Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-31-2009, 03:19 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The difference is that a horse race will end at some points, while investing is an on-going process. One can never conclude what the winner is, though losers are self-evident (going broke). Hence, the argument goes on forever. And in a race, you can't change or second-guess your initial bet, nor do you ponder how the other guys place their bets.

Darn, it makes life so exciting.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2009, 03:20 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
The difference is that a horse race will end at some points, while investing is an on-going process.
You think you'll live forever?
Old 05-31-2009, 03:23 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

We are going to stray from the original thread discussion, but if we could pinpoint our endpoint, things would be simpler.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 05-31-2009, 03:24 PM   #24

Quote:
We are going to stray from the original thread discussion...
"Going to"?
Old 05-31-2009, 03:48 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poundkey View Post
I follow grains pretty closely, but like Brewer, dont get into the technicals too much. There are probably several charts out there. This is one from yahoo finance.

Thanks
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:43 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Here is the chart I used. Choose the "advanced" tab, input a ticker (SPX for S&P500), time range and the moving averages.
Wall Street Survivor - Advanced Charts

I'm not advocating technical analysis, just trying to find out what people here think about it and plan to do. Thanks for the interesting feedback, everyone.
It seems that the AA strategy is being discussed even in the hardcore believer circles like boggleheads, if just to reafirm it.
I think it is always good to review the basis of our beliefs from time to time. Investing is not a religion (at least so I think), thus shouldn't have dogmas. Everything is up for discussion for the sake of protecting our financial future.
Radiophilejapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:37 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Latvian hookers are apparently still signalling problems, though.
Saw this on Bloomberg . . . great stuff.

The "illicitencounters" site should partner up with CheatNeutral
Gone4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:41 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
if we could pinpoint our endpoint, things would be simpler.
You can always take out "longevity insurance" from Smith & Wesson.
Gone4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:03 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by . . . Yrs to Go View Post
You can always take out "longevity insurance" from Smith & Wesson.
Thanks, but aprčs vous. I said I still like to watch this perpetual horse race.

However, statistically speaking based simply on our age, it is most likely I may cease to be a spectator before you. But then, I have been watching this race longer, so can't say it is not fair.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:23 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Try yahoo finance advanced chart. Here is S&P500 fund for your consideration. You can add three moving averages, and other goodies for technical analysis.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:52 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have heard that in SouthEast Asia, there are some sects that bow to God, Christ, Buddha, Muhammad, and perhaps other divine entities from Hinduism. They want to cover all bases, although these religions' beliefs are somewhat mutually exclusive.
Wow part of my master plan when I turn 70 is to start converting to various religion, in case my current agnostic believe turns out to be wrong. The ultimate soul hedging strategy I call it. I was figuring it would take a minimum of 5 years (I am boycotting Islam). I am very excited to hear that there is a Religious ETF it really simplifies my life and allows me to sin for several more years.

To you have a name or better yet a link to these sects?
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:37 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiophilejapan View Post
I'm not advocating technical analysis, just trying to find out what people here think about it and plan to do.
Investing is not a religion (at least so I think), thus shouldn't have dogmas.
Yes, I have always kept an open mind. So far, I like to do it "My Way".
I've lived a life that's full.
I've traveled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I've had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

French Song "Comme d'habitude" - English Lyrics by Paul Anka
I hope you don't mind some diversions. If it were my thread, I would welcome the exchanges as they attract curious bystanders, and bring more readership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Wow part of my master plan when I turn 70 is to start converting to various religion, in case my current agnostic believe turns out to be wrong. The ultimate soul hedging strategy I call it. I was figuring it would take a minimum of 5 years (I am boycotting Islam). I am very excited to hear that there is a Religious ETF it really simplifies my life and allows me to sin for several more years.

Do you have a name or better yet a link to these sects?
I will check around and do research and provide more info if I get some.

Out of curiosity, how many years do you have left to sin before the repentant age of 70, and what kind of sins are you committing? Living a life on a straight and narrow path, I don't know what I am missing that may be "worthwhile".

About the religious ETF (excellently coined, I might add), I wonder how they provide ranking or weighting to each religion component basis.

How can you exclude anything? In another thread, I was told I missed out on much good stuff by excluding financials in my portfolio.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:37 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Yes, I have always kept an open mind. So far, I like to do it "My Way".
I hope you don't mind some diversions. If it were my thread, I would welcome the exchanges as they attract curious bystanders, and bring more readership.
Nw-bound,
No problem as to some interim diversions - they help add color to the discussions. Or subtract from red hot ones.
You've acquired the right to do it your way - you are a happy ER, and I envy, I mean, respect you for that. I'll get there.
Radiophilejapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:20 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I will check around and do research and provide more info if I get some.

Out of curiosity, how many years do you have left to sin before the repentant age of 70, and what kind of sins are you committing? Living a life on a straight and narrow path, I don't know what I am missing that may be "worthwhile".

About the religious ETF (excellently coined, I might add), I wonder how they provide ranking or weighting to each religion component basis.

How can you exclude anything? In another thread, I was told I missed out on much good stuff by excluding financials in my portfolio.
I would sincerely appreciate some pointers, since I can't even formulate a google search.

I have 21 years left before my quest for spiritual eternity. (For you religious folks I really not dishing those who believe in an afterlife, I am keeping an open mind.)

As for my sins, a whole lot of gambling, a fair amount of cursing, a bit of drinking, a very small amount of lying, no stealing, and no where near enough cavorting with loose women

My reasons for excluding Islam, or at least the way it is often practiced, is I rather spend eternity in hell, then accept its tenets.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:31 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I have 21 years left before my quest for spiritual eternity. (For you religious folks I really not dishing those who believe in an afterlife, I am keeping an open mind.)
(Said with the greatest sincerity, concern, and non-judgemental attitude I have)

I would hope you keep in mind that old tenet "Many who plan to seek God at 11th hour, die at 10:30."
Snidely Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:40 AM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

I say follow the misery index: The United States Unemployment Rate

When unemployment levels off we may be ready to head back up in the market.
Frugality_of_Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:26 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality_of_Apathy View Post
When unemployment levels off we may be ready to head back up in the market.
Unemployment almost always lags the economy and the market by several months. Unemployment tends to be the last indicator that turns positive in a nascent recovery.

To me the more troubling spot is the sudden spike in yield for long Treasuries (read: mortgage rates). Some say there can't be a significant economic recovery without a housing recovery, and higher mortgage rates add a significant headwind. I suspect a fair number of pending sales are going to fall through because of this, at a time when we need to see more inventory off the market.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:43 AM   #38
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Unemployment almost always lags the economy and the market by several months. Unemployment tends to be the last indicator that turns positive in a nascent recovery.

To me the more troubling spot is the sudden spike in yield for long Treasuries (read: mortgage rates). Some say there can't be a significant economic recovery without a housing recovery, and higher mortgage rates add a significant headwind. I suspect a fair number of pending sales are going to fall through because of this, at a time when we need to see more inventory off the market.
Not to mention what it will do to the majority of Option ARMS that will reset over the next 24 months...

DD
DblDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:50 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Whee!! Have you checked the market yet today? Dow up +220 and climbing! We might just regain all losses eventually.

Just teasing. Move along, move along... nothing to see here...

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:57 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Whee!! Have you checked the market yet today?