Are you a born retirement saver?

I have always been a saver also, although I do not have any problem spending money on those things that are very important to me.

I'm a born saver, but it probably comes more from my maternal grandmother than my parents though my mom also tries to save, but she also likes to have nice clothes, repaint interior every 4-5 years, but I don't see value in that. Because of that I'm probably considered stingy:LOL: because trinkets and unnecessary/unpractical stuff in the house bothers me more than gives joy.

I also started reading food labels and serious excercising 2-3 years ago:D

:)Definitely. I have been a saver all of my life. It's just my nature. Luckily my husband and I have similar views on money and are both saving type. He bought me Your Money or Your Life before I turned 30. It's been a guiding principal, though if we had followed it diligently we would have retired years ago. But, we've been steady and consistent. We own our primary home and a small farm. We have two sons to get through college and are mostly relying on current income and some 529 money for that. We chose to pay off our mortgages first as the interest rate on our primary home was more than we were making in our investments at the time.

I have this thing about liking to sleep at night without worrying about money =)

I was raised by my biological parents and they spent EVERYTHING. When times were good, we ate filet mignon and drove Cadillacs. When times were bad, we had to cut everything back. I grew up knowing that I didn't want to live like that. Saving is not hereditary, it is learned. It can be learned by watching frugal parents and following their example, and it can be learned by watching your parents squander their money and knowing that lifestyle is not for you. I saved a lot of my money starting with my first job. I worked all through high school and college. I have always been a saver and at 50 am financially independent (but still working...ugh!). I value financial security more than my parents did.

Back
Top Bottom