Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-16-2008, 08:18 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I watched a recent episode of Iconoclasts on Sundance channel, featuring Mario Batali and Michael Stipes.

Stipes commented that when listening to music, people create their own mental video based on how the music makes them feel. He felt that music videos deprived the listener of that experience.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2008, 08:36 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
LOL cant imagine why they would block it!
They've started doing that lately.. mucho crackdown on copyrights.. like the "region-coded" DVDs. It really sucks. So arrogant. The region-coding was so that they could release US movies and not have them avail. too early elsewhere, FINE.. BUT this meant that ALL foreign DVDs won't work in the US, even if they are ancient. I have one of those hacked "region-free" NTSC/PAL DVD players but it's hard to get around the Internet unless someone figures out how to hack your ISP id and mask where you are. Likely(?) there are workarounds already.. haven't looked into it, but then I'd imagine you get into not just territory but "terra"tory.

The weird thing is.. if someone is REALLY INTERESTED in a 20-year-old MTV clip.. why isn't there some legit way to view it? I don't understand how it helps (especially older bands) to be invisible on YouTube, even.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:52 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
They've started doing that lately.. mucho crackdown on copyrights..
DW/me were on a Danube Riverboat cruise in September. I had my laptop using the ship's wireless net, and was unable to use Pandora (internet music) since I was outside the US.

I contacted Pandora (while on the boat) and there was no way around the problem since they did not have "licensing" for non-US use, even though I had a valid account and was signed on.

- Ron
Old 04-16-2008, 09:24 PM   #44

-yowsa- and they wonder why the music biz is hurting.
For all they know there could be 10,000,000 potential world wide Jane's Addiction fans that will never even have a taste of their music via a crapola quality YouTube clip.

side note: I am so ancient and out-of-touch I had to look up "Pandora"!

Quote:
Recent copyright developments

Due to recent Copyright Royalty Board rulings that increase fees and ask for licensing guarantees, the Pandora service is no longer available in countries other than the United States.[3][4] These rulings affect all Internet-based radio stations (terrestrial radio is not affected).
An email was sent out to all UK listeners explaining that UK IP addresses would be barred from 15 January 2008.[5]
Pandora (music service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

r, how was the cruise? Sounds nice!
Old 04-16-2008, 10:04 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Ladefina:

I don't know how big your place is, but what about taking in some paying guests short term during the tourists' season. If you're 2 h from Rome then they must be swarming in the summer? And with the dollar so weak, plenty of people would still love to visit Italy but may be looking for cheaper options than 3 star hotels. Then you would earn income in euros.

I have a fantasy of one day having a little pensione in the countryside, except that check-in would only be for 1 h of the day, and everybody in bed by 11.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:33 PM   #46

P.S. thanks for the thought. Too lazy 'n' slobby, frankly to make the place presentable! Crumbling cement pool not a draw, nor is the giant muddy dog. Again, we have options if worse comes to worst. I'd be more likely to rent a room to a fixed boarder if I were to get desperate.. more relaxing and steady.

An English lady I met has a big B&B/restaurant in the area.. I don't envy her; she's really tied to it, tho' she has her Italian husband and in-laws working at it, too.

My alarm is long-term: trying to figure out what to plan for and whither goes the US.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:33 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
ARRRRRRR
I HATED that song from the first time I heard it!

1988.. I was in more of a Jane's Addiction / Leonard Cohen / Nick Cave / They Might be Giants groove.

Funny.. haven't listened to this album in a few years:

LEONARD COHEN
Everybody Knows
(co-written by Sharon Robinson)
I discovered leonard Cohen recently. He is incredible. Here he is, young, singing your song...

Ha
Old 04-17-2008, 03:23 AM   #48

A tune for a world-weary urban bachelor:
Old 04-17-2008, 04:19 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I love this. And the video is superb. I also really like Dance Me To the End Of Time, and Take This Waltz.

But this ol' boy is anything but world weary. I eagerly grab every day!

Ha
Old 04-17-2008, 07:26 AM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
how was the cruise? Sounds nice!
Went north from Budapest. Stopped in Bratislava, Vienna, Melk (Wauchu), Passau, Regensberg, Nuremberg, Prague. Good thing about the tour is (unlimited ) wine served during dinner (all meals provided on the ship) with the local wine of the area we were touring.

