Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
.....You however, could follow part of the team play plan. When your wife applies for her own benefits at age 66, you can apply for your husband's benefit while delaying your own benefit. If her benefit is $800, you could get $400 at age 66 as her husband. By not taking your $1,800 at 66, you will increase the amount you eventually get at 70 (assuming you delay the maximum).
I don't think team play will work for NYEXPAT since his DW is 29 years younger than he is. When she can apply at 66 he will be 95.

BTW, NYEXPAT your plan really seems to be milking the system for all it is worth + you have a nice young wife to chase you around in your old age. Life sounds good!!!
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I'm curious if the report considers cases of retirees with minor children. It's not a common situation - but I know a few members of this forum collect that. (And it's how I learned about it.)

The AARP calculator does not have any consideration of minor children collecting when their senior parent collects.

We have 2 sons, and my husband turns 62 in just over a year. I've been doing the spreadsheet calculations. He also has lower SS earnings than me.... which is another atypical thing. And we have an age difference (I'm younger.)

Right now it looks like it makes the most sense for him to start collecting at age 62, and have the boys collect (which we'd feed right into their 529's... funding that need.)

Then as they drop off by turning 18/19 - I'm approaching FRA, so I could collect as a spouse. Then I would collect my full benefit at 70.

I'd love to run this past the SSSolutions folks - but don't want to waste $20 if they don't have any consideration for minor children.
I am also interested to know how the report would factor benefits to a disabled dependent in the total SS claim strategy.

I attempted to call SSsolutions but was unable to connect to a live help. I guess they want you to purchase the $149 package that supposedly comes with a session with an expert.....
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I don't think team play will work for NYEXPAT since his DW is 29 years younger than he is. When she can apply at 66 he will be 95.

BTW, NYEXPAT your plan really seems to be milking the system for all it is worth + you have a nice young wife to chase you around in your old age. Life sounds good!!!
grasshopper, thank you for the clarification, as I think about it, it only makes sense.

pb4uski, you are correct "team play" will not work in my case. My plan seems to be the $149.00 plan and you just gave me a good idea!

I remember being in the embassy many years ago and an old codger was trying to get the embassy official to tell his 20 year old girlfriend that she could be assigned his benefits, when he bit the big one.

I have advised other ex-pats on SS and should either start charging for "my plan" as a SS Advocate (need to look into that) or possibly volunteer at the US Embassy because I heard they no longer have a staffer who handles inquires.

With regard to the nice young wife, I am very happy (9/11 was our 9 year anniversary) but a bit confused, as I am the one doing the chasing right now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg salma-hayek-bust.jpg (34.0 KB, 28 views)
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #24

As long as we are comparing.

grasshopper-info0.gif
Old 09-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

If she was in my house I would be doing a whole bunch of chasing!!!
Old 09-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #26

Most folks just sick the cats on us.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
With regard to the nice young wife, I am very happy (9/11 was our 9 year anniversary) but a bit confused, as I am the one doing the chasing right now!
When I click on the image of your wife I see a picture of actress Salma Hayek. Is that who you married?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (34.9 KB, 11 views)
Old 09-12-2012, 10:59 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Yes, but he felt she was inadequate up top so as a wedding present he got her a boob job. You should see her now.

Ha
Old 09-13-2012, 04:27 AM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
It's probably the age. Many in our range see the first glimmers of declining cognitive function and a physical capability.

To help offset this I'm doing a bit more aerobic exercize, DW says lecithin helps with brain function.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
When I click on the image of your wife I see a picture of actress Salma Hayek. Is that who you married?
No, DW is 16 years younger and with a slightly different nose. Other than that she is anatomically correct!
Old 09-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
It's probably the age. Many in our range see the first glimmers of declining cognitive function and a physical capability.

To help offset this I'm doing a bit more aerobic exercize, DW says lecithin helps with brain function.
As your wife is Venezuelan, I am surprised she does not have you taking "Maca"!
My wife makes me a "Maca Shake" (Maca root,bananas,strawberries and orange juice) every morning and I find myself "chasing her" 3-4x a week.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #32
Administrator

Quote:
As your wife is Venezuelan, I am surprised she does not have you taking "Maca"!
My wife makes me a "Maca Shake" (Maca root,bananas,strawberries and orange juice) every morning and I find myself "chasing her" 3-4x a week.
No, our diet includes some dietary and nutritional supplements but no maca root. No running away either. We enjoy each other's company and go everywhere side by side, and often hand in hand.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #33
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
We enjoy each other's company and go everywhere side by side, and often hand in hand.
I still hold my wife's hand when we are out as well - keeps her from shopping
Old 09-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #34
Administrator

Quote:
Excellent strategy.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #35
gone traveling

Quote:
I need to try that.
LakeTravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:23 AM   #36
Confused about dryer sheets

I found the report to be rehashed info from the WSJ and simple calculators. Wasn't very personalized. Totally worthless for me and my family!
Worth2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No, DW is 16 years younger and with a slightly different nose. Other than that she is anatomically correct!
Does she have a sister?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I didn't see anyone here report that they used www.socialsecuritysolutions.com and had a spouse that worked 20+ years under social security and then 15+ years as a teacher which wasn't uder social security. I'd be interested to see if anyone had used the website and what "level" they used to get GPO offset and the windfall provision taken into account.
Bogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Does she have a sister?
Actually, she has 24 y/o identical twin sisters who live with us as well. They just recently finished a 5 year University Nursing program and along with my YW are currently reeking havoc among the doctors at the British-American hospital were they work!

If twins aren't your thing, I also have a 23 y/o Swedish-Peruvian nurse who lives with us as well. I took her in recently and it is a rather sad story that deserves it's own thread.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

So you're living with 4 hotties?