Are we approaching the threshold of a bull?

Here is the chart I used. Choose the "advanced" tab, input a ticker (SPX for S&P500), time range and the moving averages.
Wall Street Survivor - Advanced Charts

I'm not advocating technical analysis, just trying to find out what people here think about it and plan to do. Thanks for the interesting feedback, everyone.
It seems that the AA strategy is being discussed even in the hardcore believer circles like boggleheads, if just to reafirm it.
I think it is always good to review the basis of our beliefs from time to time. Investing is not a religion (at least so I think), thus shouldn't have dogmas. Everything is up for discussion for the sake of protecting our financial future.

You can always take out "longevity insurance" from Smith & Wesson.

Thanks, but après vous. I said I still like to watch this perpetual horse race.

However, statistically speaking based simply on our age, it is most likely I may cease to be a spectator before you. But then, I have been watching this race longer, so can't say it is not fair.

I have heard that in SouthEast Asia, there are some sects that bow to God, Christ, Buddha, Muhammad, and perhaps other divine entities from Hinduism. They want to cover all bases, although these religions' beliefs are somewhat mutually exclusive. :ROFLMAO:

Wow part of my master plan when I turn 70 is to start converting to various religion, in case my current agnostic believe turns out to be wrong. The ultimate soul hedging strategy I call it. I was figuring it would take a minimum of 5 years (I am boycotting Islam). I am very excited to hear that there is a Religious ETF it really simplifies my life and allows me to sin for several more years.:angel::LOL:

To you have a name or better yet a link to these sects?

I'm not advocating technical analysis, just trying to find out what people here think about it and plan to do.
Investing is not a religion (at least so I think), thus shouldn't have dogmas.

Yes, I have always kept an open mind. So far, I like to do it "My Way".

I've lived a life that's full.
I've traveled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I've had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

French Song "Comme d'habitude" - English Lyrics by Paul Anka

I hope you don't mind some diversions. If it were my thread, I would welcome the exchanges as they attract curious bystanders, and bring more readership.:angel:

Wow part of my master plan when I turn 70 is to start converting to various religion, in case my current agnostic believe turns out to be wrong. The ultimate soul hedging strategy I call it. I was figuring it would take a minimum of 5 years (I am boycotting Islam). I am very excited to hear that there is a Religious ETF it really simplifies my life and allows me to sin for several more years.:angel::LOL:

Do you have a name or better yet a link to these sects?

I will check around and do research and provide more info if I get some.

Out of curiosity, how many years do you have left to sin before the repentant age of 70, and what kind of sins are you committing? Living a life on a straight and narrow path, I don't know what I am missing that may be "worthwhile".:angel:

About the religious ETF (excellently coined, I might add), I wonder how they provide ranking or weighting to each religion component basis. :D

How can you exclude anything? In another thread, I was told I missed out on much good stuff by excluding financials in my portfolio. :whistle: :ROFLMAO:

Yes, I have always kept an open mind. So far, I like to do it "My Way".
I hope you don't mind some diversions. If it were my thread, I would welcome the exchanges as they attract curious bystanders, and bring more readership.:angel:

Nw-bound,
No problem as to some interim diversions - they help add color to the discussions. Or subtract from red hot:mad: ones.
You've acquired the right to do it your way - you are a happy ER, and I envy, I mean, respect you for that. I'll get there.

I will check around and do research and provide more info if I get some.

Out of curiosity, how many years do you have left to sin before the repentant age of 70, and what kind of sins are you committing? Living a life on a straight and narrow path, I don't know what I am missing that may be "worthwhile".:angel:

About the religious ETF (excellently coined, I might add), I wonder how they provide ranking or weighting to each religion component basis. :D

How can you exclude anything? In another thread, I was told I missed out on much good stuff by excluding financials in my portfolio. :whistle: :ROFLMAO:

I would sincerely appreciate some pointers, since I can't even formulate a google search.

I have 21 years left before my quest for spiritual eternity. (For you religious folks I really not dishing those who believe in an afterlife, I am keeping an open mind.)

As for my sins, a whole lot of gambling, a fair amount of cursing, a bit of drinking, a very small amount of lying, no stealing, and no where near enough cavorting with loose women :D

My reasons for excluding Islam, or at least the way it is often practiced, is I rather spend eternity in hell, then accept its tenets.

I have 21 years left before my quest for spiritual eternity. (For you religious folks I really not dishing those who believe in an afterlife, I am keeping an open mind.)

(Said with the greatest sincerity, concern, and non-judgemental attitude I have)

I would hope you keep in mind that old tenet "Many who plan to seek God at 11th hour, die at 10:30."

When unemployment levels off we may be ready to head back up in the market.
Unemployment almost always lags the economy and the market by several months. Unemployment tends to be the last indicator that turns positive in a nascent recovery.

To me the more troubling spot is the sudden spike in yield for long Treasuries (read: mortgage rates). Some say there can't be a significant economic recovery without a housing recovery, and higher mortgage rates add a significant headwind. I suspect a fair number of pending sales are going to fall through because of this, at a time when we need to see more inventory off the market.

Unemployment almost always lags the economy and the market by several months. Unemployment tends to be the last indicator that turns positive in a nascent recovery.

To me the more troubling spot is the sudden spike in yield for long Treasuries (read: mortgage rates). Some say there can't be a significant economic recovery without a housing recovery, and higher mortgage rates add a significant headwind. I suspect a fair number of pending sales are going to fall through because of this, at a time when we need to see more inventory off the market.

Not to mention what it will do to the majority of Option ARMS that will reset over the next 24 months...

DD

Whee!! Have you checked the market yet today? Dow up +220 and climbing! :D We might just regain all losses eventually.

Just teasing. Move along, move along... nothing to see here...

Last edited:
Would you people please stop already with the negative vibes? This is a time for celebration and unbridled optimism

Besides, the Dow is still way down, so it's gotta go up, right? RIGHT?

Would you people please stop already with the negative vibes? This is a time for celebration and unbridled optimism

Besides, the Dow is still way down, so it's gotta go up, right? RIGHT?

sFun_seehearspeaknoevil.gif

Only 12-13 more days like today and we will hit my prediction of a S&P close of 1240 to end the year.

The cool thing as people feel richer they will spend more, and maybe even be more inclined to buy houses. Rising housing prices of course will help a lot.

As for the debt, no kids no problemo.

Only 12-13 more days like today and we will hit my prediction of a S&P close of 1240 to end the year.

The cool thing as people feel richer they will spend more, and maybe even be more inclined to buy houses. Rising housing prices of course will help a lot.

As for the debt, no kids no problemo.

12-13 days like this, 1240 or higher - this will happen. I guarantee it. Absolutely, with no doubt. You can take that to the bank.

Now, by which year? That part isn't so clear
crystal.gif

Back
Top Bottom