Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Are root canals worth the dental insurance?
Old 09-07-2006, 09:48 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Billy:
Quote:
If you are serious about this, you might consider going to Thailand for this care.
Nords:
Quote:
I second that motion. Spouse was able to find a good dental shop in Bangkok's MBK department store. She was with a Thai friend so she was able to negotiate down from farang to "locals" prices. Even at list price her cosmetic dentistry cost an order of magnitude less than Hawaii.
Yes! And, unlike in the States, dentists in Thailand are everywhere, available without weeks of delay for appointments, and the prices can be negotiated.

Thailand is well known for the quality of dental care they provide.

Quote:
dont forget the price they give you for implants of 1600-2000 from what i see and expeirienced is only the surgeons fee.Your dentist gets a seperate fee for whatever the dentures or seperate screw in teeth you decide on.My surgeon was 13,500.00 for the 4 implants,some bone grafting and anesticia.The rest goes to the regular dentist for the permanent screw in bridge and the removal of a bunch of teeth that had to go.We should come in somewhere bewteen 24-26,000 when the complete lower jaw is done
I understand. ..* Although I will probably have to go this route myself one day, I don't exactly look forward to it..* :P I hope you have quick and (mostly!!) painless healing.

I forgot to mention that 'my' dentist was educated/trained at the University of Maryland. He would be the surgeon as well as the dentist. I trust him.

He has quoted me prices before, and even though I had to return for extra care he did not change his original quote. He's a good man.*

I also have a good dentist here in the States, but I only use him for emergencies.

Some years ago, I was in Calif. doing End of Life Care for my Mother, when a tooth broke that was holding a bridge together (done previously in Mexico -- God, the stories I could tell!)

I call Billy and ask him to make me an appt. in AZ for when I return.

To his credit, the dentist gave me 3 quotes, and the explanations for them. He ended up doing the work needed and the price was $2,000. That was in 1997 dollars.*

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2006, 11:40 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Seems like teeth is the one area where we have much more control over our health than the rest of our body.

Dental insurance is expensive. Not having it inspires us to take as good care of our teeth as we can and get regular checkups and cleanings.

Having heard horror stories of what steps must be taken if you don't take care of your teeth is another incentive!

You still might crack a tooth or some such. Crowns probably can't be avoided.

Audrey

Old 09-07-2006, 11:55 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
Hockey? Roller Derby?
Nothing so glamorous!

Just old teeth with big fillings - they both cracked off at the base, leaving me a piece of filling with no tooth around it. Wish I could post a picture to help clarify.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:16 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
Seems like teeth is the one area where we have much more control over our health than the rest of our body.
I gotta ask -- did those people with problem teeth eat fluoride as a kid?

I did. Not just fluoridated water, but fluoride tablets. Zero cavities. Zero problems. And when I go for a dental checkup, my dentist just oohs and ahs and then tells me not to come back for another year ... or two.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:50 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab

I did. Not just fluoridated water, but fluoride tablets. Zero cavities. Zero problems. And when I go for a dental checkup, my dentist just oohs and ahs and then tells me not to come back for another year ... or two.
Lots of genetics involved, I'm told.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 12:55 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
Nothing so glamorous!

Just old teeth with big fillings - they both cracked off at the base, leaving me a piece of filling with no tooth around it. Wish I could post a picture to help clarify.
I did that once. It didn't even hurt, but there was a sharp edge on the inside.

Called the dentist (Sunday of course) and got an appointment for Monday morning.

A few years ago I cracked a molar, fortunately it only needed a crown and not a root canal. I was going to have him pull it rather than have the root canal and crown.

Never had a root canal.

I dropped dental insurance years ago when I realized there was no way it cost less than paying directly.

I now have 9 gold crowns, 5 silver fillings, and bondo on the top incisors.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:56 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab

No fluoride as a kid. Water here is fluoridated.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:05 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Call it what you will. Since 1988, I've had thousands of root canals. None of which, ever lasted. Sooner or later, the tooth is gonna go bad!

When I got down to 13 teeth, in my whole head, I decided to have them pulled and go with dentures. Did this one terrible day in the oral surgeons office. 90 minutes of supreme torture! Broken pieces of teeth, flying around the place, countless shots of novacaine; stress to the max! Seems like, when you have a root canal, the tissue
surrounding the tooth, turns into concrete. Only way to get it out, is to drill!! That,
ain't easy, if you're the patient!

It was a miracle, the event finally ended and I was able to walk out upright. Only, to find out, the dentures didn't fit, due to swelling. I could stick a pencil, between my top and bottom dentures and couldn't close any further. You can't go out on the street, looking like that, either! Probably, could go to WalMart.

Jesus,-- I'm glad that episode of my life is over! Should have done this, before I needed all the root canals. Dentist, was gonna save all my teeth. Thats what I was told, for ten years. It didn't work.

