Join Early Retirement Today

Are the reports from www.socialsecuritysolutions.com worth anything?
Old 09-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Are the reports from www.socialsecuritysolutions.com worth anything?

Has anyone here used www.socialsecuritysolutions.com? Supposedly, their program does an analysis of your social security benefits (and those of your spouse) and makes recommendations of how you can max out on benefits. Are their recommendations worth the $20 they cost??

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I used SSSolutions and was pleased with their report. Well worth the $. PM me I would be happy to share the report.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #3

16 total pages of graphs and other info this seems to be the important stuff.

SSS strategy2.jpg
Old 09-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Very interesting grasshopper. I have in the back of my mind to have them do an analysis a year or so before my FRA (DW and I are the same age). Looks to me like it would be worth it.

I take it that in your case that Mrs. G's benefit based on her earnings record exceeds her benefits as your spouse given what they recommended?
Old 09-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Very interesting grasshopper. I have in the back of my mind to have them do an analysis a year or so before my FRA (DW and I are the same age). Looks to me like it would be worth it.

I take it that in your case that Mrs. G's benefit based on her earnings record exceeds her benefits as your spouse given what they recommended?
Yes, I am sorry to say I was a kept man.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

My aunt always told me that it is just as easy to love a rich girl as a poor girl. Unfortunately, I was a poor listener.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Problem is only 1 in 100 are rich
Old 09-11-2012, 09:02 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

1 (in 100) was all I would have needed.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:19 PM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

I contacted them last Friday and as of now haven't heard from them.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:01 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

AARP has a free calculator which also has claiming strategy advice: Social Security Calculator

It'd be interesting to know how this compares to socialsecuritysolutions.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #11

The AARP was close, but a little iffy on what month/dates to take/suspend benefits. Not that you couldn't figure that out for yourself.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

This morning I went ahead and spent the $20 with ss solutions.
I received a 16 page report. Only 4 or 5 pages were important.
Here it is in a nutshell:

I file and suspend benefits based on my earnings record in January 2016 at age 66 and 4 mos, which makes wife eligible for spousal benefits at age 66.
Wife files a restricted application for spousal benefits only in January 2016 at age 66.
I begin benefits based on my earnings record in September 2019 at age 70.
Wife switches to benefits based on her earnings record in January 2020 at age 70.
At my death (estimated October 2034), wife switches to survivor benefits.

This scenario assumes my wife out lives me.
It also included charts, graphs and pie charts.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:23 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceinGa View Post
This morning I went ahead and spent the $20 with ss solutions.
I received a 16 page report. Only 4 or 5 pages were important.
Here it is in a nutshell:

I file and suspend benefits based on my earnings record in January 2016 at age 66 and 4 mos, which makes wife eligible for spousal benefits at age 66.
Wife files a restricted application for spousal benefits only in January 2016 at age 66.
I begin benefits based on my earnings record in September 2019 at age 70.
Wife switches to benefits based on her earnings record in January 2020 at age 70.
At my death (estimated October 2034), wife switches to survivor benefits.

This scenario assumes my wife out lives me.
It also included charts, graphs and pie charts.
I got the same results from the AARP calculator, for me.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #14

I'm curious if the report considers cases of retirees with minor children. It's not a common situation - but I know a few members of this forum collect that. (And it's how I learned about it.)

The AARP calculator does not have any consideration of minor children collecting when their senior parent collects.

We have 2 sons, and my husband turns 62 in just over a year. I've been doing the spreadsheet calculations. He also has lower SS earnings than me.... which is another atypical thing. And we have an age difference (I'm younger.)

Right now it looks like it makes the most sense for him to start collecting at age 62, and have the boys collect (which we'd feed right into their 529's... funding that need.)

Then as they drop off by turning 18/19 - I'm approaching FRA, so I could collect as a spouse. Then I would collect my full benefit at 70.

I'd love to run this past the SSSolutions folks - but don't want to waste $20 if they don't have any consideration for minor children.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
The AARP calculator does not have any consideration of minor children collecting when their senior parent collects.

We have 2 sons, and my husband turns 62 in just over a year. I've been doing the spreadsheet calculations. He also has lower SS earnings than me.... which is another atypical thing. And we have an age difference (I'm younger.)
So how did the lucky boy land you?

Ha
Old 09-12-2012, 11:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
So how did the lucky boy land you?

Ha
He waited a long time.
We were old when we got married. I was 38, he was 47... first marriage for both of us. We popped the first kid out just within a year of getting married - since my bio clock was booming loud.

Plus he was smart enough to marry an engineer. (And I didn't realize before I met him that Architects do not make as much as engineers.)
Old 09-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I got the same results form the AARP calculator, for me.
I had seen the same for me but also a couple other scenarios. In my mind the $20 was worth it.
I was hoping it would include some taxation issues.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I'm curious if the report considers cases of retirees with minor children. It's not a common situation - but I know a few members of this forum collect that. (And it's how I learned about it.)

Right now it looks like it makes the most sense for him to start collecting at age 62, and have the boys collect (which we'd feed right into their 529's... funding that need.)

Then as they drop off by turning 18/19 - I'm approaching FRA, so I could collect as a spouse. Then I would collect my full benefit at 70.

I'd love to run this past the SSSolutions folks - but don't want to waste $20 if they don't have any consideration for minor children.
+1
I am in a similar situation and have 1 other question: Can you file and suspend payments at 62 or only at FRA?

I am almost 59 and wife is 30. When I turn 62 we will have 2 children. Wife is not a resident or citizen and probably will never contribute into the system.

Current plan:

I file at 62 (If I can suspend, will file at 70).

When my first child turns 13-14, we move to the USA for five years and we collect the family maximum.

When 1st child turns 18/19 and goes off to college, My wife and 2nd child collect family maximum until 2nd child turns 16.

When second child turns 18/19 we return to our home in Peru.

When wife turns 67 she files for survivor benefits or collects on my record as my father is 95 and is in excellent health.

Please tell me the questionnaire is much more detailed than the Mickey Mouse AARP one?
Old 09-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #19

The way I understand it you can only file suspend, or file a restricted application at FRA or after.

Social Security - Bogleheads

Spousal benefits: When you reach 66, you can either file or file and suspend. Your wife can then apply for wife's benefits on your record. At 66, she will get half of your PIA (age 66 benefit) if her own PIA is a lesser amount. If your PIA is $1,800 a month and hers is $800, she can get $900 as a wife. If hers is $1,000, she won't get a wife's benefit, but she will get her own $1,000 (this assumes that she starts benefits at 66 - it is possible for her to delay her own benefits while collecting spousal benefits). Since she is still working and replacing some of those zero years, she may well end up with a PIA greater than 1/2 of yours (in spite of your statement that her benefit is about 1/2 of yours, that may not be true after her additional earnings are included in her calculation). You however, could follow part of the team play plan. When your wife applies for her own benefits at age 66, you can apply for your husband's benefit while delaying your own benefit. If her benefit is $800, you could get $400 at age 66 as her husband. By not taking your $1,800 at 66, you will increase the amount you eventually get at 70 (assuming you delay the maximum).
Old 09-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Just went through the AARP calculator. For people with no kids at home, it seems pretty good compared to claiming strategies that I have read elsewhere.