Also, we're off to Amsterdam/Brussles next Friday (see the tulips). Unfortunately, this tour is by bus. Usually, we travel by car/train whenever we can, however we did the Danube by boat and the Med by ship (Venice to Barcolona with stops along the way).

- Ron
Old 04-17-2008, 10:16 AM   #51

ladelfina, I think don't think things are as gloomy as all that.

Some things to remember-

1. We are still producing more than we ever have in the past. For all the talk of Americans not producing anything, we seem to have record exports every year. Our problem is that we import even more than we produce. That is bad, but given our standard of living, reducing our consumption to bring us into balance is not the end of the world.

2. The basic credit markets are working just fine. Consumers with decent credit have no difficulty in getting reasonable loans. People are calling this a credit crunch because the availability of foolishly bad home loans have gone away. This isn't a crisis, this is a restoration of historically normal conditions. It will be painful for a lot of recent homeowners and the fools who loaned them more money than they could pay back, but ultimately, people will survive it.

3. Falling home prices have some very positive effects in addition to the negative ones. A big portion of the squeeze on the middle class has been a result of having to pay historically ridiculously high housing costs. Those costs are dropping substancially for new buyers. We will have a large increase in affordable housing if prices fall dramatically.

4. So far this has been a pretty mild recession, despite all the gloom in the media. Job loss has been pretty minimal. Granted, it may get a lot worse before it gets better, but so far I haven't seen the total collapse everyone is talking about. It seems like everytime there is the slighted bump in the road everyone panics. Recessions are not unusual. We have them every 5 years or so. This one will probably be worse than most, but I don't expect a return to the Great Depression.

5. While the falling dollar is really hurting you (sorry about that ), it isn't the end of the world here on the home front. It has been a massive help to any business that sells stuff to the rest of the world. It's helping the US job market to have business be good for exporters. While the negatives outweigh the positives, its not totally one-sided.

Quote:
1.) the USA actually produces ever less and less on an historical basis, yet personally and as a country we are more and more in debt (Cheney: "deficits don't matter")

2.) some measure of increased 'product' was booked during the dot com years.. some of this was actually productive, but the majority not. When that became obvious: recession.

3.) Then people looked for new places to invest, and with low interest rates homes became attractive. So did other debt-backed spending. The gov. measures that were supposed to spur lending and convenience for business did so in spades for consumers. This despite the fact that consumers were borrowing not only to make steps up "the ladder".. but felt they needed to borrow just to keep even with the TRUE Cost of Living.

4.) GDP kept increasing, but only because of the bloat in home "values", mortgages and consumer credit. "Financial services" became 40% of GDP, I believe.. and consumer-related GDP 70%. This was also somehow "productive"... in the way that if I have to pay for pointless packaging, that's productive.. and so is the garbage service that hauls it away.. and so is the space taken up in the landfill... all positive!! There's NEVER a downside! Huzzah! House-swapping, mortage-selling, house-financing became ever more of GDP.

5.) Unnaturally low interest rates meant people could afford "more" house on the same monthly payment. So housing prices rose to meet that threshold.. which was itself further distorted through fraud, wishful thinking, and the fact that banks and mortgage brokers kept making points and commissions on the fervid churn.

6.) But we were "rich"!! The assets on paper were as phenomenal as they were fake.

7., 8., 9., 10.) Plus all the other fun stuff like under-reported real CPI.. under-reported real joblessness (not unemployment measured by who actually signs up for immediate benefits.. JOBLESSness... more than double the unemployment figures).. then ever more people w/o health ins., health ins. covering less and less despite often double-digit premium increases.. now gas doubles in price, now food doubles in price.

Somehow, this all worked great and people were supposedly happy until someone balked. The goat. The Charlie Brown of the faccenda. "Ya know... I'm not suuuure that house is really worth $1.2 million.. 15+x my annual salary"... or .. "ya know, I'm not suuure your AAA-rated MBS/CDO/CLO is really all that and a bag of chips".

Real wages are where they were in the 1970s. The consumer can no longer be counted on to pull the economy forward. The fact that they did for 30 years is due to increased indebtedness otherwise known as reduced solvency. There's no more blood in this turnip.