Old 09-07-2006, 02:27 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance Kid
Call it what you will.* Since 1988, I've had thousands of root canals.* None of which, ever lasted.* Sooner or later, the tooth is gonna go bad!

When I got down to 13 teeth, in my whole head, I decided to have them pulled and go with dentures.* Did this one terrible day in the oral surgeons office.* 90 minutes of supreme torture!* Broken pieces of teeth, flying around the place, countless shots of novacaine; stress to the max!* Seems like, when you have a root canal, the tissue
surrounding the tooth, turns into concrete.* Only way to get it out, is to drill!!* That,
ain't easy, if you're the patient!

It was a miracle, the event finally ended and I was able to walk out upright.* Only, to find out, the dentures didn't fit, due to swelling.* I could stick a pencil, between my top and bottom dentures and couldn't close any further.* You can't go out on the street, looking like that, either!* Probably, could go to WalMart.

Jesus,-- I'm glad that episode of my life is over!* Should have done this, before I needed all the root canals.* Dentist, was gonna save all my teeth.* Thats what I was told, for ten years.* It didn't work.
This is the first post I have ever read here that actually gave me sweaty palms.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:13 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance Kid
Call it what you will. Since 1988, I've had thousands of root canals. None of which, ever lasted. Sooner or later, the tooth is gonna go bad!
Wow - thousands of root canals. Hmmm.. at a mean cost of $800 each, thats at least $1.6 million. It would take a lot to convince me to get my teeth pulled and get dentures but $1,600,00 would be a good starter .

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:55 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

DH & I have dental insurance and while it hasn't been a bargain it has*been break-even.* I did find a very good preferred provider (former Navy dentist with a lot of retired Navy patients).* The major saving, IMHO, is the negotiated contract rate.* The only problem was when I needed a root canal I couldn't find a preferred provider.*

Those of us who grew up drinking soft water before floride usually accumulated a lot of carries, so for us dental insurance may be wise.*

We had Kaiser high-option in Portland, includes dental, when the kids were teens.* Good dentists.* Saved a bundle on wisdom tooth removal.

I learned something interesting as a result of my root canal: fosamax may cause problems with jaw structure.* At the moment it appears that it is associated with cancer treatment, but too soon to tell.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:25 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat

I learned something interesting as a result of my root canal: fosamax may cause problems with jaw structure. At the moment it appears that it is associated with cancer treatment, but too soon to tell.
Not common if there haven't been previous problems with the jaw, Brat. If there is a sound reason to be on it, it wouldn't dissuade me.

Old 09-07-2006, 05:26 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Wow - thousands of root canals. Hmmm.. at a mean cost of $800 each, thats at least $1.6 million. It would take a lot to convince me to get my teeth pulled and get dentures but $1,600,00 would be a good starter .
You shoulda gone to dental school...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 05:47 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not common if there haven't been previous problems with the jaw, Brat. If there is a sound reason to be on it, it wouldn't dissuade me.
I'm keeping my fosamax because my risk of hip fracture late in life is higher than jaw bone problems.* However, any new med is worth tracking carefully.* As the premerin(sp) studies demonstrated, what seems great in theory can have unforseen consequences.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:17 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
You shoulda gone to dental school...
In the words of the late Jack Bennie, "Now you tell me."

Old 09-07-2006, 06:22 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

i should have been a dentist.Actually a gyn/dentist would have been a nice profession for me. Just imagine the creative signs i could have

"UPPERS PULLED AND BOTTOMS FILLED"

WHAT TIME WOULD YOU LIKE AN APPOINTMENT? WHY NOT COME IN AT TOOTH HURTY( 2:30)
Old 09-07-2006, 09:13 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

There are dental discount plans you can get. You can google it and then put in your zip code. Its not great but it means you dont have to negotiate.
There is also the dental school here that gives a better rate but then you get your dental work done by ack students.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:43 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I lied, about the thousands of root canals! Jusr fessing up.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:47 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyrdpd
There are dental discount plans you can get. You can google it and then put in your zip code. Its not great but it means you dont have to negotiate.
There is also the dental school here that gives a better rate but then you get your dental work done by ack students.
I had dental work done for a year by a student (OSU). Three crowns and some minor stuff. Cheap and good but slow. Subsequent dentists have remarked on how well it was done.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:18 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

Rich
Quote:
Lots of genetics involved, I'm told.
I have reason to believe that. We didn't have soda in the house when I grew up, and ate few desserts or junk foods ever. Had Flouride in the water, but still, I went to the dentist regularly and often. I know I had to be the first kid in my school to ever try flossing*

As a kid I used to be angry about it, then embarrassed over that body-part weakness.* * *Now I simply accept it.* *

And wouldn't you know? B has 'perfect' teeth! Almost no cavities at all... Lucky guy...

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement