can and do potentially destroy the value of that company.
I believe much of the recovery you've seen in bank stocks recently were merely the beginning of covering by these giant hedge funds. Of course, when taking a stock price down, it's not unlikely that others who own the stock have also already dumped their position, thus causing in effect the destruction of an industry.
Hedge funds and the dropping of the uptick rule only served to assist those looking to short stocks. I've yet to find any logical advantage to removing the uptick.
That's it in a nutshell.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:01 PM   #16

What's the old saying Art, buyer beware.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:02 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
What's the old saying Art, buyer beware.
In all things...........

Old 07-26-2008, 07:31 AM   #18

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...refer=fedwatch

Now they want hedge funds to sustain the banks..
I remember writing elsewhere "we are all LTCM now".. this may show the truth of that.

Quote:
The Federal Reserve, looking to spur investment in lenders hit by credit-market losses, is weighing three measures to ease rules for private-equity funds that buy bank stakes, people with knowledge of the deliberations said.

One proposal would permit buyout firms to use ``silo'' funds walled off from their other investments to buy the stakes without subjecting the rest of their holdings to more federal oversight, said the people, who declined to be named because the talks aren't public. Under another scenario, the Fed would let private equity firms exercise more control of banks they invest in. A third plan would encourage firms to team up on bank deals.

The Fed subjects private equity firms to more oversight when they exceed a 9.9 percent voting stake in a bank. If they buy more, they may be deemed to have a ``controlling influence'' and be classified as a bank holding company, which triggers restrictions on non-banking activities and the amount of debt they can take on. To avoid that classification, investors may agree to be passive, which can mean limits on board representation.

The Fed is considering liberalizing the control guidelines, the people with knowledge of the deliberations said. That may allow buyout funds to amass up to 24.9 percent of a bank while also taking a more active role and getting board seats.

Buyout funds typically rely on debt funding to make acquisitions and invest in multiple companies, often in a variety of industries. The firms typically hold numerous stakes in a single fund.

Clubs, Orphans

Under the proposed silo structure, the buyout firm would ``orphan'' the bank investment by limiting its ties to other investments or funds, the people said. This could be done by eliminating any lending or cross-investment among the funds and preventing asset transfers between them, they said.

Another proposed plan would make it easier for a group of private equity firms to invest together in a so-called club deal without triggering bank-holding rules. The firms would collectively buy stakes in a bank and the Fed would agree to treat each firm's investment independently instead of aggregating their holdings to calculate control.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:41 PM   #19

How does causing a decline in a industry's stock prices "destroy" it?

Other than affecting its ability to raise new capital by selling stock, a company's stock price has very little effect on its business. If business is good and the stock is too cheap, its a pretty good bet that someone will buy the stock and push the price up, putting the hedge fund in a world of hurt.

It might even be another hedge fund that does it.

Quote:
Of course, when taking a stock price down, it's not unlikely that others who own the stock have also already dumped their position, thus causing in effect the destruction of an industry.
Hedge funds and the dropping of the uptick rule only served to assist those looking to short stocks. I've yet to find any logical advantage to removing the uptick.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:16 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
How does causing a decline in a industry's stock prices "destroy" it?

Other than affecting its ability to raise new capital by selling stock, a company's stock price has very little effect on its business. If business is good and the stock is too cheap, its a pretty good bet that someone will buy the stock and push the price up, putting the hedge fund in a world of hurt.

It might even be another hedge fund that does it.
Well besides the fact that it's a complete manipulation of the market and causes the average investor to lose confidence in not only the stock market, but the economy as well; taking a stock down to a reasonable price is one thing, but destroying them is another. Let's use FNM as a good example.....do you not think naked shorting of this stock to....oh say....$2 might cause a concern?
These massive hedge funds are making certain people incredibly wealthy at the expense of many, many others.
Assume you own a restaurant and I patronize it every day, but I never pay my check....
Closed Thread